Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Still think violent movies and video games have nothing to do with killings?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM
  • 22 Replies

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/25/16692073-teens-confession-horror-film-inspired-murder-of-mom-sister?lite

A 17-year-old wrote in a confession released Thursday that the horror movie remake of "Halloween" gave him the idea to kill his mother and sister.

Jake Evans is on trial for the Oct. 3 slayings of his 15-year-old sister, Mallory, and mother Jami in their upscale Aledo home. The confession was introduced as evidence.

In a four-page written confession to police hours after his arrest, Evans said he had watched the remake of "Halloween" three times earlier that week.

The 2007 Rob Zombie film is about a 10-year-old boy who murders several people and kills a number of others 15 years later.

While watching it, I was amazed at how at ease the boy was during the murders and how little remorse he had," Evans wrote. "Afterward, I was thinking to myself it would be the same for me when I kill someone."

Later, as his mother and sister watched the presidential debate that night, he said he "just sat in the living room thinking about how I was going to kill my family."

He wrote that he got a knife.

"I went back upstairs and kept pacing back and forth imagining killing Mallory," he said. "Thoughts of causing her pain kept entering my mind and were really bothering me. But then I'd think about the times she hurt my feelings."

He later knocked on her bedroom door and asked her to watch the comedy movie "Water Boy."

Then he changed his plans.

"After a while, I thought to myself that if I were to kill my mom and Mallory, I wouldn't want them to feel anything, so I decided to kill them both with the .22 revolver I stole from my Grandpa," he wrote.

He said he thought about it some more.

"I then spent probably over an hour walking nervously around the house thinking how life will never be the same and how I would never see them again," he wrote.

He said he knocked on sister's door again and told her their mother needed her.

"She came out and out of the corner of her eye she saw me pointing the gun at her," he said. "She thought I was joking and told me that I was freaking her out. I shot her in the back and then the head."

'Dreadful and terrifying'
He then went to the study and shot his mother three times.

"In shock, I ran to my room and was screaming at the top of my lungs that I am really messed up and that I killed my mom and sister," he wrote.

"As I emptied the shells on my bed, I heard noizes (sic) and realized that Mallory was still alive," he said. "While I loaded the gun back up, I was shouting that I was sorry and then ran as fast as I could to kill her. I made sure my mom was dead and shot her again in the head."

He said he placed the gun on the counter and called 911.

Sheriff's deputies found the bodies of his mother and sister and arrested him.

In the last lines of his confession, he wrote: "I know now though that I'm done with killing. It's the most dreadful and terrifying thing I will ever experience. And what happened last night will haunt me forever."

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM
3 moms liked this
So a deranged boy watched a scary movie and killed his family? Okay.

Psycho came out in 1960... Motel owners didnt start using their properties to murder people.

I don't think there is a connection. I think there are crazy people in the world.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Quote:

"I went back upstairs and kept pacing back and forth imagining killing Mallory," he said. "Thoughts of causing her pain kept entering my mind and were really bothering me. But then I'd think about the times she hurt my feelings."

Doesn't sound like movies or video games had anything to do with what he did. He wanted to kill them. Thought about it. Planned it. Multiple times.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

So the film and gaming industry gave him the idea and the NRA/gun industry gave him the weapon...got it. How about this young man is just a tad bit batshit crazy?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

There are those, whose mental state, such as it is, can and is influenced by the likes of violent movies, video games, songs, and many other stimuli.  This just seems like common sense.

How 'common' it truly is, however, is another question.

We are all influenced by what we see, hear, smell, read about, watch, listen to and do.  The degree varies and of course, our mental stability is impacted, either in a positive or a negative.

ReadWriteLuv
Allright 2015, you heinous bitch. Bring it on!
Yesterday at 5:22 PM
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Yes, I still think that violent video games and movies have nothing directly to do with killings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM

This is my view, as well.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

There are those, whose mental state, such as it is, can and is influenced by the likes of violent movies, video games, songs, and many other stimuli.  This just seems like common sense.

We are all influenced by what we see, hear, smell, read about, watch, listen to and do.  The degree varies and of course, our mental stability is impacted, either in a positive or a negative.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I would agree up till the point people use titles like, "Still think violent movies and video games have nothing to do with killings?"

Anything could have triggered this kids killing spree. He could have killed a bug and thought, "That was easy. Maybe I can kill a human just as easily".  He could have been reading the bible and thought, "God killed bad people. Maybe I can kill bad people".

So it is true that any of these things can inspire a deranged person to kill. But it doesn't give credence to the claim that they have something to do with killings. That's all on the killer.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

While I do believe people can be influenced by what they watch, play, etc. IMO this kid Is just nuts, there is no excuse for this, he planned, thought about, and acted upon his emotions, this is an example of a very evil person

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Quoting Jack_Squat:

This is my view, as well.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I certainly cannot determine, one way or another, how much impact, if any at all, any thing has on an individual.  

Some are 'inspired' by movies, by a song, a game.....what ever.....to do something special, something they have never done before, take a risk, take a trip, an adventure, start a new chapter in their lives.

The same has to be true for the opposite of the positive influence.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

the kid had issues before he watched the movie.  It's silly to assume that his reaction to the movie was even remotely the norm.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN