Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pro-life women should pray that abortion remains legal. Instead of being a hero for choosing life women will be called sluts if abortion is outlawed.

Posted by   + Show Post

Pro-life women should pray that abortion remains legal. If you have an out of wedlock birth today you are a hero for "choosing life" but if abortion is outlawed it is again the 1950s and you have turned into "a slut."

Recently there has been discussion about "the continuing rise in out-of-wedlock birth rates [being] an unintended consequence of the pro-life movement’s modest success at stigmatizing abortion."

We discussed that here in this thread:

Does Abortion Lead to More Stable Marriages? Did the Pro-Life Movement Lead to More Single Moms? A legacy conservatives have not grappled with.

What I would like to discuss now is this comment which was made in response to the following article in the New York Times:

The Bristol Palin Effect vs. The Roe Effect

Every single mother in the red states should pray that abortion remains legal. Right now, you are a hero who has "chosen life." the minute the right is able to outlaw abortion, you are back in the 1950s where I grew up and you have turned into "a slut" and that innocent baby the anti-abortion now defies becomes your "little bastard, " excluded from any decent home. No one had any problem treating an unwed mother and her child like dirt in the 1950s. This attitude will quickly return, as all the right wing comments indicate it is only shallowly submerged. As for the idea male irresponsibility is encouraged by the availability of abortion, my grandmother always warned me in the 1950s,"a boy can go home and put on a clean shirt and be welcomed into everyone's home even if they know wht he has done, but everyone will spit on you and your baby."So by all means, let's outlaw abortion and go back to the 1950s and all those wnderful two parent families and women hating attitudes. Just be prepared for your daughters to pay the price. Oh, that's right, right,"good girls" won't get pregnant before marriage. And if they do, it means they were "sluts" all along. Are you listening,all you Bristol Palins. I doubt it. When you boil it down, anti-abortionists basically are people who are afraid that somewhere in the world there is a woman who is having sex who is not being "punished" for it by becoming pregnant. What a wonderful, life affirming philosophy-- as long as you are a man, Ross.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Replies (131-131):
StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I think it's dumb people want to base the issue on what they'll be called. People will always be judged and called names.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured