Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Clorox's Green Housewives: pitting women against each other?

Posted by   + Show Post

Clorox makes a product line called Green Works.

Pause and consider what an oxymoron it is for a BLEACH company to make an eco-friendly line of cleaning products.

Their bread and butter is harsh chemicals, folks. If they start saving the earth and going green, it undercuts their brand, method, and cornerstone products.

That aside, they have a new ad out: the “Green Housewives.” Watch. Laugh. (Seriously, it’s ok to laugh. Though to be honest, the writing is pretty crappy and it’s not really that funny. Swing-an-a-miss!)

The video ad is titled “Greener Than Thou.“ (See where this is headed yet?)

This could have been funny! Get a better writer and approach the subject in a less divisive way, and I probably would have shared it on my Facebook page for its humor. (Ok, that’s not true, I doubt I’d share a Clorox ad. Just…no.)

This ad accomplishes three things:

Well played, Clorox. Well played.

1. It makes women who can spot greenwashing seem like extremists. You don’t want to scrutinize labels, ask questions, or educate yourself on the products you use and become some crazy extremist, do you? (Apparently, only smug, white, upper middle class women are “Free range and out of control”…interesting.)

2. The perfect is the enemy of the good, so join Clorox in being good enough. Well played.

3. It pits women against each other. This is the big one. They’ve created this false dichotomy that you’re either “normal” or “extreme.” Divide women and conquer us, Clorox. You’ll never win with the ones who see through your greenwashing, so convince the “normal” women to reject them.

So you’ve watched Clorox’s attempt at a hilarious, viral ad (however poorly executed). Maybe you still don’t like Clorox. But you’ve still subconsciously identified with one side or the other while you watched that, so Clorox wins. Be smarter than the big brand and their marketing.

Read more: http://amywest.co/2013/01/28/clorox-green-housewives/#ixzz2JIYbJBQT

What do you think? I think the highlighted part hits home. 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
rfurlongg
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:48 AM
It is reaching out to a very specific target audience. Most people that are particular about local, organics, dye-free, etc, would not buy clorox anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Clorox makes a product line called Green Works.

Pause and consider what an oxymoron it is for a BLEACH company to make an eco-friendly line of cleaning products.

Their bread and butter is harsh chemicals, folks. If they start saving the earth and going green, it undercuts their brand, method, and cornerstone products.

This is though: progress of technology.

Don't we want the companies that make the products we use around our homes to be motivated to put money into researching ways to change the fundamental properties, realities, of how those products work?

Someone found a way to make car windscreens use glass that doesn't cut people into thousands of pieces when it shatters.  The cars 100 years back didn't have that.  It took improving the technology.   Same thing.

Certainly innovation and advancements in technology can be a good thing. However, as it is, with companies rushing to make the almighty dollar at any costs, often incredible harm is done. Not always, of course, and not even always with mailicious intent. But the harm still happens. Just for an example (out of many): agricultural pesticides. Their effects are astoundingly awful, and we keep learning more and more about how bad they are (the latest news that they're devastating amphibian populations). 

So of course, technology and innovation can be good. But so far, we've tended to pursue 'advancement' at any cost, which is not ok with me. I don't see that changing too much too quickly. 

krysstizzle
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM

That's a not uncommon response, depending on who you're talking to :/ I found this commercial intriguing and article intriguing, particularly the red highlighted part. If you question conventional products, you're obviously an irritating, overbearing loon. (at least, that's the message I got...)

Quoting illegallyblonde:

We have been trying to get all the chemical cleaners out of our house. A couple months ago I told our cleaners to use our water and vinegar solution throughout the house. They gave me the biggest look of shock and disgust.

krysstizzle
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Except that 'organic' means something else now, as well. I assume most people know that 'organic produce' has nothing to do with 'organic chemistry'.

Quoting stormcris:

OCD anyone?

I will say there is a substantial difference in the green clorox product. I am suddenly allergic to bleach after my last surgery. The funny thing to me is technically bleach comes from an organic compound. I wonder if those OCD with organic really look for a carbon hydrogen bond. Lead can be organic and is highly toxic in that form.

Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:34 AM

While I see your point, I think the ad is funny because it does point out the funny concept that women out there DO compete over things like... Who is greener. Being green for some IS more about the 'trend' and being 'right' as opposed to doing what is best or our earth and health. Funny because its true kind of thing.

Also, I do think a LESS damaging product is better then no change. Such as the Prius. And few products sterilize like bleach. When my baby violently pukes all over the house with a virus? Breaking out the harsh stuff. Daily cleaning? I use more child safe products. Some of which work better.

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM
I haven't been able to watch the commercial. The only time I'm on CM I'm nursing a sleeping baby. It's funny how people get labeled a crazy extremist for questioning label, or even reading them. Sigh, I guess we all can't be sheep.

Quoting krysstizzle:

That's a not uncommon response, depending on who you're talking to :/ I found this commercial intriguing and article intriguing, particularly the red highlighted part. If you question conventional products, you're obviously an irritating, overbearing loon. (at least, that's the message I got...)

Quoting illegallyblonde:

We have been trying to get all the chemical cleaners out of our house. A couple months ago I told our cleaners to use our water and vinegar solution throughout the house. They gave me the biggest look of shock and disgust.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Okay the author is a dumbass. So is anyone that actually bought the stupid he is peddling.

Apparently he does not know that most companies make more than one product. The company that owns Clorox doesn't make JUST CLOROX. they make about 50 different products including KC Masterpiece, Hidden Valley, Burts Bees .....oh yeah ....and Brita filtration systems. Oh yeah ...they also make all the Glad products too. So they aren't just selling chemicals.

lga1965
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I haven't seen this commercial. I avoid them .LOL. I use bleach to clean...toilets and tubs and the kitchen sink. It kills germs. How else do you kill germs ? Do you just hope? Gee.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I don't use bleach at all. Yeah, it cleans well and leaves a nice clean smell in the house, but to be honest it scares me. When I used it I was so anal about cleaning everything over and over with water to make sure every single trace of the bleach was gone. I was scared it would somehow get on my hands or body or eyes, even after it had dried and I was done cleaning. Absolutely not worth it to me. I use vinegar, baking soda, lemon, and magic erasers now.

AMBG825
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Quoting illegallyblonde:

If you really want to mess with them - Hand them one of those hand held steamers (like THIS one) and tell them they can only use water to clean from here on out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN