Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 96

View Results

All of these posts about banning welfare recipients from spending money on X, Y, Z got me thinking.  Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?  After all, if they can't afford to support themselves, should they really be taking the money from the government just to give some away?

Whether or not it could be enforced isn't the point.  This is a philosophical question.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Replies (51-60):
JoyfulinSD
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM

The sad part of it happening here is we are in the middle of the Bible Belt.  1/4th of our city is owned by the churches (over 23 in the town alone) and we cannot get 1 of them to show up at the nursing home.  We had to hire our own.  It's funny on how they can make time to "Visit" the wealthy but cannot seem to find their way over to the needy rooms or send over someone for communion or even a group of volunteers to do bingo or sing at Christmas time. 

We stopped attending my church when thet refused a brand new sterio system that me and my DH wanted to buy for the toddler room becuase they insisted on a Bose system.  Then wouldn't accept a brand new couch because the teen center needed leather not cloth.  this was at the same time the Pastor insisted on a $20k raise because he neede to keep up a positive image in the community.  Out Pastor was making $90K  And the average income per household here is $44,135.  This was the same prick that asked us to change our Wedding Date because it interfered with a show he was following.  Our family finds God in our home now.

Quoting lwalker270:

Quoting JoyfulinSD:

I have an issue with this. The church used to help the needy. Now, going to church is like a guiltfest. Half of the sermon is how desperate the church is now with needing updated, renovations, additions to the building, the pastors pay, sending kids to camp and everything else.When I was younger, the church used to go visitshut ins, help those in need in our community. Now we just sent $35,000 to Haiti to help them out. What about our members on PA?  welfare recipients should not contribute.  The church wants seperation of church and state, they shouldn't take from the state then either.

Thankfully, this does not describe my church.  It still helps the needy at home as well as abroad.  I have never known my pastor to do a sermon based on what the church needs financially.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Quoting toomanypoodles:

Why Tithe?

2) Tithing is biblical.

Long before tithing was a practice of the Israelite people, Cain and Abel, the second generation of the human race, brought an offering to the Lord. The Lord blessed Abel's offering, but rejected Cain's. Abel brought the "firstborn of his flock," while Cain brought "some of the fruits of the soil" as an offering. God wants to be first.

Sacrifices are biblical - things burnt on an altar.

If you were going to use the precedent of Cain and Abel, then the money from the collection plate should be ritually burnt, rather than going to pay for mega-churches and bill board adverts.,

Kayla-Kay
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Tithe is for God. Government has nothing to do with the way the church ,God's house is run. Tithe is not just an empty dump on money. Tithe is a supernatural way to bring in annonting and hidden treasures into the Christian tithers life. "what you reap so shall you sew"

Idk what kind of church some of you are going to but that's so sad to think some are turning the house of God into a buisness for profit and a casual hangout zone. The house of God is a place of worship prayer and annointing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabear0791
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

At the church I attended as a  child (I moved away or I'd still be going), tithing also included time - if you didn't have cash, you could tithe your time for instance, cleaning the church on Monday morning. That is what my cousin did - she received a sall amount of cash benefits to supplement her blind pension - so she and her daughter cleaned the church, and volunteered for the baby room, just anything that she could devote time to doing.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Are you of the opinion that government assistance is a gift from God to the poor?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Why Tithe?

Tithing reflects a grateful heart that wants to give back to God a portion of what He has given us; in reality, what is already His. Tithing is our opportunity to show God that He is first in our lives. James 1:17 says that "every good and perfect gift is from above ...," so we have an opportunity to tangibly show God He is the "owner" of our finances by giving back to Him the first of what He gives us.

There are three reasons why we should tithe.

1) Tithing reflects our heart.

What is the most important thing to you? Jesus said in Matthew 6:21 that "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." We can see the reality of that in the world today and the exaltation of the financially successful, and more personally you can see that by looking at your own checkbook.

Malachi 3:10
"Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this," says the Lord of hosts, "If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it."

2) Tithing is biblical.

Long before tithing was a practice of the Israelite people, Cain and Abel, the second generation of the human race, brought an offering to the Lord. The Lord blessed Abel's offering, but rejected Cain's. Abel brought the "firstborn of his flock," while Cain brought "some of the fruits of the soil" as an offering. God wants to be first. The following scriptures show how tithing is biblical.

Genesis 14:18-20
Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High. And he blessed him and said: "Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand." And he gave him a tithe of all.

Genesis 28:22
"And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God's house, and of all that you give me I will surely give a tenth to you."

Leviticus 27:30
And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's. It is holy to the Lord.

Deuteronomy 26:1-2
And it shall be, when you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, and you possess it and dwell in it, that you shall take some of the first of all the produce of the ground, which you shall bring from your land that the Lord your God is giving you, and put it in a basket and go to the place where the Lord your God chooses to make His name abide.

3) Tithing is a benefit.

God's kingdom is built on multiplication, not division. God uses the tithe as an investment where everyone involved gets a return on the investment. Obviously, the church and the kingdom are blessed, and yet God's nature is to also bless the giver. This principle is highlighted in the passage below.

2 Chronicles 31:4-10
Moreover he commanded the people who dwelt in Jerusalem to contribute support for the priests and the Levites, that they might devote themselves to the Law of the Lord.

As soon as the commandment was circulated, the children of Israel brought in abundance the first fruits of grain and wine, oil and honey, and of all the produce of the field; and they brought in abundantly the tithe of everything. And the children of Israel and Judah, who dwelt in the cities of Judah, brought the tithe of oxen and sheep; also the tithe of holy things which were consecrated to the Lord their God they laid in heaps.

In the third month they began laying them in heaps, and they finished in the seventh month. And when Hezekiah and the leaders came and saw the heaps, they blessed the Lord and His people Israel. Then Hezekiah questioned the priests and the Levites concerning the heaps. And Azariah the chief priest, from the house of Zadok, answered him and said, "Since the people began to bring the offerings into the house of the Lord, we have had enough to eat and have plenty left, for the Lord has blessed His people; and what is left is this great abundance."

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Religious freedom.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Are you of the opinion that government assistance is a gift from God to the poor?

It sure isn't income.  They didn't earn it by working. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Why Tithe?

2) Tithing is biblical.

Long before tithing was a practice of the Israelite people, Cain and Abel, the second generation of the human race, brought an offering to the Lord. The Lord blessed Abel's offering, but rejected Cain's. Abel brought the "firstborn of his flock," while Cain brought "some of the fruits of the soil" as an offering. God wants to be first.

Sacrifices are biblical - things burnt on an altar.

If you were going to use the precedent of Cain and Abel, then the money from the collection plate should be ritually burnt, rather than going to pay for mega-churches and bill board adverts.,

My church's offerings and tithes go to keep the church running (paying the electric bill, etc)  so we can reach the lost.  No mega church building for us.  We are, however, finally getting a new sign up along the road to replace the 30 year old wooden one that had the nails rot out of it.  ;) 

Some churches still do the right thing.

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM
At my old church if you didn't tithe you couldn't participate in ANY church functions. Breakfast with the pastor, nope. You couldn't teach sunday school, you couldnt be a praise singer nothing.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I do not think any church would expect anyone to give money that they truly could not give. I know our church doesn't. When someone at our church has a desire to tithe, but not the means, we suggest a time tithe.  Come up and help with the youth group.  Come up and help with our different service projects (we put together weekend food packs for the kids on free lunch at the school across the street, and other things like that).  There are far more ways to use your blessings to help God than just money.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It sure isn't income.  They didn't earn it by working. 

Oh, Poodles.  This response has an unkind tone.  One never knows when one might lose their job in this economy.  I've heard of it taking months and sometimes years for people who've lost their jobs to find a new one that pays even close to what they made with job they'd lost.  I've heard many stories of people choosing to stay on unemployment because they simply can't find a new job that pays the bills.  This is very common among the people who are on PA nowadays.  One never knows when they might find themselves in that very situation.  Kindness is always a good tack to take.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)