Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Again with punishing the victims.. (-_-) Awesome job

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 22 Replies

A Republican lawmaker in New Mexico introduced a bill on Wednesday that would legally require victims of rape to carry their pregnancies to term in order to use the fetus as evidence for a sexual assault trial.

House Bill 206, introduced by state Rep. Cathrynn Brown (R), would charge a rape victim who ended her pregnancy with a third-degree felony for "tampering with evidence."

“Tampering with evidence shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion, of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime," the bill says.

Third-degree felonies in New Mexico carry a sentence of up to three years in prison.

Pat Davis of ProgressNow New Mexico, a progressive nonprofit opposing the bill, called it "blatantly unconstitutional" on Thursday.

“The bill turns victims of rape and incest into felons and forces them to become incubators of evidence for the state,” he said. “According to Republican philosophy, victims who are ‘legitimately raped’ will now have to carry the fetus to term in order to prove their case.“

The bill is unlikely to pass, as Democrats have a majority in both chambers of New Mexico's state legislature.

UPDATE: 12:25 p.m. -- Brown said in a statement Thursday that she introduced the bill with the goal of punishing the person who commits incest or rape and then procures or facilitates an abortion to destroy the evidence of the crime.

“New Mexico needs to strengthen its laws to deter sex offenders,” said Brown. “By adding this law in New Mexico, we can help to protect women across our state.”

SOURCE

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Just awful.  People need to stop this crap.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I am continually sickened by these asshats and the people that support them.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Sounds like a genius idea.. It's no different than our screwed up court systems with their out of touch and archaic mandates.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

They can perform a DNA test on the aborted fetus...just saying.

I know from experience.  I lost my baby in week 20, and they were able to use his tissues to prove the DNA connection.  The doctors even told me they could do it earlier than that, as soon as there was enough tissues to test with.

I know it's gruesome and morbid.  I wrestled with the decision NOT to abort my baby.  I chose adoption instead.  But when he died anyways...I don't know.  Some nights I'd put my hand on my belly and love him, wish him the best.  Other nights I'd claw at my belly, feeling like my life was being robbed, feeling dirty and awful for growing him inside me.  I could never judge a woman who made another decision.  I was all over the board with mine, and I still lost him.  In the end, it all felt like a painful waste.  Some days, I think I would have preferred the abortion.  Other days, I hope he at least felt some love during his brief existance.  I really tried.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I know from experience.  I lost my baby in week 20, and they were able to use his tissues to prove the DNA connection.  The doctors even told me they could do it earlier than that, as soon as there was enough tissues to test with.

I know it's gruesome and morbid.  I wrestled with the decision NOT to abort my baby.  I chose adoption instead.  But when he died anyways...I don't know.  Some nights I'd put my hand on my belly and love him, wish him the best.  Other nights I'd claw at my belly, feeling like my life was being robbed, feeling dirty and awful for growing him inside me.  I could never judge a woman who made another decision.  I was all over the board with mine, and I still lost him.  In the end, it all felt like a painful waste.  Some days, I think I would have preferred the abortion.  Other days, I hope he at least felt some love during his brief existance.  I really tried.

Hugs mama.. 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks.  All this political talk over it is really upsetting me.  NONE of those politicians can judge until they feel a life growing inside of them like that.  I'd bet they would all sing a different tune if they knew what women go throug.  

Some women are strong, birth and raise the baby, and manage to love them the entire way through.

Some women are strong, and know that they cannot handle growing the baby, cannot love the baby, and choose the only route that makes sense to them and abort.

Some women are strong, and know that they may never love the child, but someone will, and choose adoption.

But all rape survivors are strong.  Even if they don't freaking know it yet, and those politicians give us no credit for what we face and live with every day.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Hugs mama.. 

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh Hell NO! This will just further violate the victim! No way in HELL would I ever live in NM! This is pathetic, and I can't believe that they would even consider this!

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM

You're right. They would probably make abortions easier to obtain. 

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Thanks.  All this political talk over it is really upsetting me.  NONE of those politicians can judge until they feel a life growing inside of them like that.  I'd bet they would all sing a different tune if they knew what women go throug.  

Some women are strong, birth and raise the baby, and manage to love them the entire way through.

Some women are strong, and know that they cannot handle growing the baby, cannot love the baby, and choose the only route that makes sense to them and abort.

Some women are strong, and know that they may never love the child, but someone will, and choose adoption.

But all rape survivors are strong.  Even if they don't freaking know it yet, and those politicians give us no credit for what we face and live with every day.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Hugs mama.. 

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Who votes the idiots in that propose this crap?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM
This is wrong is the worst of ways.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN