Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Body art discriminantion in the workplace

Posted by   + Show Post
"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 . Title VII prohibits discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, and national original. Title VII applies to all private employers, state and local governments, and education
institutions that employ 15 or more individuals. Rehabilitation Act of 1973. This law essentially applies the standards of Title VII to the federal government as an
employer. Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. The Fair Pay Act changes when the statute of limitations begins for workers’ claims of
pay discrimination under Title VII and the Age Discrimination
in Employment Act (ADEA) to declare that an unlawful
employment practice occurs not only when a discriminatory
pay decision or practice is adopted but also when the
employee becomes subject to the decision or practice, as well as each additional application of that decision or
practice. In other words, each time compensation is paid. Equal Pay Act. The EPA prohibits sex-based pay discrimination between men and women who perform under
similar working conditions. The EPA applies to all employers
covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA). The PDA, which is part of Title VII, prohibits discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The FMLA prohibits discrimination against pregnant women and
parents as well as employees with serious health conditions.
In 2008, two new types of FMLA leave were created which
gives job-protected leave for family of members of the armed services. Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). The ADEA prohibits discrimination against employees age 40
and older. The ADEA covers private employers with 20 or
more employees, state and local governments (including
school districts), employment agencies, and labor
organizations. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA). The ADA and ADAAA prohibit discrimination against a qualified employees or job
applicants with a disability because of the disability,
association with someone with a disability, or because the
employer sees an employee as disabled, even if he actually
isn’t. The ADA and ADAAA applies to the same list of
employers as Title VII. Nineteenth Century Civil Rights Act. This Act, amended in 1993, ensure all persons equal rights under the
law and outline the damages available under the Civil Rights
Act of 1964, Title VII, the ADA, and the 1973 Rehabilitation
Act. Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act (GINA).The federal Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) prohibits employers, employment
agencies, and labor unions from discriminating against employees based on genetic information. It also prohibits insurers from charging higher premiums based on genetic
information or from using genetic information in underwriting
decisions. In addition to federal laws, many states also have laws similar to the ones above prohibiting discrimination and some include even more protected categories than the
federal laws cover. State-by-state comparision of 50 laws in all 50 states including discrimination laws Sexual orientation discrimination On June 24, 2009, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act ( ENDA) of 2009 was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives. ENDA is a proposed federal law that would
prohibit sexual orientation discrimination in the workplace. Sexual orientation discrimination currently is not explicitly
prohibited under federal law. Certain states have enacted
discrimination laws that apply to homosexual, bisexual, and
transsexual individuals. In some states, sexual orientation
discrimination is prohibited only in certain municipalities.
There have also been attempts to provide discrimination protections through court cases interpreting existing sex
discrimination laws."

(source: topics.hrhero.com/discrimination-in-the-workplace/#)

*****All of these things are protected in regards to employment, however in 2013 body art discrimination is still alive and well, and socially acceptable. The reasoning is often because of the fear of "offending" a patron, yet other possibly offensive things are protected (as they should be IMO) such as national origin, religion including religious garments, gender identity, etc.
I understand employers may not want someone with, say, large ear gauges, or many tattoos, however there are employees who also don't want blacks or forigners, those of other religions, women, or open homosexuals, and those people still get the protection they deserve.

Why is this still acceptable in our culture? Do you agree or disagree with it? No bashing, let's all be big girls :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (81-90):
lga1965
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM

well, then you are lucky and your place of business is the exception because usually tattoos are not well received. And that's not my judgement, its just what is a reality . There are all kinds of things , conditions, restrictions, rules, etc. that life presents us that are not what we like but we have to adapt anyway.

I worked at a BIG national bank a few years ago . One of the girls in our department ( account services and deposit balancing) had a tongue piercing. It was difficult to understand her--her tongue piercing made her speech odd. And she had a few tattoos also. Several people were helping train her in her postion. We found that she was pretty much untrainable and hard to communicate with besides. I was surprised they hired her.... but then I found out that she had her tongue pierced after being hired. It just doesn't work in a professional setting where you need to perform and communicate to prefer a lifestyle that screams "Unprofessional". Tattoos that can be covered and no obvious piercings is the usual expectation and standard.

Quoting punky3175:

I'm talking hair salon. Not tattoo salon.

I work in a very professional setting (men are expected in suits daily and women the equivalent.) I can't count the number of people I've seen in this very large organization with visible tattoos rather they are on legs, wrists, arms etc. And we all work at the headquarters level with our biggest boss there. Tattoos are not nearly as taboo as many people seem to think.

Quoting lga1965:

True....tattoos and piercings are welcomed in tattoo salons and piercings establishments. That kind of limits where you can find a job, know what I mean?

Let's say you want to go to college and major in something that will  lead to a career...a postion in a professional setting. Well....all the tattoos and piercings will not LOOK professional. Its just reality.

Its a decision we all make. How do we tailor our own tastes to reality....how do we adapt to how the world really works?

Quoting punky3175:

I'm the same way. The salon I chose when I moved 3 years ago is full of women with visible tattoos. But I'm also tattooed so that probably colors my opinion of such things. Granted, none of them are like Kat what's-her-face (LA Ink) but they all have at least one if not more and are in visible locations.

I think seeing employees with visible tattoos makes me think the company is more open minded. I love when the pizza delivery kid with gauged ears shows up to deliver my pizza. He's always so polite and happy. :-)

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Woodbabe:

I think its because body art is something you electively choose to do to yourself to express who you are to the world.

You can say its not fair to judge you, but the harsh reality is that yes, you are judged. You are judged everyday on how to choose to present yourself to the world.

I am always pleasantly surprised to see people who have visable tattoos and piercings in places I'm not used to seeing that. I'm not bothered by it all and I really want to patron those places more frequently. I do agree with you and I was going to post something similar.

lga1965
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM

That poster was the "Judgy" one...she's labeling people as "old" or "uptight" and I disagree. ANd I am discussing reality, and that is what counts. Its hard to accept that everyone might not like what you want to do with your appearance. But sometimes you have to"conform". We all have to make adjustments in all kinds of real life situations.

Sorry but she makes me really angry with HER "judgy"repies.

Quoting punky3175:

No - it isn't reality. And you are coming across as the INSANELY judgy one in this thread.

Quoting lga1965:

"Uptight" people? Wow. First you mention "old people" and now you say "uptight people". You are really judgemental and have no clue as to how important your presentation is and how it effects people in the business world, for instance. If you like tattoos and all that, you will be able to get a job as a bartender or in show biz. But if you have a college degree and want to have a real  CAREER in accounting and finance, for example, in a professional setting, you won't be getting a mess of tattoos. That's reality.Deal with it.

Its not an age thing and it's  NOT  being "uptight".....

Quoting lilbit53009:

where do u live? I honestly think that makes a difference too. atleast the majority...obviously the will always be uptight people.

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting lilbit53009:

this is getting and eventually will be phased out. as all the old people retire and the newer generation is running the businesses

I am the new generation. I don't allow visible tattoos in our place of business... my kids find them offensive too, and the oldest is 16... BTW, some of our employees at age 70, have tattoos too... it doesn't equate with age.

punky3175
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Do you not see how you're coming across the same way? Times are changing and 'conforming' can mean different things than what they did when you were in the work force. Generation X on down are more accepting of people expressing themselves and not passing judgement just because some one has purple hair and visible tattoos. We take time to get to know the person before deciding if they are 'worthy' of our time and attention. If we're lucky maybe we'll learn why they chose the tattoos they did because usually there are at least interesting stories behind most of them.

Quoting lga1965:

That poster was the "Judgy" one...she's labeling people as "old" or "uptight" and I disagree. ANd I am discussing reality, and that is what counts. Its hard to accept that everyone might not like what you want to do with your appearance. But sometimes you have to"conform". We all have to make adjustments in all kinds of real life situations.

Quoting punky3175:

No - it isn't reality. And you are coming across as the INSANELY judgy one in this thread.

Quoting lga1965:

"Uptight" people? Wow. First you mention "old people" and now you say "uptight people". You are really judgemental and have no clue as to how important your presentation is and how it effects people in the business world, for instance. If you like tattoos and all that, you will be able to get a job as a bartender or in show biz. But if you have a college degree and want to have a real  CAREER in accounting and finance, for example, in a professional setting, you won't be getting a mess of tattoos. That's reality.Deal with it.

Quoting lilbit53009:

where do u live? I honestly think that makes a difference too. atleast the majority...obviously the will always be uptight people.

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting lilbit53009:

this is getting and eventually will be phased out. as all the old people retire and the newer generation is running the businesses

I am the new generation. I don't allow visible tattoos in our place of business... my kids find them offensive too, and the oldest is 16... BTW, some of our employees at age 70, have tattoos too... it doesn't equate with age.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I think since homophobia is still allowed, let's start there, shall we?

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

lga1965
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM

"Times are changing" ...a new generation? How can you decide that you know what they are all like?I guess you can't accept that there are a whole bunch of the "new generation" who wouldn't get a tattoo to save their lives and they dress conservatively . I know them. i see them at schools here.My daughter who volunteers does too. Tattooed kids  are a minority, not the usual thing . And of course their parents are rarely tattooed. Maybe there is a difference in the way we live, based on where we all live . I live in a conservative midwestern environment where kids grow up to be "preppy teens"who don't even smoke ( but not due to being church goers) because they are athletes ( top seeded tennis players on the high school team and friends who are just the same and softball team members...soccer players ,football players, etc. all healthy,no vices)   and they have  whole different version of what is COOL than your version? Get it?

Maybe you shouldn't be stereotyping "the new generation" ,huh?(And their parents who have no tattoos would object.) Is that possible for you to accept?

I bet if I went to the city and inner city schools there would be more of the tattoo culture,. But that doesn't mean that EVERYONE belongs to it.And  I think you need to open your mind to the possibility .I was just recently in the work force afew years ago.  Things haven't changed that radically ....LOL. You assume TOO much.

Just don't start judging ME.

Quoting punky3175:

Do you not see how you're coming across the same way? Times are changing and 'conforming' can mean different things than what they did when you were in the work force. Generation X on down are more accepting of people expressing themselves and not passing judgement just because some one has purple hair and visible tattoos. We take time to get to know the person before deciding if they are 'worthy' of our time and attention. If we're lucky maybe we'll learn why they chose the tattoos they did because usually there are at least interesting stories behind most of them.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting lilbit53009:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting lilbit53009:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

When I open my business.. you have to have at least one visible tat to be employed.. :3

OneToughMami
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting lilbit53009:

all the "old people" ? LOL.

My daughters and their kids are not old and they are not fans of tatoos and multiple piercings. The age of the people is not an issue. The way you have been raised and the amount of education and your ambitions determine if you like tattoos or not . Also, there is the issue of  how professional you want to look and how successful you hope to be.

Eh, you can be highly educated with tattoos. I know a few doctors with sleeves. You have to have ambition and education to match your tattoos.

punky3175
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Calm down. You are the one dictating what is 'reality' with no caveats. I 'get it' just fine and (contrary to the way YOU are coming across) I have no issues about whether people get tattoos or not. I've never claimed to know everyone in a certain age group. That would be absurd. Kind of like you're getting so defensive because you've been called out on your absurd sweeping generalizations about people with tattoos. You continue to show your ignorance of people with tattoos the more you post and continue to go on the defensive. There isn't a 'tattoo' culture. I'm not from the city - I'm a proud Southerner and I didn't get tattoos because I thought they were 'cool' - I got them because I wanted them and I've always done what I wanted without worrying what others would think. I'd think at your age you'd be a little less worried about what people on the Internet thought of you and not to on the defensive so easily.

And my mind is very open. I accept (without judgment, condescension or sweeping generalizations) people from all walks of life - tattooed, single parent, different religion (or none), different ethnicity, different country of origin. And my kids are the same. There's no comments about 'not getting tattoos if their life depended on it' because that is INSANELY judgy showing that you look down your nose at people with tattoos. You really shouldn't care what someone else chooses to do with their body. You're pro-choice, right?

Quoting lga1965:

"Times are changing" ...a new generation? How can you decide that you know what they are all like?I guess you can't accept that there are a whole bunch of the "new generation" who wouldn't get a tattoo to save their lives and they dress conservatively . I know them. i see them at schools here.My daughter who volunteers does too. Tattooed kids  are a minority, not the usual thing . And of course their parents are rarely tattooed. Maybe there is a difference in the way we live, based on where we all live . I live in a conservative midwestern environment where kids grow up to be "preppy teens"who don't even smoke ( but not due to being church goers) because they are athletes ( top seeded tennis players on the high school team and friends who are just the same and softball team members...soccer players ,football players, etc. all healthy,no vices)   and they have  whole different version of what is COOL than your version? Get it?

Maybe you shouldn't be stereotyping "the new generation" ,huh?(And their parents who have no tattoos would object.) Is that possible for you to accept?

I bet if I went to the city and inner city schools there would be more of the tattoo culture,. But that doesn't mean that EVERYONE belongs to it.And  I think you need to open your mind to the possibility .I was just recently in the work force afew years ago.  Things haven't changed that radically ....LOL. You assume TOO much.

Just don't start judging ME.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting lilbit53009:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting lilbit53009:

lga1965
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Bottom line: It is not discrimination for a person hiring to not approve of visible tattoos because a tattoo is a choice. If you choose to get tattoos, you are responsible for the results.

That's all. This thread is getting boring, Tattoos are not that exciting or important in the scheme of things.There are bigger things in the world to think about,.

punky3175
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM
On this we agree. Employers are entitled to not hire someone because they don't approve of the image that person presents. And there are WAY more important things to worry about than whether or not someone has tattoos.

Quoting lga1965:

Bottom line: It is not discrimination for a person hiring to not approve of visible tattoos because a tattoo is a choice. If you choose to get tattoos, you are responsible for the results.

That's all. This thread is getting boring, Tattoos are not that exciting or important in the scheme of things.There are bigger things in the world to think about,.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN