Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J015v27n03_06

Abortion and Mental Health

What Therapists Need to Know

DOI:
10.1300/J015v27n03_06
Lisa Rubina & Nancy Felipe Russob 

pages 69-90

Publishing models and article dates explained
Version of record first published: 25 Sep 2008
Article Views: 162

Abstract

Unwanted pregnancy and abortion are common life events, and therapists are likely to work with clients who experience them. Legal abortion currently entails little physical or mental health risk; most women currently cope effectively with these life events without need of clinical intervention. But current abortion politics include efforts to make abortion a more threatening, stressful, and stigmatized experience and to create a “postabortion syndrome.” Using a stress and coping framework, we examine how antiabortion activists spread myths and misinformation aimed at women's appraisal processes, and discuss approaches therapists can use to enhance women's strategies for coping with abortion. We also discuss specific issues and useful techniques for counseling about abortion concerns, including cultural sensitivity and strategies for promoting positive sexual health.

What do you think poses more of a risk, the abortion itself or the stigma that many on the pro-life side of the house put on it and the woman?  

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Quoting stringtheory:

Huh. I don't feel the least bit regretful or guilty... must be my cold-stone heartlessness...which my dd thrives off of everyday. I know more women who have had abortions than haven't (at least half of them are "pro-life") and only ONE has any guilt associated with it. Because she has a crappy family.

My family suggested termination. My mom told me that if I had the baby not to expect a damn thing from her. After all was said and done she condemned me for terminating. I'm okay with my decision even if she can't clearly remember the truth.

just felt like sharing

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry you had to go through that with your family.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting stringtheory:

Huh. I don't feel the least bit regretful or guilty... must be my cold-stone heartlessness...which my dd thrives off of everyday. I know more women who have had abortions than haven't (at least half of them are "pro-life") and only ONE has any guilt associated with it. Because she has a crappy family.

My family suggested termination. My mom told me that if I had the baby not to expect a damn thing from her. After all was said and done she condemned me for terminating. I'm okay with my decision even if she can't clearly remember the truth.

just felt like sharing

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM
After the many years of waiting periods and forced to be witnessed sonograms, don't you think the argument of the women being unprotected by the government against the money grubbing abortion clinic is a bit insincere and irrelevant?
Some states have had those things for twenty years so some women refuse to be saved don't they?

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Yeah, until you fast forward 30 years after the abortion, when the women FINALLY understands what she did.

I could see how it does not cause trauma mentally, because I'd bet over half the women getting abortions don't know what they are doing, its usually vaguely explained to them during the first visit and they think its nothing more than a period.

And I can ALSO see how the new legislation can make it MORE traumatic, a woman goes in selfishly and then has to see face to face what she is killing. Its a lot easier not to have a face to the life you are ending.

For my sister that holds true, she went in, got the cervidil, had the vaginal ultrasound and then CHANGED HER MIND after seeing her sweet little gummy bear, but it was TOO LATE at that point. Very heartbroken that she has to live with that, and that the child had to perish.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I can agree with this. I haven't had an abortion, but I did have a fairly traumatic childbirth and difficult pregnancy to boot. I suffered some pretty severe emotional issues after having my daughter that I'm not sure I would have suffered the same way if I had chose abortion. Not saying I regret my decision to have my daughter at all, but I'm not sure the procedure is as traumatic as losing so much blood you almost need a transfusion and having no idea if you're alright or if your child is alright as well. Again, I haven't had an abortion so I can't speak from experience from that perspective though.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I think that as a mental health professional, I have t be prepared for clients with emotional reactions to abortions, deliveries that didn't go as planned, PPD, etc.  My understanding is that abortion doesn't have any more emotional/psychological risks than pregnancy.  I think that there is a lot of stigma.  I've done clinic defense & I would hate to be one of the abortion survivors having to get in & out of the clinic, dealing with Operation Rescue.  It would have been very emotional if I had had to deal with the equivalent while going to my IUIs, pre-natal exams, or L&D.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

i will never regret mine. it was the best decision i ever made, because i would not have the child i have today if i did not terminate my first pregnancy

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Yeah, until you fast forward 30 years after the abortion, when the women FINALLY understands what she did.

I could see how it does not cause trauma mentally, because I'd bet over half the women getting abortions don't know what they are doing, its usually vaguely explained to them during the first visit and they think its nothing more than a period.

And I can ALSO see how the new legislation can make it MORE traumatic, a woman goes in selfishly and then has to see face to face what she is killing. Its a lot easier not to have a face to the life you are ending.

For my sister that holds true, she went in, got the cervidil, had the vaginal ultrasound and then CHANGED HER MIND after seeing her sweet little gummy bear, but it was TOO LATE at that point. Very heartbroken that she has to live with that, and that the child had to perish.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:03 AM

No one can make another feel a certain way.  If someone feels a certain way, then it is usually because there is some truth to that feeling they are experiencing.

all damn day choices drive home the idea that an abortion is a legal medical procedure that is no different than any other medical procedure...if this was the case then there would be no reason for a woman who has an elective abortion to feel any guilt.  I mean if a fetus is nothing more than a non-viable parasite, a woman who aborts should feel no differently about her abortion than I did about having my tonsils removed.

abortion either isn't a big deal or it is.  Choicers need to make up their god damned minds.

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I tried to download the study, unfortunately it is not a free study and cost $37 to download. Without reading the study it is difficult to formulate an informed response. I will say, that abstract is incredibly narrow and leaves little room for discovery. I suspect her conclusion reads very similarly. I am curious about her methodology. 

Quoting blues_pagan:

I linked it since I didn't want to violate copyright laws.

Quoting rfurlongg:

This looks like an abstract from a study. Where is the methodology and conclusion?

Kelseyciarah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM

What reaction are you trying to get out of me? Want me to berate you? Or say the tried and true "I'll pray for you"?

No, A)I do not think judging women who choose to abort is my place, especially not my place to try and make them feel bad for their choice. B)I am not religious.

But I do feel sorry for you, and those like you. I can say, good for you for choosing life the second time around.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

i will never regret mine. it was the best decision i ever made, because i would not have the child i have today if i did not terminate my first pregnancy

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Kelseyciarah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

20 years a marriage and two healthy children later I still will say that the abortion I had was one of the best decisions I made in my adult life.

Thats a sad way to look at it. I will never understand how someone can look at ending the life of the child within them was the "best decision" regardless of situation. To basically say "Yep, I had a doctor scrape out my uterus and end the life of the human being that was growing and developing in me" with a smile on is just very sad to me.

Good for you on the choice to continue your other pregnancies and becoming a mother though.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Oh, sorry.  I am in school right now and my lab fees and other class expenses tend to cover these expenses.  

I know one other area that I looked into before posting this was the Guttmacher Institute.  They have detailed information on abortion.

Quoting rfurlongg:

I tried to download the study, unfortunately it is not a free study and cost $37 to download. Without reading the study it is difficult to formulate an informed response. I will say, that abstract is incredibly narrow and leaves little room for discovery. I suspect her conclusion reads very similarly. I am curious about her methodology. 

Quoting blues_pagan:

I linked it since I didn't want to violate copyright laws.

Quoting rfurlongg:

This looks like an abstract from a study. Where is the methodology and conclusion?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured