Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Muslim question?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 100 Replies

My oldes its leanring about different religions in school.  They are also being asked to give their reactions to certain things.  They were talking about South Park and how someone drew a pciture of Mohammed and I guess it was a caricature.  I don't remember the whole story.  My dd is telling me she learned it is against the Muslim religion to ever show or draw a picture of Mohammed? Is that true?  She thought it was horrible the writers of South Park did this. I just never have heard of that before.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zinniadaisy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Yes, they consider that an offense - they don't draw any pictures of any of their prophets...

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/396226/Muhammad/251804/Muhammad-in-Islamic-art-and-literature

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

THanks. I never knew that.  My dd's reaction was it was awful and they should be arrested.  We had a good ebate about freedom of speech.  i love hearing how passionate young people get and wish it lasted forever. It would make this world a better place

Quoting zinniadaisy:

Yes, they consider that an offense - they don't draw any pictures of any of their prophets...

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Anything people could craft wouldn't be as good as the prophets were, so showing them in a lesser light isn't respectful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM

People shouldn't do that, but I've never understood the violent reactions. But then I don't think it's just about the depictions. Some people (not only some Muslims) will use any excuse to start a riot. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I think it is ignorant to do.  I'm glad my dd saw how wrong it was.  that's not comedy.

Quoting mehamil1:

People shouldn't do that, but I've never understood the violent reactions. But then I don't think it's just about the depictions. Some people (not only some Muslims) will use any excuse to start a riot. 

Hafsa1
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Yes, it is very offensive to draw/paint pictures of the prophets. Nobody knows what they looked liked. Even in islamic movies, they do not have anyone play the part of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM
4 moms liked this
Since when has South Park ever been accused of being respectful?

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I think it is ignorant to do.  I'm glad my dd saw how wrong it was.  that's not comedy.

Quoting mehamil1:

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I googled Muhammad once and got nuthin'

lancet98
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

South Park writers have stated over and over, it is their goal to offend EVERYONE, EVERY GROUP, EVERY THING.   And they do it week, after week, after week.   They've made extreme fun of people who are dependent on the internet for entertainment,  the Catholic church for sweeping child sexual abuse under the rug, people who adore celebrities, and the selfish celebrities themselves.   No one has been spared.   They've made fun of Sadam Hussein, Hell.   The only figure they've ever cut any slack is Jesus, who is portrayed in a comical way, but is almost always gentle and well meaning.

It's basically a style of comedy - many standup comedians have done this.  

Don Rickles was an example of this comedy style back 40 years ago - he insulted everyone, people in the audience, the president, everyone.

Yes, in Islam, it is extremely disrespectful of the religion to draw a picture of Mohammed.

Basically, because Mohammed was believed to be divine, it would be impossible to picture Mohammed fairly or accurately. 

It is basically like claiming Jesus is not divine.   Or that God is a frog or a beaver, which South Park has also done.

I've seen art that treats Islam in a respectful way, by showing some of the patterns and designs used in decorating mosques, for example, without showing specific figures like Mohammed, from the Koran.

There are similar kinds of rules in other religions - in Judaism, the name of God is usually written G-d, again, because naming God seems disrespectful and trivializing of God's nature as an all encompassing being.

I try to learn about each religion and be respectful.   I don't have to follow their beliefs simply to be respectful.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I have never watched the show.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Since when has South Park ever been accused of being respectful?

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting mehamil1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)