Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Clorox's Green Housewives: pitting women against each other?

Posted by   + Show Post

Clorox makes a product line called Green Works.

Pause and consider what an oxymoron it is for a BLEACH company to make an eco-friendly line of cleaning products.

Their bread and butter is harsh chemicals, folks. If they start saving the earth and going green, it undercuts their brand, method, and cornerstone products.

That aside, they have a new ad out: the “Green Housewives.” Watch. Laugh. (Seriously, it’s ok to laugh. Though to be honest, the writing is pretty crappy and it’s not really that funny. Swing-an-a-miss!)

The video ad is titled “Greener Than Thou.“ (See where this is headed yet?)

This could have been funny! Get a better writer and approach the subject in a less divisive way, and I probably would have shared it on my Facebook page for its humor. (Ok, that’s not true, I doubt I’d share a Clorox ad. Just…no.)

This ad accomplishes three things:

Well played, Clorox. Well played.

1. It makes women who can spot greenwashing seem like extremists. You don’t want to scrutinize labels, ask questions, or educate yourself on the products you use and become some crazy extremist, do you? (Apparently, only smug, white, upper middle class women are “Free range and out of control”…interesting.)

2. The perfect is the enemy of the good, so join Clorox in being good enough. Well played.

3. It pits women against each other. This is the big one. They’ve created this false dichotomy that you’re either “normal” or “extreme.” Divide women and conquer us, Clorox. You’ll never win with the ones who see through your greenwashing, so convince the “normal” women to reject them.

So you’ve watched Clorox’s attempt at a hilarious, viral ad (however poorly executed). Maybe you still don’t like Clorox. But you’ve still subconsciously identified with one side or the other while you watched that, so Clorox wins. Be smarter than the big brand and their marketing.

Read more: http://amywest.co/2013/01/28/clorox-green-housewives/#ixzz2JIYbJBQT

What do you think? I think the highlighted part hits home. 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Replies (21-25):
illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Oohhh. My MIL only uses water on her wood floors and they are absolutely amazing. Yeah, they would freak out!

Hey, if I have a house full of dogs and kids playing on my floors I'm not going to have harsh chemicals on them. I guess I'm crazy. Lol.

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting illegallyblonde:

We have been trying to get all the chemical cleaners out of our house. A couple months ago I told our cleaners to use our water and vinegar solution throughout the house. They gave me the biggest look of shock and disgust.

If you really want to mess with them - Hand them one of those hand held steamers (like THIS one) and tell them they can only use water to clean from here on out.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I have laminate floors and 3 dogs. I use nothing buy my shark steam mop on them. I also have a hand held steamer similar to the one linked. What I don't use that one for I use baking soda or vinegar.

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Oohhh. My MIL only uses water on her wood floors and they are absolutely amazing. Yeah, they would freak out!

Hey, if I have a house full of dogs and kids playing on my floors I'm not going to have harsh chemicals on them. I guess I'm crazy. Lol.

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting illegallyblonde:

We have been trying to get all the chemical cleaners out of our house. A couple months ago I told our cleaners to use our water and vinegar solution throughout the house. They gave me the biggest look of shock and disgust.

If you really want to mess with them - Hand them one of those hand held steamers (like THIS one) and tell them they can only use water to clean from here on out.

krysstizzle
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I read the article as it related directly to clorox, not the mother company.

Quoting AMBG825:

Okay the author is a dumbass. So is anyone that actually bought the stupid he is peddling.

Apparently he does not know that most companies make more than one product. The company that owns Clorox doesn't make JUST CLOROX. they make about 50 different products including KC Masterpiece, Hidden Valley, Burts Bees .....oh yeah ....and Brita filtration systems. Oh yeah ...they also make all the Glad products too. So they aren't just selling chemicals.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I clean my windows with vinegar and wipe with a newspaper ( wearing rubber gloves so my hands aren't full of the ink) and my wood floors with vinegar  and water. But when it comes to toilets,etc. I use bleach. Vinegar doesn't kill germs.

AMBG825
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Well if they JUST sold bleach he would have a point. They have a few products that most people consider "all natural."

Quoting krysstizzle:

I read the article as it related directly to clorox, not the mother company.

Quoting AMBG825:

Okay the author is a dumbass. So is anyone that actually bought the stupid he is peddling.

Apparently he does not know that most companies make more than one product. The company that owns Clorox doesn't make JUST CLOROX. they make about 50 different products including KC Masterpiece, Hidden Valley, Burts Bees .....oh yeah ....and Brita filtration systems. Oh yeah ...they also make all the Glad products too. So they aren't just selling chemicals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN