Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O 50 Examples of White Privilege in Daily Life

Posted by   + Show Post

50 Examples of White Privilege in Daily Life

Those who believe the U.S. has achieved a color-blind society, or that racism is no longer an issue in American society ought to read some of Peggy McIntosh's reflections on race.  "White privilege" is often invisible, and often denied, but there is little doubt that it exists, she observed. Reflecting on it explodes the myth of meritocracy, and "the myth that democratic choice is equally available to all."

"I was taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group," she wrote. As a white person, she "had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage.... I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was 'meant' to remain oblivious. White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools , and blank checks.  Describing white privilege makes one newly accountable."

She goes on to describe the "daily effects of white privilege" that "as far as I can tell, my African American co-workers, friends and acquaintances...cannot count on most of these conditions."

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.

12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.

25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.

28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.

29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.

30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.

31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.

32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.

33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.

34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.

36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.

37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.

38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.

39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.

40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.

42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.

43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.

44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.

45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.

46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.

47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.

48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.

49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.

50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life

Thoughts

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Replies (251-260):
amberklo
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM
You are so blindsided it is not funny.Like I have said many times try to take a walk.in.someone how to shoes before you judge.

Quoting AdellesMom:

...in all of your posts, you prove the existence of white privilege. You also prove that you're the one with the lax understanding, not me. I'm smart enough to realize that no matter what I say to you, you're not going to take heed and understand. You're not going to see last your own nose long enough to be empathetic. It's sad. But, there's nothing I can do about it.

White privilege isn't about getting "extra privileges." It's about the fact that you won't face what I have to face because you're white. You're not going to see it, it's institutionalized. The white people that do see it have taken the time out to realize that it's there.

Quoting amberklo:

You really have a lax understanding of whites are not as privileged as you think.You have yet to say any extra privileges I get for being white

Quoting amberklo:

Really, that is the way you come off as.Also I should feel bad because I am white

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

Not at all. This black person doesn't need your pity.

You really do have a lax understanding of white privilege, and it's by choice.

Quoting amberklo:

Oh I am sorry maybeI should feel sooo bad because I am white.Your life is just sooo bad.Let me go outside and just give every black person a hug.They are just sooo untitled to so much more.Infact why not the goverment should juat give every black person that is born. money just to help.them threw life.I feel so guilty I was born white.I never knew the pain from day to day a black person must go threw.Is that what you think your life should be like??

Quoting amberklo:

Then please explain to me how I am privileged??I have NEVER had any special privileges in my life.What you named to.was just all racism examples just like me.Also I have Jewish in my blood to.I have ancestors who where in the Holocaust.I would LOVE to hear this

Quoting AdellesMom:

That's because black privilege doesn't exist. Again, you don't understand what white privilege is. You're comparing racism you've experienced to what blacks have to go through. There's no comparison. Sure, racism in any shape or form is bad. However, a white person experience racism doesn't discredit the fact that white privilege exists.

You obviously have no clue who you're dealing with. I realize that everyone has challenges. I also realize that you'll never face 1/100th of what I have to go through simply because you're white. That, in and of itself, proves the existence of white privilege.

You've failed to give any examples that disprove white privilege's existence. This tells me that you don't know what you're talking about.

You don't know whether or not your husband was more qualified for the job than the black man. Thanks for proving my point for me. You assumed that because the man that got hired was black, he wasn't as qualified as your husband. You see, white people don't have to deal with that BS, blacks do.

Quoting amberklo:

The big difference between us is I do not go around and say blacks have privileges.I understand every race has Darren challenges.You do not.

Quoting amberklo:

Have you ever walked into a place where everyone was black working there.You ask for a job and the manger implies that because you are white you will not be a hard worker?Have you had your shop broken into and ths guy was cought on camra.He was let go because the cops where white and they did not want to look like a racist.Have you ever seen a black guy beat the crap out of a 16yr old child then just let go?Have you ever been given dirty looks because you where the only white child in a class room?Have you ever been called a racist just because you are Republican and did not want to vote for Obama?Have you ever jad a house not rented to you because the owner not want to rent to a white couple?Have you ever been told you are privileged because the color of your skin but yet not be able to get a scholarship just because you are not anther race?Have you ever had your husband turned down for a job that he was way more qualified for and a black man get hired instead?Yes these have all really happened to me.I remember going tannig just so my skin would be darker to fit in with kids at school.Have you ever had to do that?I think not.The funny part is while all these things have happened I know not every white person has gone threw this kind of stuff.Now why can't you open your eyes? racism does not just happen towarss one certain race

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL...I see it all around me.

Have you ever been followed in a store because of the color of your skin? Have you ever been to that the only reason that you have a degree is because of affirmative action, and not because of your hard work? Have you ever been told that the only reason you got a job I because of the color of your skin, and not because of your qualifications? Have you ever been kicked out of a restaurant because the owner doesn't serve "your kind?" Have you ever had a cross burned in your front yard? Have you ever had crimes blamed on you because of the color of your skin?

You don't have to worry about 1/100th of the shit I have to worry about. That screams privilege to me.

Quoting amberklo:

All I have to say is walk a mile in a white persons shoes.See how privileged we really are

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM
*Through.

Honey, you have no clue what it is that I realize, and what it is that I don't realize. Have you ever paused to think that you aren't getting the explanation you feel that you need because of the way you come off?

Your refusal to see white privilege doesn't mean that it's nonexistent.

No one said that your skin color makes it to where you can float through life. No one said that white people don't face challenges. You're being overly sensitive for no reason.

Quoting amberklo:

I wpuld like for you to be understanding to but you are not.You need to understand that the or of my skin does not make it to where I can just float threw life.

Quoting AdellesMom:

No, it's not. I want you to be understanding...I want you to be empathetic. But, I can see that I'm talking to a brick walk.

Quoting amberklo:

Really, that is the way you come off as.Also I should feel bad because I am white

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

Quoting amberklo:

Oh I am sorry maybeI should feel sooo bad because I am white.Your life is just sooo bad.Let me go outside and just give every black person a hug.They are just sooo untitled to so much more.Infact why not the goverment should juat give every black person that is born. money just to help.them threw life.I feel so guilty I was born white.I never knew the pain from day to day a black person must go threw.Is that what you think your life should be like??

Quoting amberklo:

Then please explain to me how I am privileged??I have NEVER had any special privileges in my life.What you named to.was just all racism examples just like me.Also I have Jewish in my blood to.I have ancestors who where in the Holocaust.I would LOVE to hear this

Quoting AdellesMom:

That's because black privilege doesn't exist. Again, you don't understand what white privilege is. You're comparing racism you've experienced to what blacks have to go through. There's no comparison. Sure, racism in any shape or form is bad. However, a white person experience racism doesn't discredit the fact that white privilege exists.

You obviously have no clue who you're dealing with. I realize that everyone has challenges. I also realize that you'll never face 1/100th of what I have to go through simply because you're white. That, in and of itself, proves the existence of white privilege.

You've failed to give any examples that disprove white privilege's existence. This tells me that you don't know what you're talking about.

You don't know whether or not your husband was more qualified for the job than the black man. Thanks for proving my point for me. You assumed that because the man that got hired was black, he wasn't as qualified as your husband. You see, white people don't have to deal with that BS, blacks do.

Quoting amberklo:

The big difference between us is I do not go around and say blacks have privileges.I understand every race has Darren challenges.You do not.

Quoting amberklo:

Have you ever walked into a place where everyone was black working there.You ask for a job and the manger implies that because you are white you will not be a hard worker?Have you had your shop broken into and ths guy was cought on camra.He was let go because the cops where white and they did not want to look like a racist.Have you ever seen a black guy beat the crap out of a 16yr old child then just let go?Have you ever been given dirty looks because you where the only white child in a class room?Have you ever been called a racist just because you are Republican and did not want to vote for Obama?Have you ever jad a house not rented to you because the owner not want to rent to a white couple?Have you ever been told you are privileged because the color of your skin but yet not be able to get a scholarship just because you are not anther race?Have you ever had your husband turned down for a job that he was way more qualified for and a black man get hired instead?Yes these have all really happened to me.I remember going tannig just so my skin would be darker to fit in with kids at school.Have you ever had to do that?I think not.The funny part is while all these things have happened I know not every white person has gone threw this kind of stuff.Now why can't you open your eyes? racism does not just happen towarss one certain race

Quoting AdellesMom:

Have you ever been followed in a store because of the color of your skin? Have you ever been to that the only reason that you have a degree is because of affirmative action, and not because of your hard work? Have you ever been told that the only reason you got a job I because of the color of your skin, and not because of your qualifications? Have you ever been kicked out of a restaurant because the owner doesn't serve "your kind?" Have you ever had a cross burned in your front yard? Have you ever had crimes blamed on you because of the color of your skin?

You don't have to worry about 1/100th of the shit I have to worry about. That screams privilege to me.

Quoting amberklo:

All I have to say is walk a mile in a white persons shoes.See how privileged we really are

AdellesMom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Again, I'm not the one that's blindsided here. You're so wrapped around your own thoughts that you fail to realize that you're being overly sensitive and you're misconstruing what I'm saying.

Quoting amberklo:

You are so blindsided it is not funny.Like I have said many times try to take a walk.in.someone how to shoes before you judge.

Quoting AdellesMom:

...in all of your posts, you prove the existence of white privilege. You also prove that you're the one with the lax understanding, not me. I'm smart enough to realize that no matter what I say to you, you're not going to take heed and understand. You're not going to see last your own nose long enough to be empathetic. It's sad. But, there's nothing I can do about it.

White privilege isn't about getting "extra privileges." It's about the fact that you won't face what I have to face because you're white. You're not going to see it, it's institutionalized. The white people that do see it have taken the time out to realize that it's there.

Quoting amberklo:

You really have a lax understanding of whites are not as privileged as you think.You have yet to say any extra privileges I get for being white

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Why don't white people just use the "born this way" defense.....

amberklo
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Same as you.You do not know me.You do not know what I have been threw.You may have not intended for this post to make people feel this way but you do.Of course I'm sensitive about this subject I have experience racism many times growing up.I never in my life have gotten treated better then anyone because of the color of my skin.It was always the other way around for me. I seen people get away with thing just because they are black.I know not all black people have that privilege.I just wish you can see not all.white do either.

Quoting AdellesMom:

*Through.

No. I'm not. You clearly know nothing about me.

I haven't tried to make you feel bad for anything. You're being overly sensitive, and I do NOT eat you to feel bad because you're white. There's a difference between being empathetic (understanding), and sympathetic (feeling sorry for someone or something).

I would LOVE for you to walk a mile in my shoes. I realize that it's never going to happen.

Also, I'm a minority. So, I share very similar experiences with other minorities. Hell, my husband is Latino. You really should think before your write.

Quoting amberklo:

You are only seeing what blacks go threw .You are looking at the whites,mexicans and all the other races.You have yet to name anything that has made me or my family privileged.The only thing you have tried to do was make me feel bad for the color of my skin.Like we do not work as hard for the things I do have because I am white.I would LOVE for you to walk in.any other racist shoes and then tell me how bad blacks have it

Quoting AdellesMom:

Honey, I'm not refusing to see anything. This article has to do with America. Like I said, the Holocaust is sad. However, it has nothing to do with America.

Blacks have it pretty bad, and I see many things. I'm sorry that you can't see beyond your nose long enough to understand a different perception.

Quoting amberklo:

It happenes though my ancestors received just as much as yours did.No you are refusing to see anything easle but how bad you think blacks have it

Quoting AdellesMom:

I have already explained it to you. You're refusing to accept the explanation.

The Holocaust didn't happen in America.

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

lucky2785
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I'm mad I wasted my time reading that. For each "point made" I can think of circumstances to contradict that. A lot of it is more income based, my husband is military so we are low income. Maybe that lifestyle has caused me to me to see it different than this. One thing that struck a dumb nerve-about going to school and finding a class to represent my culture- when have you ever heard of a white history class or white cultural studies? Pointless smut article.
amberklo
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I guess coming from the other side of things It is hard to understand where you are coming from.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Again, I'm not the one that's blindsided here. You're so wrapped around your own thoughts that you fail to realize that you're being overly sensitive and you're misconstruing what I'm saying.

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

LOL!

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

How did you get that from this discussion?  That is an overration to the meaning and reality of what white privledge means.  

I always see the problem of people getting so defensive.  That isn't what it is about, that is just minimizing the reality, changing what people are saying.

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

lucky2785
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM
"You can't see past your nose...." was that a Jew joke? That's not very nice.

Quoting amberklo:

Same as you.You do not know me.You do not know what I have been threw.You may have not intended for this post to make people feel this way but you do.Of course I'm sensitive about this subject I have experience racism many times growing up.I never in my life have gotten treated better then anyone because of the color of my skin.It was always the other way around for me. I seen people get away with thing just because they are black.I know not all black people have that privilege.I just wish you can see not all.white do either.

Quoting AdellesMom:

*Through.

I haven't tried to make you feel bad for anything. You're being overly sensitive, and I do NOT eat you to feel bad because you're white. There's a difference between being empathetic (understanding), and sympathetic (feeling sorry for someone or something).

I would LOVE for you to walk a mile in my shoes. I realize that it's never going to happen.

Also, I'm a minority. So, I share very similar experiences with other minorities. Hell, my husband is Latino. You really should think before your write.

Quoting amberklo:

You are only seeing what blacks go threw .You are looking at the whites,mexicans and all the other races.You have yet to name anything that has made me or my family privileged.The only thing you have tried to do was make me feel bad for the color of my skin.Like we do not work as hard for the things I do have because I am white.I would LOVE for you to walk in.any other racist shoes and then tell me how bad blacks have it

Quoting AdellesMom:

Honey, I'm not refusing to see anything. This article has to do with America. Like I said, the Holocaust is sad. However, it has nothing to do with America.

Blacks have it pretty bad, and I see many things. I'm sorry that you can't see beyond your nose long enough to understand a different perception.

Quoting amberklo:

It happenes though my ancestors received just as much as yours did.No you are refusing to see anything easle but how bad you think blacks have it

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

AdellesMom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Again, white privilege has nothing to do with obvious racism. Le sigh.

This is like trying to get my three year old to understand Calculus!!

I've never seen a black person get away with something because they're black. Never v

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

*Through.

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Quoting amberklo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)