Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent

Posted by   + Show Post

Israel has admitted for the first time that it has been giving Ethiopian Jewish immigrants birth-control injections, often without their knowledge or consent.

The government had previously denied the practice but the Israeli Health Ministry’s director-general has now ordered gynaecologists to stop administering the drugs. According a report in Haaretz, suspicions were first raised by an investigative journalist, Gal Gabbay, who interviewed more than 30 women from Ethiopia in an attempt to discover why birth rates in the community had fallen dramatically.

One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They [medical staff] told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.” It is alleged that some of the women were forced or coerced to take the drug while in transit camps in Ethiopia.

The drug in question is thought to be Depo-Provera, which is injected every three months and is considered to be a highly effective, long-lasting contraceptive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-gave-birth-control-to-ethiopian-jews-without-their-consent-8468800.html

Wow. Huuuge ethical violation there.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Replies (21-24):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I find it just as appalling as I find Margaret Sangers purpose for Planned Parenthood.

Oh and I am one you guys probably thought would jump to the defense of Israel.  I do support Israel..but I do not support this.

lol

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I find it just as appalling as I find Margaret Sangers purpose for Planned Parenthood.

Oh and I am one you guys probably thought would jump to the defense of Israel.  I do support Israel..but I do not support this.

lol

LOL?  Really?  Please share with me what you find so funny....birth control against your will or genocide.

I don't think either one of them are very funny myself.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

lol

LOL?  Really?  Please share with me what you find so funny....birth control against your will or genocide.

I don't think either one of them are very funny myself.

the lol was for the word 'purpose'. It's moot.

ethans_momma06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Does it surprise me that no one on here looked into this even the tiniest bit farther? Not a bit.

Why bother when we can just hate on Israel, right? They'd TOTALLY condone that sort of thing there. *eyeroll*.

Israel does not have a policy relating to this. This is not 'bad bad Israel' this is 'bad bad doctors'. This is not the government or the people secretly injecting them against their will.

"Rick Hodes, medical director in Ethiopia for the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, a non-governmental organization that helps to facilitate immigration to Israel, denied the accusation that women are coerced into receiving the injections before leaving for the Jewish state.

"Injectable drugs have always been the most popular form of birth control in Ethiopia, as well as among women in our program," Hodes wrote on Twitter."

"Our family program is, and always (has) been, purely voluntary."

To directly contradict the opening sentence to this post:

"Ministry Director-General Roni Gamzu said the decision did not imply he accepted the allegations by the Association of Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI)."

It makes logical sense that if a concern is raised that as the Director general, to come out and blatantly reiterate the stance that the doctors need to make sure that the patients understand what they are getting.

Obviously, there is misconduct going on.

"shows a nurse saying on a hidden camera that Ethiopian women were given Depo-Provera because they "don't understand anything" and would forget to take birth control pills."

If they are coming in for birth control- you still need to make sure that they are understanding exactly what you are doing to them. A language barrier is not a valid excuse to treat people like that.

source

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured