Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fake Profiles

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 124 Replies
6 moms liked this

The other day, I was reading responses to a popular post in this group when I noticed a certain poster was lying.  I was reading her responses to others, and she stated something personal about herself that I knew to be false.  I engaged her in conversation, eventually exposing her lie and (for the first time since I joined CM) called her a fake.  The next day, her profile was gone.

I suspect who she is, and I know she will be back under a new name.  She just can't help it, I suspect.

When I first joined CM in May 2007, I belonged to a popular debate group and made several friends.  Those of you who were involved will remember Lauren.  This was a woman who many of us became attached to - smart, pretty, expecting twins..... but she was fake.  She stole the photos of another woman to be herself and photo images of another woman's twins to make us believe they were hers.  A few women even gave this faker their personal information.  Very creepy.

This is just a reminder to all of us to be careful.  The 'woman' on the other end may not even be a woman, for one, and it is easy to get relaxed and comfortable and too trusting with someone who poses as a friend. 

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
8 moms liked this

I am actually the guy in my avi. Don't tell anyone tho.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I remember Lauren... :-/

I've met a couple people on here who I questioned and also came across a few men... It is very creepy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Idk who Lauren is but there are a few people in this group I'm pretty sure are not women.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I remember Lauren... :-/

I've met a couple people on here who I questioned and also came across a few men... It is very creepy.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Bald men are hot.  :)

Quoting Radarma:

I am actually the guy in my avi. Don't tell anyone tho.

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
Iconoclast
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Many people make fake avi. Sometimes it is because they are crazy, sometimes they do it to have backup in a debate (they agree with themselves), or both. I started out thinking this was a mom support group type of place and had no problem with posting pics and engaging in convo with members then I realized that there are a lot of cuckoos on here and removed all pics and info. Not too long ago someone we all know in this group admitted to stalking me, checking my profile repeatedly for pics and info about me and she was even caught a few times making multiple profiles. You just have to be carefull on here like you said.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I thought fakes and having multiple profiles wa almost the norm around here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
And I've been accused of being heartless for saying that I'll never become emotionally invested in the woes of internet strangers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Gross.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I too have come across a few posts that make me wonder if this person is for real or not.

Angelica46
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

How creepy and disturbing. Hard to know who you can trust on the internet these days and who is really who they say they are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN