Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What is a friendship?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 49 Replies
2 moms liked this

And how is it developed?

I hear many criticisms of online friendships even to the point of minimizing them with words like superficial and even sad.

I have been blessed to have had several people in my life that were truly my friends walk this earth with me. I have also had my life enriched by people I have met online.

To me friendship is about meeting someone and liking them enough to learn more about them and and some point committing to a friendship.  I dont take that lightly, whether it be online or irl. Makes no difference to me.

Thoughts?. 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

How can anyone else judge how real your friendships are?

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
4 moms liked this

I made friends while playing World of Warcraft that I love to this day. I may never meet them in person but they have been a part of my life. I also have a french pen pal that I write to regularly and we exchange gifts. We've been writing since I was in 10th grade. She's a major part of my life even though I'll never meet her.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Quoting mikiemom:

How can anyone else judge how real your friendships are?

lol well, they absolutely cant. I wasnt asking about peoples judgements of the friendships of others but  thoughts on what friendship means to them.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I usually don't feel really close to someone unless I know them in person. That doesn't mean that a true friendship couldn't start online.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM
5 moms liked this

I have made some very real friendships online. 

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Quoting mikiemom:

I usually don't feel really close to someone unless I know them in person. That doesn't mean that a true friendship couldn't start online.

Thats fair, what kind of things make you want to have a friendship with someone?

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Peanutx3:

I have no doubt.  You are an awesome lady.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM
4 moms liked this

A friendship is knowing that you can contact that person tell them exactly how things really are and they will listen and support you. It matters not in what context you know the person. My papa often said if you have one true friend in life then you have accomplished something great. I did not understand that at the time but I certainly do now. I think that finding a real friend is limited enough that creating further limits is a bad idea.

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM
3 moms liked this

We love you! Puuurrr

Quoting Peanutx3:

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I better call DH for a quickie at lunch. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN