Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kinda feel alittle guity & a non-responsible citizen. What would you do?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 103 Replies

My husband & I found a new place to walk our dogs yesterday.  It was along the aquaduct nearby where we live.  It was a really nice area to walk.  The trial went on quite a ways.  In between the bodies of water, there were these tunnel of concrete.  (why I have no idea).  We were walking just above the aquaduct.  We saw these 2 girls walking across into the tunnel.  You can clearly see them though.  They were writing inside the tunnel.  (graffiti).  I'm surprised they would do it right out in the open like that.  We just walked on by.  I discussed it with my husband, and stopped.  Asking should we confront the girls. 

My husband has been working a lot, therefore very tired.  We just walked on by.  I feel guilty about that.  The girls did leave though, because they saw us.  But, I still feel I (we) should of said something.  The girls were far enough away, we would of had to pretty much raise our voices across to where they were.  Anyway, I feel bad for not saying anything. 

There was another woman & she was walking right past the girls.  She just ignored it too.  I just wonder, what has the World come to, when a lot of us now just ignore this?  Aparently, my husband & I as well.  I told myself, the next time I see this, I won't just ignore it.  What would you of done?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I know, the right thing as you said would be to say something. I totally get it though, you are sort of "regrouping" getting your quiet time wiht your husband, etc. Sometimes I say something, sometimes I don't. I guess it depends on my mood.

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I probably would have ignored it too, especially if I was close to the girls.  People can be crazy.  Now, if they were writing something profane, I am have said something.   I dunno.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't know about where you live but some places have designated "graffiti walls" where it's legal to tag...

I honestly don't see graffiti as a big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I know, that's why I stopped.  But, in the end I didn't do anything about it.  That's not like my husband & I, we are always getting involved.  But, I did stop.  Then, I saw both the girls walking away.  I think they saw us staring at them, so they left.  But, still....the fact is we didn't do/say anything.  My husband & I are the type, that it usually is US that speak up.  We carry around a little notebook/pen, so we can write down the license number, if we see something suspicious.  Drunk driver, someone dumping etc.  

I guess I was just thinking about how it seems a lot of people are just giving up.  Not bothering or afraid.   

Quoting Ziva65:

I know, the right thing as you said would be to say something. I totally get it though, you are sort of "regrouping" getting your quiet time wiht your husband, etc. Sometimes I say something, sometimes I don't. I guess it depends on my mood.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM

What!?  Are you kidding me?  There are places where one can do graffiti?  I've never heard of them.  Maybe, in L.A. where it's more 'art', not writing everywhere their gang writings!!  Writing on businesses, trains, & aquaduct tunnels & side walls are ok with you?  WOW!!  I have NEVER heard ANYONE say that before!  Graffiti in the entrance to track homes & the expensive walls they put up around the tracks?  All of it is ok with you?  WOW! 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I don't know about where you live but some places have designated "graffiti walls" where it's legal to tag...

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this

With such a passionate response to another person about a question you asked, I have to say you were definitely in the wrong to not say something. In fact, I'd venture to say you and your husband have to take partial responsibility for the graffiti that is now there.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

What!?  Are you kidding me?  There are places where one can do graffiti?  I've never heard of them.  Maybe, in L.A. where it's more 'art', not writing everywhere their gang writings!!  Writing on businesses, trains, & aquaduct tunnels & side walls are ok with you?  WOW!!  I have NEVER heard ANYONE say that before!  Graffiti in the entrance to track homes & the expensive walls they put up around the tracks?  All of it is ok with you?  WOW! 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes larger cities have designated areas where graffiti is legal. It gives them a place to express their artwork without being punished for it. There are these areas in foreign countries also. :-)

As for my personal opinion, gang signs aren't okay with me but actual graffiti art is. Much of it is beautiful to me. That's my opinion.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I may not have confronted them. I probably would have contacted the police.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

A designated area is a great idea.

Did you have a cell phone? If I saw someone actually defacing property I would call the police (non emergency line) and report. I would not confront- too many wackos with weapons out there to be approaching and confronting unknown people.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Yes larger cities have designated areas where graffiti is legal. It gives them a place to express their artwork without being punished for it. There are these areas in foreign countries also. :-)

As for my personal opinion, gang signs aren't okay with me but actual graffiti art is. Much of it is beautiful to me. That's my opinion.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Yep

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I may not have confronted them. I probably would have contacted the police.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN