Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J015v27n03_06

Abortion and Mental Health

What Therapists Need to Know

DOI:
10.1300/J015v27n03_06
Lisa Rubina & Nancy Felipe Russob 

pages 69-90

Publishing models and article dates explained
Version of record first published: 25 Sep 2008
Article Views: 162

Abstract

Unwanted pregnancy and abortion are common life events, and therapists are likely to work with clients who experience them. Legal abortion currently entails little physical or mental health risk; most women currently cope effectively with these life events without need of clinical intervention. But current abortion politics include efforts to make abortion a more threatening, stressful, and stigmatized experience and to create a “postabortion syndrome.” Using a stress and coping framework, we examine how antiabortion activists spread myths and misinformation aimed at women's appraisal processes, and discuss approaches therapists can use to enhance women's strategies for coping with abortion. We also discuss specific issues and useful techniques for counseling about abortion concerns, including cultural sensitivity and strategies for promoting positive sexual health.

What do you think poses more of a risk, the abortion itself or the stigma that many on the pro-life side of the house put on it and the woman?  

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Replies (61-70):
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Incredibly biased source, and not an institute for research.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Hundreds of women who have had abortions were sampled by the postabortion

researchers at the Elliot Institute for Social Science Research. They

report the following statistics:

• 90% suffer damage in their self-esteem

• 50% begin or increase alcohol and drugs

• 60% report suicidal ideation

• 28% actually attempt suicide

• 20% suffer full blown post traumatic stress disorder

• 50% report some symptoms of PTSD

• 52% felt pressured by others to have the abortion.

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

On this topic, NO ONE is unbiased. 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting LavenderMom23:

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I think that there can be some unbias information.  True scientists and researchers do not look for things that prove their views but instead simply look for the answer to a question.

This "research center" is far from unbias and probably only looks at evidence that supports their point of view.  Poorly done research

Our coalition seeks to address different concerns raised by unregulated human engineering with a single solution that will appeal to people from all walks of life: conservative or liberal, rich or poor, devout or indifferent, theist or atheist. 

Many, perhaps most, of our members are and will be motivated by the view that human life is sacred.  For these members, the idea that human nature is being altered and human embryos are being destroyed in science experiments, drives their support.

Others are chiefly concerned about the threats to public health, the environment, or the economic and social consequences of unregulated human engineering.  Some of the secular supporters of our effort may even be willing to accept some modification of the human genome, once it is proven to be safe.  But virtually all in this group believe voters, not just biotech entrepreneurs and eugenic utopians, should have a say about if and when we enter into the "Brave New World" of genetically altered human beings.

Many people will share have both religious and secular concerns.  The organizers of the coalition believe that both concerns are valid and should be considered, respected, and appealed to in our efforts to raise public awareness and concern about these issues.

At this time, the coalition building project is being led by the Elliot Institute for Social Sciences Research is a 501(c)3 organization with offices in Springfield, IL and St. Charles, MO.

Under the direction of biomedical ethicist David C. Reardon, Ph.D., the Elliot Institute is  engaged in research and educational activities related to the effects of eugenics, abortion, population control, and sexual attitudes and practices on individuals and society at large. 

We anticipate that at some date in the near future, the coalition will form a separate corporate identity, at which point the Elliot Institute will transfer leadership to that entity.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

On this topic, NO ONE is unbiased. 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting LavenderMom23:

GraceStrickland
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Women who get abortions need to be fully aware that they are terminating a human life, and what the effects on their body and frankly what the fetus at whatever age experiences.  If they are old enough to get pregnant IN MOST CASES then they can have an abortion fully informed.   (not including the less than 1% who are 11 yr old rape incest victims, who should be sheltered to the maximum.)

Having said that, name calling and insults and pointless criticism are rarely ever effective tools for anything.

Extremism from either side is  just, ugh, ie, uck, painful to read and/or hear....

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Nah. I had mine about 40 years ago. My stress was trying to choose the least of all evils in front of me. I chose to go to Boston to Bill Bairds clinic. You all know Bill Baird don't you? If you know anything about the history of legal abortions, you do. He was very graphic in everything that would happen. He also counciled in what to do after...after meaning when all was said and done, healing was complete, etc. Birth control, etc. I was awake and watched. I was not horror stricken. When I look back...if I had not aborted, I most likely would have committed suicide. So I chose the child that was already among the living, breathing, walking.

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Yeah, until you fast forward 30 years after the abortion, when the women FINALLY understands what she did.

I could see how it does not cause trauma mentally, because I'd bet over half the women getting abortions don't know what they are doing, its usually vaguely explained to them during the first visit and they think its nothing more than a period.

And I can ALSO see how the new legislation can make it MORE traumatic, a woman goes in selfishly and then has to see face to face what she is killing. Its a lot easier not to have a face to the life you are ending.

For my sister that holds true, she went in, got the cervidil, had the vaginal ultrasound and then CHANGED HER MIND after seeing her sweet little gummy bear, but it was TOO LATE at that point. Very heartbroken that she has to live with that, and that the child had to perish.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Not to forget, it's not HER story. It's someone else's story. Nobody truly knows anothers walk.

Quoting frogbender:

*extreme eye roll at the extreme assumptions*

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Yeah, until you fast forward 30 years after the abortion, when the women FINALLY understands what she did.I could see how it does not cause trauma mentally, because I'd bet over half the women getting abortions don't know what they are doing, its usually vaguely explained to them during the first visit and they think its nothing more than a period.And I can ALSO see how the new legislation can make it MORE traumatic, a woman goes in selfishly and then has to see face to face what she is killing. Its a lot easier not to have a face to the life you are ending.For my sister that holds true, she went in, got the cervidil, had the vaginal ultrasound and then CHANGED HER MIND after seeing her sweet little gummy bear, but it was TOO LATE at that point. Very heartbroken that she has to live with that, and that the child had to perish.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kelseyciarah: 
Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:
Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Yeah, until you fast forward 30 years after the abortion, when the women FINALLY understands what she did.I could see how it does not cause trauma mentally, because I'd bet over half the women getting abortions don't know what they are doing, its usually vaguely explained to them during the first visit and they think its nothing more than a period.And I can ALSO see how the new legislation can make it MORE traumatic, a woman goes in selfishly and then has to see face to face what she is killing. Its a lot easier not to have a face to the life you are ending.For my sister that holds true, she went in, got the cervidil, had the vaginal ultrasound and then CHANGED HER MIND after seeing her sweet little gummy bear, but it was TOO LATE at that point. Very heartbroken that she has to live with that, and that the child had to perish.

20 years a marriage and two healthy children later I still will say that the abortion I had was one of the best decisions I made in my adult life.

Thats a sad way to look at it. I will never understand how someone can look at ending the life of the child within them was the "best decision" regardless of situation. To basically say "Yep, I had a doctor scrape out my uterus and end the life of the human being that was growing and developing in me" with a smile on is just very sad to me.

Good for you on the choice to continue your other pregnancies and becoming a mother though.

Which is why YOUR opinion matters very little.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Though I believe these numbers are pure bullshit, I will say, although I have never personally had an abortion, I did let someone know that if the 1st thought that crossed her mind at 19 after hearing your pregnant, I need to not be...then you shouldn't be. I paid for the abortion because she couldn't afford it and she didn't want the guy she had the 1 night stand with to think he had a choice, which I fully encouraged. She has no issues with her self esteem, she did not increase her drinking or do heavy drugs, was not and did not attempt suicide, and did not feel "pressured". If someone was pressured as an adult to have an unwanted abortion, then they did not need to be caring for a child anyway if you can not use your own mind. There are thousands of reasons why someone chooses to have an abortion and a even if it is only 1 reason they decide to have one, it is none of your business. If you have never met this person and even if it was your sister, their abortion has nothing to do with you. 

Quoting LavenderMom23:

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Definitely not talking about her sister's story here, obviously.

Quoting EireLass:

Not to forget, it's not HER story. It's someone else's story. Nobody truly knows anothers walk.

Quoting frogbender:

*extreme eye roll at the extreme assumptions*

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Yeah, until you fast forward 30 years after the abortion, when the women FINALLY understands what she did.I could see how it does not cause trauma mentally, because I'd bet over half the women getting abortions don't know what they are doing, its usually vaguely explained to them during the first visit and they think its nothing more than a period.And I can ALSO see how the new legislation can make it MORE traumatic, a woman goes in selfishly and then has to see face to face what she is killing. Its a lot easier not to have a face to the life you are ending.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I would say that if society reactions are pressed onto a person that yes it can .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)