Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Boy Scouts spokesman says organization is discussing "potentially removing" membership restriction on sexual orientation.

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 53 Replies

Story yet to be posted by CNN....

CNN.com

Breaking News

North West Passage

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Good.

I am curious to see how this plays out.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I was just about to post this. You beat me to it. Here's the info I found: NBC News' Pete Williams with the scoop: The Boy Scouts of America, one of the nation’s largest private youth organizations, is actively considering an end to its decades-long policy of banning gay scouts or scout leaders, according to scouting officials and outsiders familiar with internal discussions. If adopted by the organization’s board of directors, it would represent a profound change on an issue that has been highly controversial -- one that even went to the US Supreme Court. The new policy, now under discussion, would eliminate the ban from the national organization’s rules, leaving local sponsoring organizations free to decide for themselves whether to admit gay scouts. According to the report, an official announcement could come as soon as next week. If the group goes through with the change, it would mark a rather stunning reversal in a relatively short period of time. It was only last July that national Boy Scouts officials affirmed the ban, calling it "the best policy for the organization." Since then, however, the push to allow gays into the fold has picked up steam, at both the local level and from deep-pocketed donors. AT&T chief exec Randall Stephenson, for one, had suggested he'd work to end the ban. Stephenson currently sits on the Boy Scouts board and is next in line to be its chairman.
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this

It's about time.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Sorry to scoop you, especially without content. I have a CNN alert on my iphone. Guess they are later getting the story since Pete Williams at NBC had the scoop...that and I think they learned their lesson about speaking too soon. LOL.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I was just about to post this. You beat me to it. Here's the info I found: NBC News' Pete Williams with the scoop: The Boy Scouts of America, one of the nation’s largest private youth organizations, is actively considering an end to its decades-long policy of banning gay scouts or scout leaders, according to scouting officials and outsiders familiar with internal discussions. If adopted by the organization’s board of directors, it would represent a profound change on an issue that has been highly controversial -- one that even went to the US Supreme Court. The new policy, now under discussion, would eliminate the ban from the national organization’s rules, leaving local sponsoring organizations free to decide for themselves whether to admit gay scouts. According to the report, an official announcement could come as soon as next week. If the group goes through with the change, it would mark a rather stunning reversal in a relatively short period of time. It was only last July that national Boy Scouts officials affirmed the ban, calling it "the best policy for the organization." Since then, however, the push to allow gays into the fold has picked up steam, at both the local level and from deep-pocketed donors. AT&T chief exec Randall Stephenson, for one, had suggested he'd work to end the ban. Stephenson currently sits on the Boy Scouts board and is next in line to be its chairman.

North West Passage

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I may actually let my son join next year if they do

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Still a no for me. Won't support them because of their position on religious discrimination. Forced to proclaim a religious belief or being excluded from Boy Scouts is thought control.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
The massive sex abuse cover up is enough for me to keep my kids away. However, it is nice to see them come kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM
4 moms liked this
This is good. It would be more reflective of the individual packs positions on this subject, at least in my area. In my son's pack, and in many packs in the area it would seem, that rule is completely ignored and membership is not denied to anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the 20th Century.

Any hope of joining the 21st, do you think?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)