Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 96

View Results

All of these posts about banning welfare recipients from spending money on X, Y, Z got me thinking.  Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?  After all, if they can't afford to support themselves, should they really be taking the money from the government just to give some away?

Whether or not it could be enforced isn't the point.  This is a philosophical question.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
jean_marie1987
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Sadly, so many churches avoid telling their congregations about those options.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Churches need people to tithe their time and talent just as much as money...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

That' what I was thinking. My son's church school is awesome! They have food pantries and do all kinds of stuff to help those in need.

Quoting candlegal:

Not sure what Church you go to but ours still helps the needy.  They go out twice a day to feed the homeless and the help to stock the pantry of many in the neighborhood and they don't have to be a member to get help.  They still visit shut ins and visit the prisoners as well as nursing homes.    Maybe you should find a new Church.

Quoting JoyfulinSD:

I have an issue with this. The church used to help the needy. Now, going to church is like a guiltfest. Half of the sermon is how desperate the church is now with needing updated, renovations, additions to the building, the pastors pay, sending kids to camp and everything else. When I was younger, the church used to go visitshut ins, help those in need in our community. Now we just sent $35,000 to Haiti to help them out. What about our members on PA?  welfare recipients should not contribute.  The church wants seperation of church and state, they shouldn't take from the state then either.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I'm not sure how that would be enforcable?

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting question. I don't see why they should be banned. They use it for whatever they want already. Better in an offering plate than on booze or cigarettes.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM

We aren't to the point where the govt is telling the people what they can do in church..close..but not quite.  Maybe I am just used to the way the Catholic church does it...the poor are on the receiving end....not so much on the giving end...at least not with money............and imho that is the way it should be.

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

If it is truly for whatever the recipient chooses to spend it on with no governmental strings attached, then tithing should be as acceptable as giving to any charity of the recipient's choice.

Mama2Spencerninja

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Our church doesn't just ask for money, you can always offer your time and talents if you cannot contribute money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1L2CMommy
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM
I didn't know poor people go to church these days. I thought it had become a middle/upper class activity. If your poor, do you attend regular services?
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I have no idea what. The statistics are regarding poor people attending church.

I am not poor. What does my church habits have to do with this post?

Quoting 1L2CMommy:

I didn't know poor people go to church these days. I thought it had become a middle/upper class activity. If your poor, do you attend regular services?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1L2CMommy
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Oops, I meant you in general, not specific to you op. Sorry.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I have no idea what. The statistics are regarding poor people attending church.

I am not poor. What does my church habits have to do with this post?

Quoting 1L2CMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)