Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mental Health/Illness National Registry

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 100 Replies

On CNN this morning the talking head asserted that Americans are far too protective of their mental health status, and that there should be a national database that can be checked when someone wishes to purchase a weapon.

Going along with this, what other uses could this database be used for 'to protect the children'?

Should teachers and anyone working with children be checked out? What about new mothers that just gave birth? Should they be checked to ensure there's nothing there that may result in child abuse, including possible removal of the newborn? Should you be able to check out the parent's before your kid's next playdate?

What would YOU want to check out...to protect the children? 

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfurlongg
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM
17 moms liked this
As someone who works in the mental health field I am vehemently against a national registry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I wouldn't want to check any of it. Seeing something in a database doesn't give you the whole story. For example - why were/are they going through a major depression? Loss of spouse, child, marriage? Do they have a family history so the psychiatrist aired on the side of caution and diagnosed as Bi-Polar II even though there's no history of the patient themselves?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
6 moms liked this

I feel like this would be a step towards locking up anyone with a mental illness. Also, just because someone has a mental illness doesn't mean they are incapable of functioning.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Why? Wouldn't it protect the rest of 'us' and keep us safer?

Quoting rfurlongg:

As someone who works in the mental health field I am vehemently against a national registry.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Would those two years when I had a toddler and preschooler at the same time...I fondly refer to those as my Prozac Years...be held against me 20 years down the road? Wondering....

Quoting punky3175:

I wouldn't want to check any of it. Seeing something in a database doesn't give you the whole story. For example - why were/are they going through a major depression? Loss of spouse, child, marriage? Do they have a family history so the psychiatrist aired on the side of caution and diagnosed as Bi-Polar II even though there's no history of the patient themselves?

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Do you think it would lead to even MORE undiagnosed mental disorders?

Quoting purpleducky:

I feel like this would be a step towards locking up anyone with a mental illness. Also, just because someone has a mental illness doesn't mean they are incapable of functioning.

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM
3 moms liked this
All that would do is keep people from getting help that need it. Like me. I'm in school to be a teacher and i Don't want my well treated and under control bipolar to effect my job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

As in people who are undiagnosed getting diagnosed or people going without a diagnosis?

I honestly think it would lead to individuals not seeking out treatment for fear of being put on a registry. This would lead to mentally unhealthy individuals trying to lead normal lives, which could end very badly.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting purpleducky:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Great way to prevent adults from seeking help for mental health... and to prevent parents from seeking help for their mentally ill children.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Quoting purpleducky:

As in people who are undiagnosed getting diagnosed or people going without a diagnosis?

I honestly think it would lead to individuals not seeking out treatment for fear of being put on a registry. This would lead to mentally unhealthy individuals trying to lead normal lives, which could end very badly.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting purpleducky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured