Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Snip Snip - the side effects of a vasectomy

Posted by   + Show Post

DH is thinking of getting snipped - we're done having kids.

Almost all Dr.s say there is no side-effects, The procedure is down,  a day or two of rest and an ice pack and he's done. 

However, the internet says shows a very different side.  Men reporting pain, a constant pain for months following,  the vas deferns (or epidideymis) bursting from pressure, swelling continuing for weeks.

So two quesitons -

Do you know any men who have had it done - did they have any issues a day or two post procedure?

Second - it seems like this is the case with everything medical.  Medicine/Dr.s/AMA/Hospitals say whatever procedure/operation/drug/etc is safe and then the internet shows some pretty bad horror stories resulting from "Safe" procedures/operations/drugs/etc.

Do you trust that something is safe b/c "medicine" says it is - or do you think "big medicine" is just looking out for themselves and will say anything? 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Oh- I don't trust anything anyone says. I do my own research, but legitimate research. I don't mean research by reading CM, or yahoo reports. People will say whatever they please, right or wrong, accurate or not. I mean research on medical things like NIH, medline, reviewing published studes, etc. You can find an argument to almost anything, especially on the internet.

Feel good abou tyour doc, how long has he done this procedure, how many has he done... etc. What complications has he seen over the years, would he have it done himself...

We actually switched urologists after we started asking questions. Found out he had been an oral surgeon until a few years before... that didn't work for us. I like someone who has been practicing about 15 years or so, with a good 10,000 procedures or more "under their belt" so to speak...personally, I wouldn't see a real new guy, or go to a teaching hospital :)

Do I trust anything medical? Hmm, I'm an FNP, I make up my own mind. But, for th emost part I do, as long as I am informed. I don't buy everything hook line and sinker. Medicine is all about the risk versus benefit, even routine screenings, vaccinations, medications, etc.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM
First - yes, my hubby had it done ... drum roll please, TWICE!!!! His Dr screwed up the first time and cut connective tissues on the right side instead if the vas. Both times he had minor swelling and soreness for a day or two, entirely controlled and alleviated by ice packs (frozen peas work great) and Tylenol or Advil.

However, I will add that make sure he takes in a sample. My hubby didn't and now we have a 'surprise' 6 yo ds.

Secondly - everyone reacts differently to things. Procedures that are deemed safe are usually called safe because the risks of adverse reactions are very minimal ... but it doesn't mean there are never or can never be adverse reactions.

I trust MY Dr who knows ME and MY medical history to know if I will be at a higher risk of an adverse reaction to a procedure/drug/etc.

I also think that, while the Internet *can* be a great tool in informing people, it can also be a terrible tool of misinformation and info should be taken with a grain of salt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM
After my husbands surgery, he ejaculated the next day because he wanted to make sure it all still worked, regardless of the post open instructions to not do that for a week. He also returned to work a few days later. His vast deferens swole up, he had horrible bruising, lots of pain for weeks, etc. And then it didn't take. He had to have it done a second time. This time he followed post open directions to the letter. It was more painful, but after a week he was completely back to normal, no more pain. Following those instructions are very important. I'd be willing to wager that anyone having horrible side effects lasting for long periods of time probably didn't take the appropriate time to recover.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM

This is why me and my husband are fighting now. We can't agree on a BC method for after this baby. I'm pretty much done being the guinea pig for BC sake. BUT he doesn't want to get snipped and there is conflicting information about both procedures. So we're stuck. None of the men I know who have had it done have issues though.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Quoting JCB911:

I agree that a vasectomy is far better than anything I could do.  And I won't.  I was stupidly on the pill when I was younger. Luckily I had no ill-effects - but I know better now.   It's either get snipped or stick with condoms.

Quoting Ziva65:

Hubby had it, so have most of our male friends.

They have all been fine. Hubby and I went ot a concert the same night. There are risks to everything, and potential side effects. In the long run, it sure is better than putting hormones in your body...or some other female options that are more invasive.

Get a urologist that you like, who has a good reptation, and a good record. Interview him, talk wth him... peronally, I think it's the best way to go. But, everyone is different.

Worked for us. Hubby didn't have much a choice really :)

yeah- but that might be hard for the long term, especially if you guys are sure you don't want anymore kids. Besides... condoms can rip. You have to feel good about the procedure though, so does hubby.

I didn't let hubby think on it too long, or he would have talked himself out of it :)

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM
2 moms liked this
That's a good way of deciding. My dh volunteered. I had a small stroke during the delivery of my younger dd. He was there and saw it happen. He said he never wanted to see me go through any unnecessary procedure again.

Quoting LindaClement:

I said the same thing --but later came across a very sensible way to decide who would be the one surgically altered:

If the very worst happened, and you found yourself single again (widowed, whatever) would you NEVER have another baby, or maybe ever consider it again.

Whoever says 'never' should be altered. If it's both of you, go for the easiest procedure.

Quoting JCB911:

I agree that a vasectomy is far better than anything I could do.  And I won't.  I was stupidly on the pill when I was younger. Luckily I had no ill-effects - but I know better now.   It's either get snipped or stick with condoms.

Quoting Ziva65:

They have all been fine. Hubby and I went ot a concert the same night. There are risks to everything, and potential side effects. In the long run, it sure is better than putting hormones in your body...or some other female options that are more invasive.

Get a urologist that you like, who has a good reptation, and a good record. Interview him, talk wth him... peronally, I think it's the best way to go. But, everyone is different.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting LindaClement:

I am sooooooo glad I didn't get "fixed" and my ex was the one who did. I knew I didn't want anymore babies when I was with him. But the moment I was free from him I knew I would want another in the future. When I was with him I was always so depressed, and it was extreme after my youngest was born. I thought I was the problem. Once I got away from him I haven't had to take a single antidepressant or anti anxiety pill (been 2 years now). And my husband (I am blissfully remarried) are trying for a new boogerbutt. :)
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

What a sweetie!

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

That's a good way of deciding. My dh volunteered. I had a small stroke during the delivery of my younger dd. He was there and saw it happen. He said he never wanted to see me go through any unnecessary procedure again.

Quoting LindaClement:

I said the same thing --but later came across a very sensible way to decide who would be the one surgically altered:

If the very worst happened, and you found yourself single again (widowed, whatever) would you NEVER have another baby, or maybe ever consider it again.

Whoever says 'never' should be altered. If it's both of you, go for the easiest procedure.

Quoting JCB911:

Quoting Ziva65:

pilsonmama
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM

My husband had it done a week ago yesterday....it was not a couple days of recovery, it was completly down for two days with ice packs (didn't swell to bad) he had to go back to work on Tuesday but definatly wasn't ready to he came home in alot of pain and he is still having quite a bit of pain. def wouldn't change gettin it done...way safer than having my tubes tied and a hell of alot cheaper lol

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I've never heard of any horror stories.

My husband is getting his soon and they are making him come to work the next day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN