Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wefare payments...are they fair and do they differ in the USA??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

Well Im living in Ireland and and just wanna get peoples ideas about welfare payments. Do you think they are fair, are they available for too long a time and does been available for a long time do more harm than good?

Im on one parent family allowence the last 5 years which is a rate of 337euro per week including rent supplement (dunno what that is in convertion to dollers but it would roughly be the same I think). I get free medical but so does everyone who earns under a certain amount/

Im on one parent family allowence since Im in college getting my degree and hopfully will be off it next year when I get a full time career!!

Here welfare payments are payed out to everyone who applys and the time limit is endless...basiclly you could be on it for life...I dunno if I really agree with someone been on welfare for life but here you can.

What are your opinons on this and is the system simular in America?? If not then what is the welfare system like over there and what kind of payments are available?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM
5 moms liked this

Oh boy, hold on to your seat with this one.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I'm not really familiar with how the payments work here in the US, but I'm sure others can fill you in.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Oh, but I can say I do NOT think you should be able to get welfare indefinitely unless you are disabled.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Well hell, if I can move to Dublin and get paid to be a SAHM with no time limit on welfare payments, sign me up! One stipend alone of 337 Euros is like $600 a week, plus you get a rent allowance?

I'm going about this all the wrong way!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

So the government of Ireland is making an investment in you. Hopefully when you are done with school you'll get a great job and pay it all back through taxes. 

I like that system. I wish it worked like that here, but it doesn't. 

xxbabigurlxx
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Ya in a way I get rent allowence but it works so I pay 46euro from the 337euro and the council pays the rest.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Well hell, if I can move to Dublin and get paid to be a SAHM with no time limit on welfare payments, sign me up! One stipend alone of 337 Euros is like $600 a week, plus you get a rent allowance?

I'm going about this all the wrong way!

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

bumpsies

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM

In the US it varies from county in each state.

People can be on it for life, if they make under a certain amount a month. 

How each county calculates everything is different. In Florida, one county takes in ALL bills (even things like cable, and internet which you do not need), but counties in NC only take in Power, Water and Rent. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM

In America the TANIF program is welfare to work program. Different states may vary in their rules but in my state if you don't have an infant under a year old you will be put to work doing something getting under paid like crazy until you get a job. I think the program is 3 years for life and after the first time you apply you can not get it for add. children if you have more. The amt varies depending on number of children. I know 3 children is $330 a month. If you own a car they will give you gas money if you don't they will pick you up. They also pay your daycare. Originally you could attend school but they changed it. Now your required to work. You and your children will get medicaid for health insurance and food stamps. 

We do have housing authorities and section 8 for low income families but it is not apart of the TANIF program. You can live in those houses while getting TANIF and your rent is based on your income. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM

No State will allow anyone to be on it for life. It's a fed. program that states/cites control the inter workings. But the fed rules like the time limits don't change in any state. 

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

In the US it varies from county in each state.

People can be on it for life, if they make under a certain amount a month. 

How each county calculates everything is different. In Florida, one county takes in ALL bills (even things like cable, and internet which you do not need), but counties in NC only take in Power, Water and Rent. 

Jaliyah  My video here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured