Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Baby Girl Flung from Car Crash... (Video)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Jes
  • 32 Replies

MOSCOW – A very lucky baby girl narrowly avoided death after the car she was riding in skidded out of control on an icy Russian highway and slammed into an oncoming truck.

The 1-year-old girl, who was not strapped into a carseat, was ejected from the car and landed face down on the pavement. A passing truck was able to slow down to avoid running over her. The entire ordeal was captured on the dashboard camera of a vehicle driving right behind the crash.

According to Russian news reports the 53-year-old driver lost control of his Mitsubishi SUV when trying to overtake another car. Police faulted him for placing the baby “like a doll” on the shelf under the back windshield and not in a carseat.

Moments after the crash, the driver scooped up the girl and rushed to put her back in the car. Russian news reports say she suffered injuries to her head and face.

Source & Video Here:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/video-baby-flung-from-car-crash-almost-run-over/

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I can't bring myself to watch the video. How awful.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

This was here in the US

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-05-14/news/fl-child-over-wall-20100514_1_pompano-crash-mangled-car-child

Toddler survives being thrown from car, flies over 18-foot wall in Pompano crash

It was 'nothing short of a miracle,' official says

May 14, 2010|By Alexia Campbell, Erika Pesantes and Sofia Santana, Sun Sentinel

POMPANO BEACH — Bob Blount was playing cards with his wife Friday morning when they heard a crash and saw a toddler fly over the 18-foot sound wall near their backyard.

The tiny body landed in the grass hard, bouncing twice.

"I really thought that when I went outside, I would find a dead child," said Blount, 75.

Instead, he found something one official called "nothing short of a miracle."

The child, a 1 1/2-year-old boy, propelled out of a car that rolled over along Interstate 95, was practically uninjured.

"I think he was a little bit stunned," Blount said of the child, who was crying.

Blount's wife, Janice, meanwhile, dialed 911.

Blount said the boy tried to get up, but he had him lie down and stay covered with a towel until Pompano Beach Fire Rescue paramedics could reach the backyard in the 2600 block of Northwest Fourth Avenue.

"It's really nothing short of a miracle," said Sheriff's Office spokesman Mike Jachles.

The boy, Jacob Mentor, was in stable condition at Broward General Medical Center on Friday evening, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The child's mother, Roseline Jean-Baptiste, 28, of North Miami Beach, and 3-year-old sister were taken to North Broward Medical Center for treatment but did not appear to have any life-threatening injuries from the 11:30 a.m. crash, officials said.

In the North Broward emergency room Friday evening, Jean-Baptiste said she was convinced she and her children were dead when the car stopped rolling.

She then saw her daughter, Shaniece, was still in the mangled car with her, but it took about 10 minutes for her to realize what had happened to Jacob.

"I swore I was thinking in my head, 'I've got to bury my little boy.' I just want to thank God for everything because Jacob, he's my world, he's my everything," said an emotional Jean-Baptiste from her hospital bed. "That's my baby."

Jean-Baptiste said she and the children were heading home from Broward, but she got lost and ended up going north on I-95.

By Friday evening, she hadn't yet been able to speak to her son, whom she calls "Pookie," but said his father was at his hospital bedside.

"Everything is stable. No broken bones, no scratches. They just want to observe him," she said. "He's really strong, that baby. … His character. He learned from me."

But Jacob is a small child, she said, "He's skinny, he's so little. I can't believe he made it."

Shaniece stood in her mother's hospital room in a frilly white skirt and untied sneakers, under the watchful eye of her aunt.

Jean-Baptiste suffered a gash on her right leg and may need surgery for an internal injury to her bladder, she said. She was supposed to graduate Friday night from Nursing Unlimited in Miami Gardens as a phlebotomist. She plans to continue school there to work as a patient care technician.

Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Gene Hingson said it appeared that Jean-Baptiste and the children were wearing seat belts when the crash happened, but the children were not in proper child car seats, he said.

Another issue in the crash is Jean-Baptiste's lack of a driver's license. State records show she was cited in Miami-Dade County last March for driving without a valid Florida driver's license and that, as of Friday, she still has not obtained one.

Troopers had not determined Friday evening whether Jean-Baptiste would be cited in the crash.

She was driving northbound on I-95 in a red Chevrolet Cobalt when she saw debris on the highway just north of the Copans Road exit and swerved to avoid it.

She ended up steering onto the grassy shoulder off the highway, and the car rolled several times before stopping at the 18-foot concrete sound barrier along the interstate, Hingson said.

At some point during the rollover, Jacob was ejected from the car and thrown over the wall, landing near the Blounts' backyard in the Leisureville development.

The child was extremely fortunate not just in having cleared the wall, but also in where he landed.

The Blounts, it turns out, have training for dealing with emergencies.

They are volunteers with the sheriff's Citizens Observer Patrol.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

ditto

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I can't bring myself to watch the video either.  How horrific.  It's amazing that she actually survived.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Very quick thinking papa-

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Car seatbelts are not designed to secure toddlers.  I hope this mother is charged for her recklessness.  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Wow....

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It was a guy, and this is Russia. I'm assuming they...I don't know where I was going with this. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Car seatbelts are not designed to secure toddlers.  I hope this mother is charged for her recklessness.  

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
The video isn't graphic... Just scary. But that little girl was very lucky!

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
The backend is ripped off but no one is hurt in the video

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

I can't bring myself to watch the video either.  How horrific.  It's amazing that she actually survived.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)