Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do You Think A Victim's Family Has a Right To Know What is Going on in Their Loved Ones Case?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 11 Replies

Shocking Twist in Chandra Levy Case Could Let Killer Go Free

Posted by Jeanne Sager

Chandry LevyHere's a blast from the past. Remember Chandra Levy? The Capitol Hill intern whose disappearance in the spring of 2001 rocked the Beltway and even temporarily ensnared a Congressman? Ingmar Guandique, a man whose name isn't exactly as well known, was eventually convicted of murdering the attractive young intern. But now both of their names are back in the headlines, and it's the worst possible news for Chandra's long-suffering parents.

Guandique is supposed to be serving a 60-year prison sentence for first degree murder handed down in 2011. But the illegal alien with a rape conviction on his rap sheet could see the sentence vacated, and he could be walking free.

Almost as outrageous? The judge in the Levy case has locked down everything about this case, and I do mean everything.

Susan and Robert Levy, the victim's parents, can't even find out what the heck is happening. It may be typical of some court proceedings and absolutely legal, but it's far from fair. 

It's as if the Levys have been torpedoed back more than a decade, to a time when they were desperately asking one question and getting no answers: what happened to our daughter?

All the media -- and the Levy family -- is being told is that a witness who helped convict Guandique of Levy's murder is no longer considered credible. Because there was no physical evidence linking the illegal immigrant to the crime scene (remember, it was a year before Chandra's body was found), that's pretty big.

At the very least, the Levys could be looking at the pain of going through a trial again, having to wonder whether a second jury will convict Guandique of the unspeakable act of killing their daughter. I've known people who've gone through similar situations, and it's not pretty. The bandage they'd begun to build after the trial was ripped off, and they had to start all over again.

That's what Chandra Levy's family is facing now. The Levys don't know if there's a new suspect. They don't know if their daughter's murderer is walking free. They don't know if they'll ever get justice for their child.

And all because of one shaky witness ...

Do you think the Levys should be allowed in on what's going on in their daughter's case?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
edieda
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I most definitely think the Levy's have a  right to know what is going on in their daughter's case. After all just the  fact that the story may get coverage in the National news and they get no notification from law enforcement or any other sources, that are working on the case, this could be very shocking to get up and see it getting coverage in national news stations or even local news.   I do feel that they need to know   how could you hide this from them ? It's going to open up a lot of questions and wounds that may have been buried and are now being reopened as  stated in the article , This is their daughter they need to know. I just hope that they have some support from good family members and friends, because it will be needed.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM

What if he IS innocent?

jllcali
by Jane on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
That would really suck for the parents.

Quoting turtle68:

What if he IS innocent?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Depends on whether or not it will impact the prosecution of the case.

Just because the police were convinced the guy they had was the killer doesn't mean he was. It may never have been, and that means an innocent person is walking free, and they have an investigation to complete.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I'm confused.

Are you suggesting it would be better for the parents for an innocent person to be incarcerated rather than freed so investigators could spend time finding out who really did it?

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting turtle68:

What if he IS innocent?

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Yes, they have a right to know. I think it is wrong to keep it from them and it slaps justice in the face. Even if he is innocent and wrongly convicted, they have a right to know what is happening in the case. If he is innocent they have a righ to know and follow the case until the true guilty party is charged, tried and convicted. 

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Yes, I do.

jllcali
by Jane on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM
No, I'm not saying that. I meant that thinking that some justice was served, then being told that is maybe not have been would be hell on throw parents. I'm sure her parents would rather throw true killer be found than have and innocent man sit in jail so they could say they had justice.

Quoting LindaClement:

I'm confused.

Are you suggesting it would be better for the parents for an innocent person to be incarcerated rather than freed so investigators could spend time finding out who really did it?

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting turtle68:

What if he IS innocent?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Oh, I see. That makes more sense, then.

Quoting jllcali:

No, I'm not saying that. I meant that thinking that some justice was served, then being told that is maybe not have been would be hell on throw parents. I'm sure her parents would rather throw true killer be found than have and innocent man sit in jail so they could say they had justice.

Quoting LindaClement:

I'm confused.

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting turtle68:

What if he IS innocent?

jllcali
by Jane on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Sorry it was ambiguous. I'm almost always mobile and I get lazy sometimes.

Quoting LindaClement:

Oh, I see. That makes more sense, then.

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting LindaClement:

I'm confused.

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting turtle68:

What if he IS innocent?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN