Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
If you call yourself 'pro-choice' how far does that choice extend?

Do you think a woman has a right to an abortion and birth control but condemn or judge a woman who chooses to have a child of of wedlock?

Do you think less of someone who chooses to get tattoos?

What about if they choose to be devout in their faith while you've chosen to be an atheist or a different religion?

Parenting choices - breast vs bottle; attachment vs 'traditional' (is that the right opposite?); putting kids in pageants etc?

Yes a conversation last night sparked this and made me very curious about how far 'pro-choice' extended for those who labeled themselves. Is it 'pro-choice with judgment' or 'pro-choice without'?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Your complete honesty is why I adore you. :-)

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I support every person's right to decided what will work best for them. That supports my right to be judgemental for whatever reason.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

I can support the rights of a person to choose while still thinking the choice they made was less than ideal/good.   

This. I support the choice of others so long as it does not harm another person.

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM
This exactly. I think everyone is judgmental about something. It is what you do with that judgment that is important.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I can support the rights of a person to choose while still thinking the choice they made was less than ideal/good.   

Amanda471
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Pro-choice is just that... the mother's choice. 

I think a woman has the right to choose an abortion, birth control, or to be an unwed mother.  I'm not going to judge someone when I don't know what their life is like.  Not everyone is going to do what I would do in the same situation.

I do not think less of someone who chooses to get tattoos.  I don't have any myself, but many of my friends, and my husband, have several.

As for faith, as long as someone isn't trying to push it down my throat, I'm cool with whatever they believe. 

As for parenting choices, I think you do what you think is best for your child.  Each one is different.  As long as you are not trying to live your dreams through your child by pushing them into things (like pageants), I'm cool with that.  I breast fed my first two children and was really upset that I couldn't breastfeed my third.  I thought he was at a disadvantage.  I've learned I was wrong.  Even before then though, if someone chose to bottle feed, I didn't think badly of them. 

I agree with this and I live in an area that is very pro-life.  I am pro-choice, not because I feel it's the really the right choice (I don't think i could have an abortion but I've never been in that position to have to consider it) but I cannot judge other women for what they wish to do with thier own bodies.  I notice how the pro-life people in this area turn thier noses up at adoption & fostering children.  If you want them ALL to be born you'd better be prepared to open YOUR door. 

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Pro-choice is pro abortion not relevant to any other issue.

punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I happen to disagree. Choice is about exactly that - choice in all aspects of a person's life. It's not restricted to women or reproductive rights. Hence the body of the OP.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM

You can write whatever you want, Pro-abortion people are the most anti-choice (typically) of any group there is .

Quoting punky3175:

I happen to disagree. Choice is about exactly that - choice in all aspects of a person's life. It's not restricted to women or reproductive rights. Hence the body of the OP.

Quoting Billiejeens:

punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM
This is not an abortion post so please take your attempts to make that way into a post of your own. I won't address how stupid you sound equating 'pro-choice' with 'pro-abortion.'

Quoting Billiejeens:

You can write whatever you want, Pro-abortion people are the most anti-choice (typically) of any group there is .

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Billiejeens:

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm pro-choice in all of those situations. That doesn't mean that I think everyone's choices are GOOD choices.

white_wolf454
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

i think i am pro choice because Its my body my choice and like wise with anyone its there body there choice how ever the only time i get in the way or feel any should is when some one is planning to end there life i will try and prevent and get them the help they need , and would hope the same for me if i should ever be that low in life 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)