Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

it's been 13 years, let JonBenet rest in peace

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM
  • 27 Replies

Grand Jury Wanted to Indict JonBenet Ramsey's Parents

A grand jury believed there was enough evidence in 1999 to indict John and Patsy Ramsey on charges relating to the still-unsolved killing of their beauty queen daughter JonBenet Ramsey, ABC News sources say.

Six-year-old JonBenet was found dead in the basement of her family's upscale Boulder, Colo., home Christmas Day 1996. Suspicion fell on her parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, but they insisted an intruder was to blame and they were never prosecuted.

In an interview with ABC News' Barbara Walters after her death, both of the girl's parents denied that they had killed her. They were eventually cleared by prosecutors.

After meeting for more than a year, a grand jury found sufficient evidence to indict the couple on charges of child abuse resulting in death, as first reported Sunday by the Boulder Daily Camera newspaper and confirmed by two separate sources by ABC News.

"This grand jury, in effect, came up with a compromise finding, 'No, it's not murder,' but, 'Yes, we think they were responsible' for the death based on abuse," ABC News legal analyst Dan Abrams said.

But District Attorney Alex Hunter refused to sign off on the grand jury's decision, saying there was too little proof.

"I and my prosecution task force believe we do not have sufficient evidence to warrant the filing of charges against anyone who has been investigated at this time," Hunter said then.

Hunter believed a conviction would be impossible. Abrams said that he agrees with the decision.

"I've seen the majority of the case files and I think Alex Hunter made the right call," he said. "I think there simply was not enough evidence to move forward."

Patsy Ramsey died in 2006 after a battle with ovarian cancer. John Ramsey remarried. His attorney told ABC News that Hunter is "a hero who wisely avoided a miscarriage of justice."

The case is still officially open but, as in 1996, investigators seem no closer to solving the crime this year, when JonBenet would have turned 23.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Read this article this morning and thought, damn leave these people alone!  How could a grand jury vote to indict them yet the DA declines charges?  Because these parents were tried in the court of public opinion and the state had to convene a grand jury knowing full well they'd not charge them whatever the outcome.  Just a few years ago, Pasty Ramsey was officially cleared of anything to do with her daughters death.  Let the child and mother rest in peace.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this
There were so many mistakes during the investigation. It'll never be solved.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I'll always suspect her parents. Must be nice to have that kind of money.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I saw this on the news this morning.

I've always felt her parents had something to do with her death.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Why

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Why

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Oh goodness. Several reasons.  Quite honestly, I have not thought of this case in years.  I followed it all those years ago and never had much doubt that her parents were somehow involved. As to the particulars, I honestly don't recall every thing.  I could, if I looked back but meh, at this point, this case will never be solved.  

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah... and 'accidentally' move to a state without an extradition deal with Colorado.

Convenient.

Quoting autodidact:

I'll always suspect her parents. Must be nice to have that kind of money.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM

even if they had nothing to do with her death, what they did do to that kid ought to be illegal. 

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I've read several books about this case it is HIGHLY unlikely that the parents had anything to do with the death of their daughter. It's sad people are still trying to demonize them.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Me, too.

Especially the mother. My preferred fictional answer was that Jon-Benet wouldn't participate in the pageants anymore, and her mom tied her up in her insane fury to 'teach' her something, and she died. 

The whole rest of it was ridiculous attempts to fling any hint of guilt in any direction possible, including onto her older brother (who wasn't even in the city at the time)...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)