Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pro-life women should pray that abortion remains legal. Instead of being a hero for choosing life women will be called sluts if abortion is outlawed.

Posted by   + Show Post

Pro-life women should pray that abortion remains legal. If you have an out of wedlock birth today you are a hero for "choosing life" but if abortion is outlawed it is again the 1950s and you have turned into "a slut."

Recently there has been discussion about "the continuing rise in out-of-wedlock birth rates [being] an unintended consequence of the pro-life movement’s modest success at stigmatizing abortion."

We discussed that here in this thread:

Does Abortion Lead to More Stable Marriages? Did the Pro-Life Movement Lead to More Single Moms? A legacy conservatives have not grappled with.

What I would like to discuss now is this comment which was made in response to the following article in the New York Times:

The Bristol Palin Effect vs. The Roe Effect

Every single mother in the red states should pray that abortion remains legal. Right now, you are a hero who has "chosen life." the minute the right is able to outlaw abortion, you are back in the 1950s where I grew up and you have turned into "a slut" and that innocent baby the anti-abortion now defies becomes your "little bastard, " excluded from any decent home. No one had any problem treating an unwed mother and her child like dirt in the 1950s. This attitude will quickly return, as all the right wing comments indicate it is only shallowly submerged. As for the idea male irresponsibility is encouraged by the availability of abortion, my grandmother always warned me in the 1950s,"a boy can go home and put on a clean shirt and be welcomed into everyone's home even if they know wht he has done, but everyone will spit on you and your baby."So by all means, let's outlaw abortion and go back to the 1950s and all those wnderful two parent families and women hating attitudes. Just be prepared for your daughters to pay the price. Oh, that's right, right,"good girls" won't get pregnant before marriage. And if they do, it means they were "sluts" all along. Are you listening,all you Bristol Palins. I doubt it. When you boil it down, anti-abortionists basically are people who are afraid that somewhere in the world there is a woman who is having sex who is not being "punished" for it by becoming pregnant. What a wonderful, life affirming philosophy-- as long as you are a man, Ross.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Replies (101-110):
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM

The SCOTUS found an inherent right to privacy, not aright to choice, in the US Constitution.  If you are going to make these kinds of statements, you really should be accurate.

So keeping abortion from being illegal is basically the same thing as it being legalized IMO.  I feel that you are splitting hairs.  What is your point if not to split hairs?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Roe vs wade is what upholds a woman's right to choose and negates the government the ability to intercede in her decision. It is what keeps the government from being able to make abortion illegal. It is also what keeps men from having a say in whether or not their child will be aborted or not. It is not what legalized abortion.

Quoting Bookwormy:

When I took Constitutional Law it was considered quite relevant.  Care to educate us?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

You do know that roe vs wade is not what made abortion legal right? That in fact that has nothing to do with the legalization of abortion?

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I was messing around & being flippant.  Though I think it is ridiculous to expect that all women who are single & choose not to have an abortion should place their child for adoption.

Quoting gdiamante:

It made sense to me, although I was reading something between the lines, defining suitability to mean having the means and support system to raise a child on your own.

Of course, there are also plenty of married couples who don't meet that definition of "suitability" either.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I can only agree with this if they are placing the child with a gay or lesbian couple.  Otherwise, this statement really makes no sense at all!

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

I'd also like to point out single women are only heroes if they choose life and then understand that they aren't suitable to parent a child because they didn't have it within wedlock and put the kid up for adoption. 

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

Jcothrine
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

i have two friends who have had abortions and both of them have had at least moments of regret and depression and doubts over their decision....

i would not be surprised if the stigma against abortion is part of the reason they feel that way.....

and i am afraid that i used to be adamently prolife..and use to judge those who got abortions when it is not my place to judge.....

i used to vote along party lines and chose those who were against abortion..... now i would not do that....

i think going back to abortion being illegal would be a disaster...and i think that because of many reasons..not the least of which is the fact that this study points out about women and their "bastard" babies being discriminated against......

i can't write tonight.. sorry..my writing is all scrambled up..must be time for bed....

JC

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Funny title. There will always be women referred to as sluts, whether or not they have an abortion, or simply sleep around.

"When you boil it down, anti-abortionists basically are people who are afraid that somewhere in the world there is a woman who is having sex who is not being "punished" for it by becoming pregnant." I find that funny too... I'm totally pro-life, don't speak much here because of the rude responses and assumptions. Really just like this statement. Interesting assumption- really not even worth the time for a reasonable and rational discussion :)

lucky2785
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this
This is absolutely the stupidest thing I've ever read. Abortion has nothing to do with what anyone thinks of a single mother.....i don't find out someone is a single mother and think "oh good thing she didn't have an abortion." Wtf....ridiculous!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:11 AM

this is an excellent article

emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:12 AM

you missed the point. back in the 50s a teen or unwed mom was sent AWAY to another relative because they were shameful, and needed to be hidden. if abortion was illegal now, that attitude would come back in full force

Quoting lucky2785:

This is absolutely the stupidest thing I've ever read. Abortion has nothing to do with what anyone thinks of a single mother.....i don't find out someone is a single mother and think "oh good thing she didn't have an abortion." Wtf....ridiculous!

Lurion
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM

And I fully respect your choice. Everything in its own time (even if that's never).

Have you also considered that your children may feel a strong need to know?That there may be genetically inhereted gene mutations that gives your child an 80% chance of getting breast cancer? Both of those are happening in my family right now. My daughter's father refuses to let her search for her own answers--he was adopted and says he just isn't interested in searching. In his case, I just don't buy it. If he doesn't care, why would he deny his daughter that right? 

Also, have you thought that your birth mom may have fought to keep you and had no choice in them ripping you from her? Do you care that she may think of you every day and just long to know that you're ok? 

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Lurion:

We are still dealing with the fallout of that course of action through the million plus babies ripped from their mothers' arms and placed for adoption because their mothers were "sluts" and "unfit" to raise their own children in the 50s and 60s. I'm involved with groups who help locate and reunite these mothers and children. That whole system has caused lifelong agony for so many. 

Maybe... but not for all. I'm an adoptee from the 60s. I have never felt the need to seek my birth family out, and I don't regret it for an instant. I don't need to know whose genes I carry to know who I am.

lucky2785
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Where is the logic behind that? Single motherhood is the norm. I think we ,for the most, have reached a point in society where we realize we are raising shitty men. If there were any link between opinions of abortion and single motherhood it would be the opposite than the article. A "why have sympathy for a single mother, she choose to keep it." Kind of deal. IMO...a single mother does not deserve hero status for not having an abortion, as the article implied. She deserves hero status for her hardwork, and sacrifice to ensure her children have a God life.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

you missed the point. back in the 50s a teen or unwed mom was sent AWAY to another relative because they were shameful, and needed to be hidden. if abortion was illegal now, that attitude would come back in full force

Quoting lucky2785:

lucky2785
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Single fatherhood is also on the rise....what of that?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)