Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Body art discriminantion in the workplace

Posted by   + Show Post
"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 . Title VII prohibits discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, and national original. Title VII applies to all private employers, state and local governments, and education
institutions that employ 15 or more individuals. Rehabilitation Act of 1973. This law essentially applies the standards of Title VII to the federal government as an
employer. Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. The Fair Pay Act changes when the statute of limitations begins for workers’ claims of
pay discrimination under Title VII and the Age Discrimination
in Employment Act (ADEA) to declare that an unlawful
employment practice occurs not only when a discriminatory
pay decision or practice is adopted but also when the
employee becomes subject to the decision or practice, as well as each additional application of that decision or
practice. In other words, each time compensation is paid. Equal Pay Act. The EPA prohibits sex-based pay discrimination between men and women who perform under
similar working conditions. The EPA applies to all employers
covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA). The PDA, which is part of Title VII, prohibits discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The FMLA prohibits discrimination against pregnant women and
parents as well as employees with serious health conditions.
In 2008, two new types of FMLA leave were created which
gives job-protected leave for family of members of the armed services. Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). The ADEA prohibits discrimination against employees age 40
and older. The ADEA covers private employers with 20 or
more employees, state and local governments (including
school districts), employment agencies, and labor
organizations. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA). The ADA and ADAAA prohibit discrimination against a qualified employees or job
applicants with a disability because of the disability,
association with someone with a disability, or because the
employer sees an employee as disabled, even if he actually
isn’t. The ADA and ADAAA applies to the same list of
employers as Title VII. Nineteenth Century Civil Rights Act. This Act, amended in 1993, ensure all persons equal rights under the
law and outline the damages available under the Civil Rights
Act of 1964, Title VII, the ADA, and the 1973 Rehabilitation
Act. Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act (GINA).The federal Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) prohibits employers, employment
agencies, and labor unions from discriminating against employees based on genetic information. It also prohibits insurers from charging higher premiums based on genetic
information or from using genetic information in underwriting
decisions. In addition to federal laws, many states also have laws similar to the ones above prohibiting discrimination and some include even more protected categories than the
federal laws cover. State-by-state comparision of 50 laws in all 50 states including discrimination laws Sexual orientation discrimination On June 24, 2009, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act ( ENDA) of 2009 was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives. ENDA is a proposed federal law that would
prohibit sexual orientation discrimination in the workplace. Sexual orientation discrimination currently is not explicitly
prohibited under federal law. Certain states have enacted
discrimination laws that apply to homosexual, bisexual, and
transsexual individuals. In some states, sexual orientation
discrimination is prohibited only in certain municipalities.
There have also been attempts to provide discrimination protections through court cases interpreting existing sex
discrimination laws."

(source: topics.hrhero.com/discrimination-in-the-workplace/#)

*****All of these things are protected in regards to employment, however in 2013 body art discrimination is still alive and well, and socially acceptable. The reasoning is often because of the fear of "offending" a patron, yet other possibly offensive things are protected (as they should be IMO) such as national origin, religion including religious garments, gender identity, etc.
I understand employers may not want someone with, say, large ear gauges, or many tattoos, however there are employees who also don't want blacks or forigners, those of other religions, women, or open homosexuals, and those people still get the protection they deserve.

Why is this still acceptable in our culture? Do you agree or disagree with it? No bashing, let's all be big girls :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (31-40):
KTU
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

No, I think it is a choice and should not be protected under any law, state or federal. Every choice in life has a consequence. I think people should evaluate those consequences before making the choice.

I have 3 tattoos, all were done before the age of 21. Even at that age, I knew that someday, I would have to get a professional job, and that tattoos probably were not something employers wanted to see. All 3 of mine can be covered by everyday clothing.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

People are constantly warned about this, so they should not be surprised. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

You make the choice when it comes to body modification.

I certainly would not hire some one with huge ear gages, holes all over their face (and my nose is pierced) or tattoos covering their body, offensive tats or otherwise.  I also have a tattoo.

Extreme is one thing, moderate is different.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting LAHnTAH0812:

there's a customer who comes into my work frequently who's face is striped like a tiger's. i'd say he probably would say he felt he was born as a tiger incarnate or something.
i really don't see the difference. we are all supposed to be tolerable of each other.

Quoting mustloveanimals:

It is like a dress code, it is all about creating a professional atmosphere. Sorry but tatttoos on your face definitely doesn't scream "professional."

And no, someone who "chooses" to represent a different gender would say they are NOT making a choice but just dressing the part that they felt they were really born as. One cannot make the same argument for body art.

You really don't see the ridiculousness of this statement?

If some one felt they were a cat incarnate, I am going to re-think hiring them.  Sorry.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Woodbabe:

When you choose to do this stuff to yourself, you are forced to accept that there WILL be consequences. Does this guy look like he'd get hired to be a Kindergarten Teacher?

That is disgusting.

I don't care what that makes me. lol  He may be, and probably is, a wonderful person.  But he looks otherwise, in my own opinion, and I would not hire him...based solely on the obvious choices he has made.

At work, there is a dress code.  We are to adhere to that dress code and we were made aware of it at the time of hiring.  We can have a nose piercing, as I have one, but if it is any thing other than a small, simple stud, it cannot be worn.

Tattoos are not to be 'overly visable'.  Some have a few on their wrists, which is acceptable as long as there is no nudity of profanity.  Others have some incredible ink in places that cannot be seen while at work.  Good for them.  You can't see mine but if people could, they would only chuckle. lol

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I have always told my girls, you want to cover yourself in ink, that is your choice.  But keep in mind, you may find out that reality isn't what you think it is.  You make the choice to advertise like that some people will not buy it.  Nor will it be acceptable to all employers, nor should it be.

Goes right along with how one dresses, their hygiene and otherwise in the work place.

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Body art is a choice. You can't discriminate against someone over something that is not a choice. This article is ridiculous. If you are covered head to toe in tattoos, you are going to have a hard time getting a job. That's common sense. If you want tattoos, get them in places that are easily covered. Don't expect the government to force people to hire you against their will (although this administration likes to do things like that) for something you had control over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I think it's reasonable for an employer to have some kind of dress code to help customers as well as employees focus on the job. 

I tend to find tattoos visually distracting, along with Speedos and fascinators, and I would prefer to focus on what my lawyer is saying to me or what the violinist is playing, so I appreciate some covering up.  However, the clerk at CVS, the person frying my burger?  Tattoo and pierce away, it's not going to affect my experience. 

The policy should fit with the workplace. 

lga1965
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting Woodbabe:

When you choose to do this stuff to yourself, you are forced to accept that there WILL be consequences. Does this guy look like he'd get hired to be a Kindergarten Teacher?

throwing upoh my goodness.....he needs serious psychotherapy. That had to be expensive and had to hurt ......and looks horrible.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

What about a swimming instructor in a speedo? Oy vey the conundrum 

:)

Quoting momtoscott:

I think it's reasonable for an employer to have some kind of dress code to help customers as well as employees focus on the job. 

I tend to find tattoos visually distracting, along with Speedos and fascinators, and I would prefer to focus on what my lawyer is saying to me or what the violinist is playing, so I appreciate some covering up.  However, the clerk at CVS, the person frying my burger?  Tattoo and pierce away, it's not going to affect my experience. 

The policy should fit with the workplace. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)