Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 96

View Results

All of these posts about banning welfare recipients from spending money on X, Y, Z got me thinking.  Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?  After all, if they can't afford to support themselves, should they really be taking the money from the government just to give some away?

Whether or not it could be enforced isn't the point.  This is a philosophical question.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Replies (31-40):
mikesmom65270
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Agree!  When my husband was unable to work due to bypass surgery and we only had my income, our church told us we should not contribute until things were better. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

Members who are that low-income are not expected to contribute. None of our sermons are about money, or the need of it, so noone should feel guilty about not donating.

I do not comprehend our society's fixation on trying to ban A, B, C type persons from doing X, Y, Z activities or buying D, E, and F products.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Quoting jean_marie1987:

I am pleased to hear that there are still churches that explain time tithing!!

Unfortunately, my husband used to attend a church that recorded tithes in the church bulletin. Literally: Name, $$.... or even: Name, $0. Yes, they'd also publish those who didn't tithe. I was appalled to hear this.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I do not think any church would expect anyone to give money that they truly could not give. I know our church doesn't. When someone at our church has a desire to tithe, but not the means, we suggest a time tithe.  Come up and help with the youth group.  Come up and help with our different service projects (we put together weekend food packs for the kids on free lunch at the school across the street, and other things like that).  There are far more ways to use your blessings to help God than just money.

I would leave that church. Wow.

I do remember years ago hearing a Lutheran pastore preach against tithing. His reasoning was that historically, biblical times- it was the church that was responsible to care for the widows and orphans, and now that isn supposed to be via our taxes... his argument was interesting.

But to publish it? yikes. I have seen in many independant churches, the church board is open about each of their salaries, expected to tithe (meaning 10%) and then the pastors salary was to be an average of the board members, as if it is a cross section of the church. Pretty interesting when they pack the board with high salaried people... I read that in a document given to us when hubby was asked to be on the church board once- forget that, I wasn' t about to divulge what we made in a forum like that- or any forum for that matter.

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I think the church should pay people to attend.

PortiaRose
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM
i just pissed myself.

Quoting romalove:

Nah, you flash your TANF card when they pass the basket and grab a ten.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jean_marie1987
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM
He didn't have a choice, since he was a kid living with must-attend-church parents.

I am against tithing money, but I am okay with money as an offering. I generally have a few dollars I can offer to give the church, but 10% is something I can tithe in time/service. We don't make enough money to give the church, but we can give time. Besides, like a PP said, some churches help more overseas nowadays than in their own backyards (not all, but some), so why give more money for that when I could help at the church with the people instead?

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Unfortunately, my husband used to attend a church that recorded tithes in the church bulletin. Literally: Name, $$.... or even: Name, $0. Yes, they'd also publish those who didn't tithe. I was appalled to hear this.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I do not think any church would expect anyone to give money that they truly could not give. I know our church doesn't. When someone at our church has a desire to tithe, but not the means, we suggest a time tithe.  Come up and help with the youth group.  Come up and help with our different service projects (we put together weekend food packs for the kids on free lunch at the school across the street, and other things like that).  There are far more ways to use your blessings to help God than just money.

I do remember years ago hearing a Lutheran pastore preach against tithing. His reasoning was that historically, biblical times- it was the church that was responsible to care for the widows and orphans, and now that isn supposed to be via our taxes... his argument was interesting.

But to publish it? yikes. I have seen in many independant churches, the church board is open about each of their salaries, expected to tithe (meaning 10%) and then the pastors salary was to be an average of the board members, as if it is a cross section of the church. Pretty interesting when they pack the board with high salaried people... I read that in a document given to us when hubby was asked to be on the church board once- forget that, I wasn' t about to divulge what we made in a forum like that- or any forum for that matter.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jean_marie1987:

He didn't have a choice, since he was a kid living with must-attend-church parents.

I am against tithing money, but I am okay with money as an offering. I generally have a few dollars I can offer to give the church, but 10% is something I can tithe in time/service. We don't make enough money to give the church, but we can give time. Besides, like a PP said, some churches help more overseas nowadays than in their own backyards (not all, but some), so why give more money for that when I could help at the church with the people instead?

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I hear what you are saying. Our church gives tons overseas. I'm ok with it either way. As for tithing? We give a lot, but I don't give it all to church. I spread it out to various ministries. I know that's not thier intent- but that is what I do. I'm not all for where the church puts it's money. At least though, with this church we are attending they are very prudent with how they spend it. I appreciate that. I don't really feel strongly one way or another about tithing.

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Absolutely! If they can't buy a lottery ticket, they damned sure can't buy a ticket to "heaven."

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Quoting Mortiferouslatt:

Banned? No...but I do not think they should be expected to tithe by the church.

"The church" has nothing to do with one's tithe.  That's between the person and God alone. 

(Unless you're in a cult church that forces you to do it.)

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Wow, reading some of the responses here...in-credible.  Just shows how little some of you know. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SweetChild63:

Absolutely! If they can't buy a lottery ticket, they damned sure can't buy a ticket to "heaven."

Is that really what you think an offering or the tithe is all about? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN