Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you call yourself 'pro-choice' how far does that choice extend?

Do you think a woman has a right to an abortion and birth control but condemn or judge a woman who chooses to have a child of of wedlock?

Do you think less of someone who chooses to get tattoos?

What about if they choose to be devout in their faith while you've chosen to be an atheist or a different religion?

Parenting choices - breast vs bottle; attachment vs 'traditional' (is that the right opposite?); putting kids in pageants etc?

Yes a conversation last night sparked this and made me very curious about how far 'pro-choice' extended for those who labeled themselves. Is it 'pro-choice with judgment' or 'pro-choice without'?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Replies (41-50):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I am pro-whatever floats your boat. So long as your choice doesn't affect me or mine.

As an aside, that doesn't mean I don't judge you for those choices; I certainly do. It just means that I'll fight for your right to make them and keep them, regardless of whether or not I *personally* agree with them.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Say what?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Last post (it is the weekend) Pro-choice is absolutely Pro-abortion, otherwise you all wouldn't considered it a loss for the cause anytime a woman who is unsure, goes ahead and has the baby.

Simply look how hard your side fights against any information being given to a pregnant woman, here's a sonogram of what's inside you - ACK TEAR THAT UP.

Here is info on when the heart started beating - ACK LIES,  LIES!

We think you should give it a days thought. -ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Quoting punky3175:

This is not an abortion post so please take your attempts to make that way into a post of your own. I won't address how stupid you sound equating 'pro-choice' with 'pro-abortion.'

Quoting Billiejeens:

You can write whatever you want, Pro-abortion people are the most anti-choice (typically) of any group there is .

Quoting punky3175:

I happen to disagree. Choice is about exactly that - choice in all aspects of a person's life. It's not restricted to women or reproductive rights. Hence the body of the OP.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Pro-choice is pro abortion not relevant to any other issue.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

tambrathegreat
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Pro choice means just that.  If, for any reason, a woman feels she needs to secure an abortion, the service should be available to her.  I have no judgment of the woman because I am not living her life.  The same goes with body art.  Your body, your choice. 

punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM
What are you talking about?

Quoting witch_e_woman:

Dman, here we go AGAIN....

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Did you flunk history?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Last post (it is the weekend) Pro-choice is absolutely Pro-abortion, otherwise you all wouldn't considered it a loss for the cause anytime a woman who is unsure, goes ahead and has the baby.

Simply look how hard your side fights against any information being given to a pregnant woman, here's a sonogram of what's inside you - ACK TEAR THAT UP.

Here is info on when the heart started beating - ACK LIES,  LIES!

We think you should give it a days thought. -ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Quoting punky3175:

This is not an abortion post so please take your attempts to make that way into a post of your own. I won't address how stupid you sound equating 'pro-choice' with 'pro-abortion.'
Quoting Billiejeens:

You can write whatever you want, Pro-abortion people are the most anti-choice (typically) of any group there is .

Quoting punky3175:

I happen to disagree. Choice is about exactly that - choice in all aspects of a person's life. It's not restricted to women or reproductive rights. Hence the body of the OP.
Quoting Billiejeens:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM
2 moms liked this

You really need to read your history book. The Pro-choice ruling had nothing to do with abortion. I don't know how young you are, but I know my Mom and her Mom, did not enjoy the freedoms that you and I have with regards to our health care. Prior to the Pro-choice laws, the husband chose her doctor, her hospital, and any care he thought she should have. When anything was diagnosed, it was always presented to the husband with a 'what would you like us to do to your wife' comment. The wife had nothing to add to it. Once the law was passed, husbands step aside, and the woman now has the opportunity to go directly to her doctor of choice and have any medical treatment she would like on her body. AND she does not have to inform her husband, or get his permission. The doctor now is legally bound to the woman, not the man, unless the woman gives that doctor permission.

So you can see that YOU and everyone else is Pro-Choice. You do make your own choices for your medical care don't you? Who will be your doctor, etc. There is nary a man alive who is equiped or willing to go back to the day of doing all of this on behalf of his wife.

Quoting Billiejeens:

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm full of judgment, but if it doesn't harm anyone, I'll keep it to myself.

viv212
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
This. So I wouldn't care about any of the decisions in the OP.

Quoting Euphoric:

Good post. I support choice and rights, even if there's things I don't agree with.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Quoting punky3175:

If you call yourself 'pro-choice' how far does that choice extend?

Do you think a woman has a right to an abortion and birth control but condemn or judge a woman who chooses to have a child of of wedlock?

I believe women have the right to both abortion and birth control, and judge only those who have children out of wedlock they clearly cannot and do not wish to support, as well as those who have children out of wedlock while addicted to drugs or alcohol...but this extends to married women in similar circimstances as well. This feeling is not exclusive to unmarried women. In general, I do not judge women who have children out of wedlock.

Do you think less of someone who chooses to get tattoos?

Only if they are tasteless "scratcher" tattoos in a highly visible place, like the face, neck or hands. In that case, I'm apt to think you're a fucking moron.

What about if they choose to be devout in their faith while you've chosen to be an atheist or a different religion?

Don't come knocking on my door or grabbing my hands to pray in public, and its all gravy. (Both have happened.)

Parenting choices - breast vs bottle; attachment vs 'traditional' (is that the right opposite?); putting kids in pageants etc?

Again, don't get in my face with it, and I don't care. And I literally mean "in my face", as in preaching at me or about me loud enough that I can hear it.

Yes a conversation last night sparked this and made me very curious about how far 'pro-choice' extended for those who labeled themselves. Is it 'pro-choice with judgment' or 'pro-choice without'?

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I don't always agree with the woman's choice to have an abortion, but it is still her choice
I have a tattoo
I don't care what you believe in as long as you don't try to push your views on others
And as long as you aren't hurting your children, they are your children and you should do what you believe is best, hopefully that means to be a loving nurturing parent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured