Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
If you call yourself 'pro-choice' how far does that choice extend?

Do you think a woman has a right to an abortion and birth control but condemn or judge a woman who chooses to have a child of of wedlock?

Do you think less of someone who chooses to get tattoos?

What about if they choose to be devout in their faith while you've chosen to be an atheist or a different religion?

Parenting choices - breast vs bottle; attachment vs 'traditional' (is that the right opposite?); putting kids in pageants etc?

Yes a conversation last night sparked this and made me very curious about how far 'pro-choice' extended for those who labeled themselves. Is it 'pro-choice with judgment' or 'pro-choice without'?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
That's pretty much my view.

Quoting celestegood:

I don't care what other people do with their lives. Unless they are breaking laws,
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM
6 moms liked this

I support every person's right to decided what will work best for them. That supports my right to be judgemental for whatever reason.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM

This

Quoting katy_kay08:

I can support the rights of a person to choose while still thinking the choice they made was less than ideal/good.   

North West Passage

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

This.  I may not agree with evyerone's choice but I support their right to make it unless it is abusive towards the child.  I.e. I think pageants are repulsive.  It sickens me to the core but I think it is a parent's choice.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I can support the rights of a person to choose while still thinking the choice they made was less than ideal/good.   

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I am vehemently pro-choice. That doesn'r mean I have to like or agree with said choice, and it doesn't mean I'm judging.
blues_pagan
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I support the right for anyone to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

With abortion, I believe that an elective abortion should occur before viability (between 24-27 weeks), a medical abortion can occur whenever necessary.

I don't care if a woman has children out of wedlock.

I have tattoos

I am Pagan, I don't care what religion anyone else is as long as they are not forcing their beliefs on me.

Parenting choice:  Are your kids happy, healthy and loved?  You have my vote of approval

So I guess for me being pro-choice is just that, choose whatever the hell you want.  As long as you are not hurting someone then I am fine by it.

i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I try and be pro choice with as little judgement as possible. My pro choice attitude stops at child abuse, or abuse in general obviously. I'm probably more pro choice than some out there, but if you're going to label yourself it, you better own it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm fine with all that you listed.

Pro-Choice really came from the law changes regarding women's health (not abortion). Prior to 'pro-choice', husbands chose doctors, chose care, chose everything for the wife. Pro-choice came, and now the woman is making her own health care choices....regarding everything, not just reproduction. It was the choice to keep her health care private between her and her doctor. It's her own choice to seek medical care for anything she chooses.

This is why I always say EVERYONE is pro-choice. How many men do you really know that would want to take on the wife's 'burden' of choosing her health care, choosing her birth control, etc etc.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm pro-mindyourownfreakingbusiness

I don't understand why everyone wants to get all up in everyone else's choices. On the flip side, pertaining to here on Cafemom, I don't get why everyone wants to spread their choices as gospel either.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM
3 moms liked this

I shouldn't have read that while taking a drink of coffee. That resulted in a giggle-choke. This whole quote should be taken and made into a Cafemom law.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I support every person's right to decided what will work best for them. That supports my right to be judgemental for whatever reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)