Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Body art discriminantion in the workplace

Posted by   + Show Post
"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 . Title VII prohibits discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, and national original. Title VII applies to all private employers, state and local governments, and education
institutions that employ 15 or more individuals. Rehabilitation Act of 1973. This law essentially applies the standards of Title VII to the federal government as an
employer. Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. The Fair Pay Act changes when the statute of limitations begins for workers’ claims of
pay discrimination under Title VII and the Age Discrimination
in Employment Act (ADEA) to declare that an unlawful
employment practice occurs not only when a discriminatory
pay decision or practice is adopted but also when the
employee becomes subject to the decision or practice, as well as each additional application of that decision or
practice. In other words, each time compensation is paid. Equal Pay Act. The EPA prohibits sex-based pay discrimination between men and women who perform under
similar working conditions. The EPA applies to all employers
covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA). The PDA, which is part of Title VII, prohibits discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The FMLA prohibits discrimination against pregnant women and
parents as well as employees with serious health conditions.
In 2008, two new types of FMLA leave were created which
gives job-protected leave for family of members of the armed services. Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). The ADEA prohibits discrimination against employees age 40
and older. The ADEA covers private employers with 20 or
more employees, state and local governments (including
school districts), employment agencies, and labor
organizations. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA). The ADA and ADAAA prohibit discrimination against a qualified employees or job
applicants with a disability because of the disability,
association with someone with a disability, or because the
employer sees an employee as disabled, even if he actually
isn’t. The ADA and ADAAA applies to the same list of
employers as Title VII. Nineteenth Century Civil Rights Act. This Act, amended in 1993, ensure all persons equal rights under the
law and outline the damages available under the Civil Rights
Act of 1964, Title VII, the ADA, and the 1973 Rehabilitation
Act. Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act (GINA).The federal Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) prohibits employers, employment
agencies, and labor unions from discriminating against employees based on genetic information. It also prohibits insurers from charging higher premiums based on genetic
information or from using genetic information in underwriting
decisions. In addition to federal laws, many states also have laws similar to the ones above prohibiting discrimination and some include even more protected categories than the
federal laws cover. State-by-state comparision of 50 laws in all 50 states including discrimination laws Sexual orientation discrimination On June 24, 2009, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act ( ENDA) of 2009 was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives. ENDA is a proposed federal law that would
prohibit sexual orientation discrimination in the workplace. Sexual orientation discrimination currently is not explicitly
prohibited under federal law. Certain states have enacted
discrimination laws that apply to homosexual, bisexual, and
transsexual individuals. In some states, sexual orientation
discrimination is prohibited only in certain municipalities.
There have also been attempts to provide discrimination protections through court cases interpreting existing sex
discrimination laws."

(source: topics.hrhero.com/discrimination-in-the-workplace/#)

*****All of these things are protected in regards to employment, however in 2013 body art discrimination is still alive and well, and socially acceptable. The reasoning is often because of the fear of "offending" a patron, yet other possibly offensive things are protected (as they should be IMO) such as national origin, religion including religious garments, gender identity, etc.
I understand employers may not want someone with, say, large ear gauges, or many tattoos, however there are employees who also don't want blacks or forigners, those of other religions, women, or open homosexuals, and those people still get the protection they deserve.

Why is this still acceptable in our culture? Do you agree or disagree with it? No bashing, let's all be big girls :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (71-80):
lga1965
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

"Uptight" people? Wow. First you mention "old people" and now you say "uptight people". You are really judgemental and have no clue as to how important your presentation is and how it effects people in the business world, for instance. If you like tattoos and all that, you will be able to get a job as a bartender or in show biz. But if you have a college degree and want to have a real  CAREER in accounting and finance, for example, in a professional setting, you won't be getting a mess of tattoos. That's reality.Deal with it.

Its not an age thing and it's  NOT  being "uptight".....

Quoting lilbit53009:

where do u live? I honestly think that makes a difference too. atleast the majority...obviously the will always be uptight people.

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting lilbit53009:

this is getting and eventually will be phased out. as all the old people retire and the newer generation is running the businesses

I am the new generation. I don't allow visible tattoos in our place of business... my kids find them offensive too, and the oldest is 16... BTW, some of our employees at age 70, have tattoos too... it doesn't equate with age.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this
"You" can choose to do whatever "you" want to your body. I, don't have to hire you.
lga1965
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM

True....tattoos and piercings are welcomed in tattoo salons and piercings establishments. That kind of limits where you can find a job, know what I mean?

Let's say you want to go to college and major in something that will  lead to a career...a postion in a professional setting. Well....all the tattoos and piercings will not LOOK professional. Its just reality.

Its a decision we all make. How do we tailor our own tastes to reality....how do we adapt to how the world really works?

Quoting punky3175:

I'm the same way. The salon I chose when I moved 3 years ago is full of women with visible tattoos. But I'm also tattooed so that probably colors my opinion of such things. Granted, none of them are like Kat what's-her-face (LA Ink) but they all have at least one if not more and are in visible locations.

I think seeing employees with visible tattoos makes me think the company is more open minded. I love when the pizza delivery kid with gauged ears shows up to deliver my pizza. He's always so polite and happy. :-)

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Woodbabe:

I think its because body art is something you electively choose to do to yourself to express who you are to the world.

You can say its not fair to judge you, but the harsh reality is that yes, you are judged. You are judged everyday on how to choose to present yourself to the world.

I am always pleasantly surprised to see people who have visable tattoos and piercings in places I'm not used to seeing that. I'm not bothered by it all and I really want to patron those places more frequently. I do agree with you and I was going to post something similar.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Ask yourself what careers you may want later in life then view those types if they do not have it you don't get it. Pretty simple. Companies base hiring on the clientele they wish to keep. Look at Walmart's rep they hire anyone and everyone.

punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I'm talking hair salon. Not tattoo salon.

I work in a very professional setting (men are expected in suits daily and women the equivalent.) I can't count the number of people I've seen in this very large organization with visible tattoos rather they are on legs, wrists, arms etc. And we all work at the headquarters level with our biggest boss there. Tattoos are not nearly as taboo as many people seem to think.

Quoting lga1965:

True....tattoos and piercings are welcomed in tattoo salons and piercings establishments. That kind of limits where you can find a job, know what I mean?

Let's say you want to go to college and major in something that will  lead to a career...a postion in a professional setting. Well....all the tattoos and piercings will not LOOK professional. Its just reality.

Its a decision we all make. How do we tailor our own tastes to reality....how do we adapt to how the world really works?

Quoting punky3175:

I'm the same way. The salon I chose when I moved 3 years ago is full of women with visible tattoos. But I'm also tattooed so that probably colors my opinion of such things. Granted, none of them are like Kat what's-her-face (LA Ink) but they all have at least one if not more and are in visible locations.

I think seeing employees with visible tattoos makes me think the company is more open minded. I love when the pizza delivery kid with gauged ears shows up to deliver my pizza. He's always so polite and happy. :-)

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Woodbabe:

I think its because body art is something you electively choose to do to yourself to express who you are to the world.

You can say its not fair to judge you, but the harsh reality is that yes, you are judged. You are judged everyday on how to choose to present yourself to the world.

I am always pleasantly surprised to see people who have visable tattoos and piercings in places I'm not used to seeing that. I'm not bothered by it all and I really want to patron those places more frequently. I do agree with you and I was going to post something similar.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

He made sure he was able to cover it. That was smart

Quoting wickedfiress:

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM

If you choose to look like a painted up nutball that's your choice, and you choose to live with the fact that most professional employers won't touch you with a 10 foot pole.

That being said, I've seen body art that I actually love, and I'm not saying that I stereotype anyone with a lot of body art.

punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM
'The way you have been raised and the amount of education and your ambitions determine if you like tattoos or not'

I have to disagree with this. I'm assuming you don't personally know many people with tattoos. I know many women (and men) working in very professional environments, holding Masters degrees who are 'heavily' tattooed. My mom got her first tattoo when she was I her 40's. she now has 5 (last I asked.) I have 6 with 7 planned. I get them because I like them and they mean something (represent a phase of my life.) And when my mother and I got tattoo #5 together, I got it on my wrist because at 35, I no longer cared if people were going to judge me based on my having tattoos and I was able to handle the attention visible tattoos bring. At work, in meetings they are more or less covered (if my sleeve comes up they can be seen.) But outside of work, if someone wants to judge me based on visible tattoos on my wrists - that's their problem - not mine. I don't get them for others - I get them for me.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting lilbit53009:

this is getting and eventually will be phased out. as all the old people retire and the newer generation is running the businesses

all the "old people" ? LOL.

My daughters and their kids are not old and they are not fans of tatoos and multiple piercings. The age of the people is not an issue. The way you have been raised and the amount of education and your ambitions determine if you like tattoos or not . Also, there is the issue of  how professional you want to look and how successful you hope to be.

punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM
No - it isn't reality. And you are coming across as the INSANELY judgy one in this thread.

Quoting lga1965:

"Uptight" people? Wow. First you mention "old people" and now you say "uptight people". You are really judgemental and have no clue as to how important your presentation is and how it effects people in the business world, for instance. If you like tattoos and all that, you will be able to get a job as a bartender or in show biz. But if you have a college degree and want to have a real  CAREER in accounting and finance, for example, in a professional setting, you won't be getting a mess of tattoos. That's reality.Deal with it.

Its not an age thing and it's  NOT  being "uptight".....

Quoting lilbit53009:

where do u live? I honestly think that makes a difference too. atleast the majority...obviously the will always be uptight people.

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting lilbit53009:

I am the new generation. I don't allow visible tattoos in our place of business... my kids find them offensive too, and the oldest is 16... BTW, some of our employees at age 70, have tattoos too... it doesn't equate with age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)