Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 96

View Results

All of these posts about banning welfare recipients from spending money on X, Y, Z got me thinking.  Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?  After all, if they can't afford to support themselves, should they really be taking the money from the government just to give some away?

Whether or not it could be enforced isn't the point.  This is a philosophical question.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not think any church would expect anyone to give money that they truly could not give. I know our church doesn't. When someone at our church has a desire to tithe, but not the means, we suggest a time tithe.  Come up and help with the youth group.  Come up and help with our different service projects (we put together weekend food packs for the kids on free lunch at the school across the street, and other things like that).  There are far more ways to use your blessings to help God than just money.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Nah, you flash your TANF card when they pass the basket and grab a ten.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Well that would certainly kill the entire population

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Just ban people from doing any thing that doesn't meet the criteria of others.

That way, no one can do any thing and every one will be happy.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

This made me laugh. I can say in certain churches the amount of your righteousness seems to be based entirely on where or not you tithe and how much. They would feel this sort of ban to be an attack on Christianity.

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Sounds like a perfect world!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Just ban people from doing any thing that doesn't meet the criteria of others.

That way, no one can do any thing and every one will be happy.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Oh, good question! Here's a bump.
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Wonderful question!!

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Churches need people to tithe their time and talent just as much as money...

jean_marie1987
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I am pleased to hear that there are still churches that explain time tithing!!

Unfortunately, my husband used to attend a church that recorded tithes in the church bulletin. Literally: Name, $$.... or even: Name, $0. Yes, they'd also publish those who didn't tithe. I was appalled to hear this.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I do not think any church would expect anyone to give money that they truly could not give. I know our church doesn't. When someone at our church has a desire to tithe, but not the means, we suggest a time tithe.  Come up and help with the youth group.  Come up and help with our different service projects (we put together weekend food packs for the kids on free lunch at the school across the street, and other things like that).  There are far more ways to use your blessings to help God than just money.

jean_marie1987
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
You should read my reply to a PP...

It's sad that monetary tithing is so "important" in church. Some churches even collect twice (or more) in one service.

Quoting stormcris:

This made me laugh. I can say in certain churches the amount of your righteousness seems to be based entirely on where or not you tithe and how much. They would feel this sort of ban to be an attack on Christianity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN