Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pro-Choice

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 85 Replies
1 mom liked this
If you call yourself 'pro-choice' how far does that choice extend?

Do you think a woman has a right to an abortion and birth control but condemn or judge a woman who chooses to have a child of of wedlock?

Do you think less of someone who chooses to get tattoos?

What about if they choose to be devout in their faith while you've chosen to be an atheist or a different religion?

Parenting choices - breast vs bottle; attachment vs 'traditional' (is that the right opposite?); putting kids in pageants etc?

Yes a conversation last night sparked this and made me very curious about how far 'pro-choice' extended for those who labeled themselves. Is it 'pro-choice with judgment' or 'pro-choice without'?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM
18 moms liked this

I can support the rights of a person to choose while still thinking the choice they made was less than ideal/good.   

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Pro-choice is just that... the mother's choice. 

I think a woman has the right to choose an abortion, birth control, or to be an unwed mother.  I'm not going to judge someone when I don't know what their life is like.  Not everyone is going to do what I would do in the same situation.

I do not think less of someone who chooses to get tattoos.  I don't have any myself, but many of my friends, and my husband, have several.

As for faith, as long as someone isn't trying to push it down my throat, I'm cool with whatever they believe. 

As for parenting choices, I think you do what you think is best for your child.  Each one is different.  As long as you are not trying to live your dreams through your child by pushing them into things (like pageants), I'm cool with that.  I breast fed my first two children and was really upset that I couldn't breastfeed my third.  I thought he was at a disadvantage.  I've learned I was wrong.  Even before then though, if someone chose to bottle feed, I didn't think badly of them. 

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this
I consider myself very pro-choice. There are some choices I don't agree with but I'm not going to pass judgment or support making some choice illegal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Good post. I support choice and rights, even if there's things I don't agree with.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm pro choice and support all the things you listed. I may not agree with the choice but its a free country.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I am very pro-choice..to the point that I told my daughter that once she was 18 and out of my house what she chose to do with her body wasn't any of my business.

That doesn't mean I dont' mentally judge, but I respect another person's right to make their own decisions and choices.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM
3 moms liked this
I think if it's not my body or child, it's not my business...

As long as they aren't trying to make it my business...ie, religion, etc...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting punky3175:

If you call yourself 'pro-choice' how far does that choice extend?

Do you think a woman has a right to an abortion and birth control but condemn or judge a woman who chooses to have a child of of wedlock?  I don't judge single moms. I admire them. I don't think marriage is as important as some make it out to be. I do think both parents need to be responsible for supporting and raising their children but I don't think the parents need to be married to do that.

Do you think less of someone who chooses to get tattoos?  Not at all, I do question some folks choice in tattoos, I worked with a man once who had a magic 8 ball tattood on the back of his hand, thought it was stupid and probably really hurt lol

What about if they choose to be devout in their faith while you've chosen to be an atheist or a different religion? I think everyone's path is different.  I do stand up to folks that seem to think everyone and everything in this country needs to be christian. I have no problme with folks following their own religion, but I do have a problem with them telling me I have to follow their morals

Parenting choices - breast vs bottle; attachment vs 'traditional' (is that the right opposite?); putting kids in pageants etc?  I don't judge a parent unless I think they are doing something harmful - bottle feeding vs breast is a very personal choice - not putting a hat on your infant in  Northern Virginia yesterday = bad  parenting (saw a woman at the metro with no hat or socks on her child - oMG

Yes a conversation last night sparked this and made me very curious about how far 'pro-choice' extended for those who labeled themselves. Is it 'pro-choice with judgment' or 'pro-choice without'?

jakesmom323
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM
5 moms liked this
If everyone just worried about making the "RIGHT CHOICE" for themselves, then we wouldn't have this debate.
celestegood
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't care what other people do with their lives. Unless they are breaking laws,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured