Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How late is too late?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM
  • 55 Replies
Our school uses the AlertNow system to issue automated calls about things like school closings and delays, etc. So last night, we got a call at 11:30 p.m. from the system, telling us school was on a two-hour delay for today. Hubs was pissed, as he has to get up at the crack of dawn for work, and it also woke up CJ, who had a hard time going back to sleep. Our last name starts with a B, so I would imagine that by the time the system was done calling everyone on the list, some people got calls as late as 1 a.m. I'm thinking of calling the school today and telling them that I never expect to be called that late again. It's easy enough to check in the morning if school is delayed. Would you be upset if you got called that late?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I see your point but some people would need to know as soon as possible so they can make alternate plans for the delay. So for them, being notified in the morning would be too late.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:42 AM

That is too late! How inconsiderate!

CreziaMommyTo2
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

i dont see it as being a problem.. for working parents it still gives them time to find alternate care for their kids...

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM

No.  Not a problem. 

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Our schools use a similar system to notify us of delays and cancellations.  I've never gotten a midnight phone call from them, but I have received 4 or 5 am phone calls from them.  I never thought about if it was right or wrong for them to call at that hour, I'm just glad that they call us so I know that I can shut off the alarm clock (my work closes on school snow days).  My husband is up that early for work, so he answers the phone when they call, but it still wakes me up. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM
The calls go out as soon as the decision is made. Much better11:30 than the wee hours of the morning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Who are you reasonably going to call at 11:30 at night to see if they can watch your kids? That's late to be bothering anyone, so IMO, it's no better to call that late than to call early in the morning. Either way, if you're a working parent, you're screwed.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

i dont see it as being a problem.. for working parents it still gives them time to find alternate care for their kids...

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM
This

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I see your point but some people would need to know as soon as possible so they can make alternate plans for the delay. So for them, being notified in the morning would be too late.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Our school system does the same things with automated ph calls and texts. They usually send out at 5am though. Still pissed me off, however I understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:00 AM

do you not have some sort of "weather" plan set up?  i am not a working parent.. my DH is, but i am that person, who watches my friends Kid, if school is closed or delayed, and we have it in place, where no matter what time they get the phone, they call.

its called "emergency" planning

i would rather her call me at 11:30 so i can at least prepare for the AM (and i usually go to bed at 9/10pm)

Quoting cjsbmom:

Who are you reasonably going to call at 11:30 at night to see if they can watch your kids? That's late to be bothering anyone, so IMO, it's no better to call that late than to call early in the morning. Either way, if you're a working parent, you're screwed.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN