Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guerilla horror film shot at Disney takes Sundance by storm...Should they sue?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 33 Replies

Why Disney might want to 'Escape From Tomorrow'

By Matthew Carey, CNN
updated 11:43 AM EST, Thu January 24, 2013
"Escape from Tomorrow" director Randall Moore, from left, producer Soojin Chung, cinematographer Lucas Lee Graham, and actors Elena Schuber and Roy Abramsohn pose at the Sundance Film Festival this week.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • "Escape From Tomorrow" is the most buzzed-about movie out of Sundance
  • The filmmaker shot for 10 days at the Disney parks in Orlando and two weeks in Disneyland
  • The theme parks were unaware that filming was occurring

(CNN) -- Princesses transformed into ghouls. Psychedelic teacup rides. Simulated suicide. The world's most famous theme park turned into a vomitorium.

And you thought this was the happiest place on earth.

In "Escape From Tomorrow," the most buzzed-about movie out of this year's Sundance Film Festival, director Randall Moore presents Disney World as a dystopian hellscape and uses it as the backdrop for a descent into madness. Jim White (Roy Abramsohn) is on holiday with his wife and two children when he learns he's been fired from his job. As he reels from that news, his mental state progressively worsens as he and his family navigate the park.

Shot in black and white, Disney's "attractions" become nightmarish specters as perceived by White's unstable mind.

Now The Walt Disney Co. is weighing whether to quash the film or to let it slide -- not so much because of the disturbing imagery, but rather the way Moore made his movie. In an audacious act of filmmaking, he shot it almost entirely at Disney World and Disneyland -- all without Disney's knowledge or permission.

After a screening of the film at Sundance, Moore answered questions from an enthusiastic audience, hinting at how he pulled off his cinematic subterfuge.

Avoiding detection by Disney security took "a lot of planning," he said. "We were careful and cautious and tried not to draw too much attention to ourselves. But planning was the main thing."

Abramsohn said shooting in such a stealthy fashion "was scary. ... It was exciting and fun."

In a "director's statement" included in press materials for the film, Moore describes the origins of his film:

"Heavily influenced by various strange outings I endured as a boy with my father -- who at the time lived in Orlando, Florida -- 'Escape From Tomorrow' is my personal attempt to make sense of what felt like a very artificial childhood, brought on by our cultural obsession with these fake, manufactured worlds of so-called fantasy."

He adds, "I think the film is really about defining the word 'escape' and how so many American households seek it out in a yearly pilgrimage to a materialistic Mecca."

It's a small, small dysfunctional world after all, in Moore's depiction.

The director said he succeeded in making his film without tipping off Disney largely because of advances in camera technology. It's now possible to shoot high-quality video with what looks like, to the uncritical eye, a digital SLR camera.

"(Digital) SLR's had just hit the market at that point," Moore said. "So we had the Canon 5D Mark II we could bring into the park and look like a tourist."

Moore shot for 10 days at the Disney parks in Orlando, and for two weeks at Disneyland in Anaheim, California. (He filmed additional scenes off Disney property on a soundstage in Los Angeles and at a hotel in the LA area.)

His crew and actors went unnoticed by Disney, until near the end of filming.

"We almost got caught once. ... We were shooting in the entrance of the park and we had to do a few takes and basically they thought our team was just paparazzi and we were shooting a famous family (entering the park)."

Moore said Disney security pulled his actors aside and demanded to know why they had entered and then re-entered the park within a seven-minute period.

He said his crew took advantage of a passing parade to scatter while Abramsohn and his co-star, Elena Schuber, struggled to explain themselves.

Abramsohn said he felt like he was "acting for his life." He said he told Disney security he and his "family" entered and then quickly left the park because they needed to reapply sunscreen.

While his interrogator was temporarily distracted, he hid his microphone and mini tape-recorder -- used to record dialogue -- in his sock. If that had been discovered, the game would have been up.

"It was very scary that day," Abramsohn admitted.

Although Moore and company escaped Disney's notice then, the company now knows about them all too well.

At the Sundance Q&A, an audience member claimed, "Disney is furious and they are going to sue."

That may or may not be true. Disney told CNN "(We) are aware of the film" but "are not commenting at this time."

Moore seems resigned to a possible lawsuit from Disney that might keep the film from ever being seen by the wider public, but he described "Escape From Tomorrow" as a passion project that he could not step away from, despite the legal risks.

"It started off really small and it just kind of snowballed," he said. "I became obsessed. And at one point there was no turning back."

North West Passage

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM

So he doesn't like fantasy? Why the hell not? What's wrong with it?

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh snap. You don't mess with the image of Disney and their lawyers, these people are toast. I love me some Disney, but they are absolutely ruthless when it comes to both their image and collecting their money when mentioned.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I don't get that from the article. He basically shot a horror film about a guy having a mental breakdown during a visit to Disney with his family. I can totally see the creepiness in theme parks...They have traditionally been settings for horror films: Zombieland anyone?

Quoting furbabymum:

So he doesn't like fantasy? Why the hell not? What's wrong with it?

North West Passage

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I remember them trying to sue anyone who produced a Cinderella story even though that is based on an old European fairy tale.

Yes, Disney is known for being sue happy.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Oh snap. You don't mess with the image of Disney and their lawyers, these people are toast. I love me some Disney, but they are absolutely ruthless when it comes to both their image and collecting their money when mentioned.

North West Passage

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Disney wont let that go. They are very strict about how they are perceived.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I am surprised they did not bring down the hammer immediately and and try to stop the film from being screened at Sundance. It surprises me that they are sitting on their hands, weighing it out.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

North West Passage

Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

They see $$$$$$$$

Quoting NWP:

I am surprised they did not bring down the hammer immediately and and try to stop the film from being screened at Sundance. It surprises me that they are sitting on their hands, weighing it out.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

With light and love

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Disney has a reputation to uphold.  This man's film does not depict the 'Happiest Place on Earth' in a good way.

Meh.

I'd love to see this film.  I have to give him kudos for following through with this, regardless of the possible legal consequences.

If Disney was smart, and some times they are not, they would let it go.  Well, perhaps.  Letting it go could, and probably would, open the door for others to do as this man did but instead of a horror film, of sorts, goodness knows what some one will come up with next.

Guess I am sort of on the fence about how Disney should proceed, actually.

But overall, I can't see this film hurting their reputation.  They can manage that all on their own.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM

That is what I am wondering...Legally snag it, distribute it themselves?

Quoting Lunarprancer:

They see $$$$$$$$

Quoting NWP:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

North West Passage

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I agree with what you said.

I am wondering if they are not exploring ways to legally take over the profits from the film if they let it go to release.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Disney has a reputation to uphold.  This man's film does not depict the 'Happiest Place on Earth' in a good way.

Meh.

I'd love to see this film.  I have to give him kudos for following through with this, regardless of the possible legal consequences.

If Disney was smart, and some times they are not, they would let it go.  Well, perhaps.  Letting it go could, and probably would, open the door for others to do as this man did but instead of a horror film, of sorts, goodness knows what some one will come up with next.

Guess I am sort of on the fence about how Disney should proceed, actually.

But overall, I can't see this film hurting their reputation.  They can manage that all on their own.

North West Passage

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured