Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Women today too independent?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 345 Replies
4 moms liked this

I am not saying we should go back to 1950 and turn into property without any selfmade income etc. The women's rights movement was good in a lot of ways. Comments that are ignorant of the first two sentences are not welcomed. That being said...Are women too independent in today's society? Think about how homemakers were onced admired, now they are critiziced for not bring in an income and doing 'real' work. Babies were blessings, now they are financial burdens that take away from a parent's ability to work or force them to pay for child care. PA was called taking care of your neighbor, now its a disgrace to need help. Largely these attitudes towards family size, homemakers, PA are caused by the women's rights movement. We are fought to work and now its become an obligation almost. With the acceptance of lesbian marriages, now men are basically obsolete. We can marry each other and do IVF. It's gone too far. The olypic commericials thanked moms, but never once included dads. Men have zero say in stopping an abortion, even if he wishes to raise the child himself without child support. It's almost time for a men's rights revolution.

Because it isn't clear: I believe women should be able to work, vote, be single, etc. I don't understand why people hate SHAMS.

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for Protective Animal League & LAP, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 8yr, Ashley 7yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 11 months, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM
17 moms liked this
1) no women are not too independent.

2) you can't dictate how people respond to threads.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
21 moms liked this
I don't know.. Are men too independent? It is disgusting this is even a thought. I am my own person and not the property of anyone
LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

dictate, no, but have expectations...absolutely. Why do you feel women are not too independent?

Quoting punky3175:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM
7 moms liked this

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I don't know.. Are men too independent? It is disgusting this is even a thought. I am my own person and not the property of anyone

Dag nabbit where the hell is the love button?

punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Because I don't. The idea that we are is absolutely absurd. As deb asked - are men 'too independent'?

Quoting LavenderMom23:

dictate, no, but have expectations...absolutely. Why do you feel women are not too independent?

Quoting punky3175:

nataliesmom2012
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM
4 moms liked this
Too independent!? Is that even a real thing?
LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM
3 moms liked this

In some cultures that favor collectivism, YES

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Men used to be way too independent. There needed to be a balance. Now it seems to have swung too far the other direction. I did not respond to deb since her reply also included a complete disregard for the first two sentences. I want an acutal conversation. So thank you.

Quoting punky3175:

Because I don't. The idea that we are is absolutely absurd. As deb asked - are men 'too independent'?

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Quoting punky3175:

nataliesmom2012
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM
9 moms liked this
Well fortunately for me, I don't live in one of those cultures. I'm proud to be an independent woman. I would lose my mind if I had to depend on a man.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

In some cultures that favor collectivism, YES

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

TempestRayne
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM
7 moms liked this
I do not believe that women are to independent. We are more aware of our rights now, and have the resources to make our needs become realities on our own. As far as how mothers and homemakers are percieved right now, it is honestly no surprise. The pendulum had to swing this way for atleast a brief time, simply because it was on the other extreme for so long. Eventually, things will equalize.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)