Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

‘I Need You in the Game’: Wis. Sheriff Tells Residents to Learn How to Use a Gun to Defend Themselves

Posted by   + Show Post

Crime

‘I Need You in the Game’: Wis. Sheriff Tells Residents to Learn How to Use a Gun to Defend Themselves

I Need You in the Game: Wis. Sheriff Tells Residents to Learn How to Use a Gun to Defend Themselves

n this Oct. 11, 2012 file photo, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke talks during a budget hearing in Milwaukee, Wis. The Wisconsin sheriff said he released an ad calling on residents to defend themselves because the old model of having a citizen call 911 and wait for help isn’t always the best option. (AP)

Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. has a message for residents: learn how to use a gun.

With budget cutbacks putting a strain on law enforcement, simply calling 911 might not cut it in a life-or-death or situation, Clarke said in a new radio ad this month. Safety is “no longer a spectator sport,” he says. “I need you in the game.”

“With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option,” Clark adds. “You can beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back. But are you prepared?”

“Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there. You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We’re partners now. Can I count on you?” he asks.

The spot has quickly earned criticism, including from the Milwaukee Deputy Sheriffs’ Association and Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.

Milwaukee Deputy Sheriffs’ Association president Roy Felber told the Associated Press it sounds like a call to vigilantism, while Barrett’s spokeswoman said it sounded like Clarke was “auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie.”

But Clarke told the AP he simply wants people to know what their options are in protecting themselves.

“I’m not telling you to `Hey, pick up a gun and blast away,’” he said. “People need to know what they are doing if they chose that method – to defend themselves.”

He said self-defense may not be for everyone, but that people who want to know how should be trained properly. After budget cuts forced him to lay off 48 deputies last year, he realized he had an “untapped reserve” — the public.

“People are responsible to play a role in their own safety, with the help of law enforcement,” Clarke said. “I’m here to do my part, but we have fewer and fewer resources. We’re not omnipresent, and we have to stop giving people that impression.”

James Fendry, director of the Wisconsin Pro Gun Movement, praised the ad, telling Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: “It’s never been a great option (calling 911). Unless you can take care of yourself, you’re kind of SOL.”

source

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Replies (31-40):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Quoting shannonnigans:

No offense, but some of you here are the absolute last people I would ever trust with a gun. Just a little too obvious in looking forward to using it.

Isn't that the truth.

Expecting all people go bear arms is a scary thought.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM

No one wants all people to carry a gun.    The criminals have to know some refuse to so they will know who to go after.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting shannonnigans:

No offense, but some of you here are the absolute last people I would ever trust with a gun. Just a little too obvious in looking forward to using it.

Isn't that the truth.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Are they going to pay for people to be trained properly and purchase them the gun?

Only a liberal would turn the Constitutional right to own a gun into a  government entitlement welfare program...

eye rolling

I don't recall saying, at any given time, that I am a liberal.

If some one feels every citizen should be armed and trained, they damn well better find a way to pay for it.  You can't demand people do some thing they may not feel comfortable doing or something they wish not to do.  Some may not want to exercise their right to bear arms.  

To start the Sheriff said for people to "consider" which is far different then demanding.  

And  in case you missed it the government can force people to do things they may not feel comfortable with ....wasn't it SCOTUS Scalia who suggested if the government can force people to purchase health insurance they can for them to buy broccoli...

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this

You're an idiot. He's not meaning it is a literal game. *insert eyeroll* Someone lacks common sense here, helllooo!

Quoting lga1965:

"I need you in the GAME"???

This is NOT a game. Guns and killing people is not a game.The guy is an airhead.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

No    offense here but there some of you are the absolute last people I would ever trust with a gun.  You would probably just turn it over to the government in a buy back program like good little liberals who want everyone else to defend them.

Quoting shannonnigans:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Quoting candlegal:

No one wants all people to carry a gun.    The criminals have to know some refuse to so they will know who to go after.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Isn't that the truth.

What a sad way to live.  If the criminals are all coming after us, your gun, my gun or the one down the street isn't going to provide that magical answer many seem to think.

The gun isn't the answer.  But then again, what was the question.......who has more power?  Who will kill first?  The so called law abiding, decent citizen or the criminal?

People do not want to address the issues our police departments have with low man power and even lower pay.  How do we get our police departments funded properly and manned properly?  Nah, lets just tell all citizens they need to arm themselves instead.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Quoting candlegal:

No    offense here but there some of you are the absolute last people I would ever trust with a gun.  You would probably just turn it over to the government in a buy back program like good little liberals who want everyone else to defend them.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Do you make this shit up as you go along?  I think so.

If you live in an area where you feel you must carry your gun on  you all the time, to protect yourself, you have some issues and may want to reconsider your priorities.

I certainly do not want some trigger happy redneck coming to my rescue.  I am more capable of protecting myself, my daughter and my home, than half the people I read about on this forum.

But I do not live in an area where we are being told we must take up a weapon and train ourselves because the criminals are coming out in full force.

Talk about giving them the power.  A power your gun won't be able to control.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Are they going to pay for people to be trained properly and purchase them the gun?

Only a liberal would turn the Constitutional right to own a gun into a  government entitlement welfare program...

eye rolling

I don't recall saying, at any given time, that I am a liberal.

If some one feels every citizen should be armed and trained, they damn well better find a way to pay for it.  You can't demand people do some thing they may not feel comfortable doing or something they wish not to do.  Some may not want to exercise their right to bear arms.  

To start the Sheriff said for people to "consider" which is far different then demanding.  

And  in case you missed it the government can force people to do things they may not feel comfortable with ....wasn't it SCOTUS Scalia who suggested if the government can force people to purchase health insurance they can for them to buy broccoli...

Let me know how that broccoli tastes.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM

It shouldn't be up to the police to have to protect us.   What did people do before they had police.    If you are counting on a policeman protecting you and it takes them how many minutes to get there, how are they going to do anything.

I personally don't carry a gun and probably wouldn't shoot one unless I absolutely had to but it is nice to know the people around me can and are trained to do so.  I would prefer armed citizens to protect me over having to come up with all the extra money we would have to continue to pay for many of these police departments that have already bankrupted their towns and cities.  Entitlements just don't go on forever.  Eventually people run out of money to keep on paying for them and that is what is happening here.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Isn't that the truth.

What a sad way to live.  If the criminals are all coming after us, your gun, my gun or the one down the street isn't going to provide that magical answer many seem to think.

The gun isn't the answer.  But then again, what was the question.......who has more power?  Who will kill first?  The so called law abiding, decent citizen or the criminal?

People do not want to address the issues our police departments have with low man power and even lower pay.  How do we get our police departments funded properly and manned properly?  Nah, lets just tell all citizens they need to arm themselves instead.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Quoting candlegal:

It shouldn't be up to the police to have to protect us.   What did people do before they had police.    If you are counting on a policeman protecting you and it takes them how many minutes to get there, how are they going to do anything.

I personally don't carry a gun and probably wouldn't shoot one unless I absolutely had to but it is nice to know the people around me can and are trained to do so.  I would prefer armed citizens to protect me over having to come up with all the extra money we would have to continue to pay for many of these police departments that have already bankrupted their towns and cities.  Entitlements just don't go on forever.  Eventually people run out of money to keep on paying for them and that is what is happening here.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Isn't that the truth.

You are missing what I am saying.

Should we do away with all law enforcement, all military?  We can just take up arms and every one protect themselves.  Lets head on back in time.

And there is it..............................entitlements.

You better start praying now that all those people around you, who are armed, are indeed going to protect you versus otherwise.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN