Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Snip Snip - the side effects of a vasectomy

Posted by   + Show Post

DH is thinking of getting snipped - we're done having kids.

Almost all Dr.s say there is no side-effects, The procedure is down,  a day or two of rest and an ice pack and he's done. 

However, the internet says shows a very different side.  Men reporting pain, a constant pain for months following,  the vas deferns (or epidideymis) bursting from pressure, swelling continuing for weeks.

So two quesitons -

Do you know any men who have had it done - did they have any issues a day or two post procedure?

Second - it seems like this is the case with everything medical.  Medicine/Dr.s/AMA/Hospitals say whatever procedure/operation/drug/etc is safe and then the internet shows some pretty bad horror stories resulting from "Safe" procedures/operations/drugs/etc.

Do you trust that something is safe b/c "medicine" says it is - or do you think "big medicine" is just looking out for themselves and will say anything? 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I would call the doctor. He shouldn't be in that
much pain still.

Quoting pilsonmama:

My husband had it done a week ago yesterday....it was not a couple days of recovery, it was completly down for two days with ice packs (didn't swell to bad) he had to go back to work on Tuesday but definatly wasn't ready to he came home in alot of pain and he is still having quite a bit of pain. def wouldn't change gettin it done...way safer than having my tubes tied and a hell of alot cheaper lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Honey had it done.  The worst part for him was when the hair grew back.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Problem with the internet is unreliable statistics. What is the actual percentage of men with side effects after the procedure? What percentage of those men followed after care procedures and what percentage didn't? For the most part, it is a minor procedure with negligible side effects.

jllcali
by Jane on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I know a several men who have had it done, with no issues except the expected relatively minor pain. Three of them were in my unit when they had the procedure done and were back to regular PT in a week or less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM

known several all fine in a couple of days. With every procedure there are those that have issues or do a bad choice of doctors. But if you get fixed I can guarantee you life long irritations from the procedure. I do not know one woman who has had it without issues usually extremely painful periods.

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM
My bil had one. Ice for two days and he was fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM

All the guys I know who have had a vasectomy said it was really easy and painless. My son had one 5 years ago...his wife was  sick from taking the pill so he discussed a vasectomy with her and they decided that they didn't want more kids. So he voluntarily got the vasectomy. He was surprised at how simple it was,. He had no side effects. He went to work the next day.

WHERE did you read about men being in such pain and suffering for weeks and months? Yikes!

Decker
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM

My dh had it done. He said his boys are super sensitive even now 5 years later

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

NO!  I never trust those with a financial interest in promoting something to be honest about it.  You really have to read all sides of an issue.

Surgery sites are your best bet.  Drug sites too.  See what hundreds of real people are saying. 

ashleighmama
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM
My hubby had it done 8 years ago and didnt have any problems with it. Also, my bio dad and step dad had it done many years ago, and as far as I know, they didnt have any problems with it either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)