Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Charging a mom (or dad) when a co-sleeping death occurs

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM
  • 140 Replies

I'm in WI.  Milwaukee has about 10 baby deaths EVERY YEAR  due to co-sleeping. 10 deaths in one city in one year!  Really it's due to drunken or drugged co-sleeping, not co-sleeping.

The DA has yet to charge any of these moms or care-givers.  They've said that co-sleeping is part of the black culture so it'd be wrong to charge them. 

The last one the "mom" had been drinking since noon, mixed with pain-killers.  The dad woke up with baby at 2am, handed baby to drunk/drugged mom who fell asleep on the couch with the baby.  She then killed the child by smothering the baby and had no knowledge b/c she was asleep/drunk and drugged.  She has no memory of the dad handing her the baby in the middle of the night.

To me if drugs and alcohol are involved they should be charged and convicted of the death and neglect.  If the parent was sober then charge them and investigate even if the charges would be droppped.

EDITED:  If sober parent then investigate, and maybe press charges.  It should for sure be documented - in case it happens again, the police would know it wasn't the first time.  (One of the MIlwaukee cases a few years ago was a drunk mom co-sleeping, killed her baby - and she had done the same thing a few years before.  She killed 2 kids by drunk co-sleeping - Unbelievable!)

Your thoughts?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM
5 moms liked this

So my husband should be charged for our daughter's death, despite the fact that he neither drank nor used drugs?

Yeah, fuck you.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Liz132
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM
22 moms liked this

If someone is doing drugs or drinking while they were caring for their child and the child dies because of their impairment they need to be charged. This isn't a co-sleeping issue.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM
3 moms liked this

I think if a child dies, there should be an investigation.  At that point they can determine if it was an accident, or neglect of some sort.  But I wouldn't just say "A child dies, charge a parent".  There needs to be some investigation first.

KTU
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM
7 moms liked this

I think when drugs or alcohol are involved, then yes charges should follow. That is negligence.

And I have never heard of co-sleeping being a "part of the black culture." I know parents from all cultures that co-sleep.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

these are not cases of just co-sleeping.. these are cases when the person was impaired, no different than putting your child in  car after drinking and drugging. So in the cases you mentioned about yes they should be charges.. but when it is accidental that was would be horrible to even think charges should be brought

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I am so sorry for your loss

Quoting radioheid:

So my husband should be charged for our daughter's death, despite the fact that he neither drank nor used drugs?

Yeah, fuck you.

Kitschy
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I agree if there is negligence found, then at least a child endangerment count should be filed.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Quoting radioheid:

Yeah, fuck you.

(((HUGS)))

My son died of SIDS the morning after we coslept as I was readying myself for an early morning funeral.  Arresting me would not have helped anyone especially since my ex chose to have a psychotic break the next day and get arrested himself.

I struggled with grief and guilt for years and still do from time to time.  The worst was a memory of red all over the babies face .  It took yrs to realize it was lipstick, I had just put it on prior to finding him and administering mouth to mouth.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

mandaday
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this
There is a big difference between responsible co-sleeping and the situation described. Co- sleeping is not a crime.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RunningMommaof2
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM
3 moms liked this
If they can prove that the parent was on something then, yes. Absolutely because that's child endangerment. I personally have never heard of a co-sleeping death that did not involve the parent being on some type of substance. I'm pro co-sleeping, but some people are just too stupid to handle it. Poor babies :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured