Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

WARNING! please read for your child's safety!

Posted by   + Show Post
The FDA has advised against using baby oragel products :
snopes.com/medical/drugs/orajel.asp
Please share, it may save a child's life!

I know this is "old" but many parents still don't know! can someone make it clicky?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Geeeze, why all the hate? All she did was post a link to a Snopes article saying that doctors are advising against a product. Did I miss something? OP, we don't use Orajel, but thanks for the info. I'll use it in response to the question of why not instead of telling people I just didn't feel right about the tendency to ovvermedicate babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM

For teething?

Clove and garlic oil are usually used for infection control... peppermint oil (and it's neighbour, wintergreen oil) are used as topical analgesics, because they numb on contact.

Quoting destiny2nv:

you could probably use clove oil, or garlic oil too, do you know if those are safe for infants ? I'm curious . . .

Quoting LindaClement:

Little Known Fact:

• so can peppermint oil

destiny2nv
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I researched it after asking you, and you can make a teething paste, 2 parts olive oil, 1 part clove oil, safe for infants

Quoting LindaClement:

For teething?

Clove and garlic oil are usually used for infection control... peppermint oil (and it's neighbour, wintergreen oil) are used as topical analgesics, because they numb on contact.

Quoting destiny2nv:

you could probably use clove oil, or garlic oil too, do you know if those are safe for infants ? I'm curious . . .

Quoting LindaClement:

Little Known Fact:

• so can peppermint oil

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Quoting Autumn19:

then why do they sell it?

There are a lot of dangerous things for sale.

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Thank you for this comment. Other mom's that have oral sensory issues and asthma will appreciate it. It's a great warning. One time I was in questions and answers. Mom posted about her kid having a maple syrup smell. There is a maple syrup disease that in the worst form can cause BRAIN DAMAGE! I hit the abuse button for the GOOD Cafe Mom can do in informing other parents of potential problems.I wanted the folks at Cafe Mom to see how that question helped that mom. This was the OP's intent and YOUR comment seals the deal. I hope other ladies read this and use it for future reference to help others. Oral sensory issues or asthma is NOT funny. Great comment and Great post on educating moms. 

Quoting Thelmama:

Yes...I don't mind you saying something about it.  My son has oral sensory issues. I did not know undertstand what the orajel was triggering when he was teething. To say it caused him problems is putting it lightly. He screamed so hard he turned purple and it DID trigger breathing problems. I made no connection then, because there were no warnings. He had asthma though. I could not use that lavender baby soap and lotion with him either as it caused him to have an asthma attack. When we first started using it, there was no warning label. Later on they put a label on it and said it could trigger breathing problems with kids that had asthma. Some bottles had the warning some did not.  I wish I had known that it could trigger asthma attacks in some kids with asthma. It would have saved me at least one hospitilization, because it started with the trigger got worse and worse.  So I don't see a harm in you telling what you read. It could possibly help someone.

Quoting LAHnTAH0812:

my kids never liked frozen things. the only thing that helped my littlest was tylenol, which like anything comes with it's own possible side effects and risks, however i felt it was the best choice for us. some people will feel that oragel is the best choice for them and that the benefits outweigh the risks. that's their right. i simply wanted to spread knowledge so that we can all make informed choices. to me, that is helpful. apparently to some it is offensive :/.

Quoting Thelmama:

I tried it with my kids and they hated it. They screamed worse than with teething pain if I used it.  I didn't know it was "dangerous" though. We used frozen wash clothes for them to suck. They loved that.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Aww thank you. That just blessed my heart and made it smile.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Thank you for this comment. Other mom's that have oral sensory issues and asthma will appreciate it. It's a great warning. One time I was in questions and answers. Mom posted about her kid having a maple syrup smell. There is a maple syrup disease that in the worst form can cause BRAIN DAMAGE! I hit the abuse button for the GOOD Cafe Mom can do in informing other parents of potential problems.I wanted the folks at Cafe Mom to see how that question helped that mom. This was the OP's intent and YOUR comment seals the deal. I hope other ladies read this and use it for future reference to help others. Oral sensory issues or asthma is NOT funny. Great comment and Great post on educating moms. 

Quoting Thelmama:

Yes...I don't mind you saying something about it.  My son has oral sensory issues. I did not know undertstand what the orajel was triggering when he was teething. To say it caused him problems is putting it lightly. He screamed so hard he turned purple and it DID trigger breathing problems. I made no connection then, because there were no warnings. He had asthma though. I could not use that lavender baby soap and lotion with him either as it caused him to have an asthma attack. When we first started using it, there was no warning label. Later on they put a label on it and said it could trigger breathing problems with kids that had asthma. Some bottles had the warning some did not.  I wish I had known that it could trigger asthma attacks in some kids with asthma. It would have saved me at least one hospitilization, because it started with the trigger got worse and worse.  So I don't see a harm in you telling what you read. It could possibly help someone.

Quoting LAHnTAH0812:

my kids never liked frozen things. the only thing that helped my littlest was tylenol, which like anything comes with it's own possible side effects and risks, however i felt it was the best choice for us. some people will feel that oragel is the best choice for them and that the benefits outweigh the risks. that's their right. i simply wanted to spread knowledge so that we can all make informed choices. to me, that is helpful. apparently to some it is offensive :/.

Quoting Thelmama:

I tried it with my kids and they hated it. They screamed worse than with teething pain if I used it.  I didn't know it was "dangerous" though. We used frozen wash clothes for them to suck. They loved that.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM

never used it...

Aamy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Then OP do not give your kids ANYTHING. No meds what so ever. All meds have a side effect, usually RARE. This is why hysterics and mass hysteria happens. Someone doesn't know how to read and freaks out and starts spreading rumors. I was sent a Email about certain meds that where recalled, and i had given my DD some, so i called the manufacture, the Email was over 8yrs old. The meds where fine. If you go by everything on Snopes, you will have to live in a sterile bubble and not eat or drink. Then again im sure people will say the bubble is bad for you as well. 

Aamy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM

THis !!!! 

Quoting Aslen:

because you ARE fearmongering. even the FDA said RARE. Maybe you should too. POsting this isn't getting people pissed at you.Your overdramatic bullshit is

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I disagree. She posted something to inform parents. One parent on here gave an example of what happened to her. My son has hypotonia and a deformed throat and asthma. I was lucky. He didn't cut teeth until after 1. Then it was 4 front teeth at once. Then it was all 4 molars in the back. Because of his hypotonia, throat not formed right and asthma IF he had had oral gel at 4 months old I believe there would of been servere consquences. I don't believe she is fear mongering. I believe she is educating parents. Big difference. While it may be rare, I am sure it could of affected my son if he had been younger. Another mom came on and told the story of how it happened to her. It may be rare but if it happens to YOUR child it is 100%. This post falls under the education catagory -- especially for parents with asthmatic kids or kids with medical. Personally I would hop off the OP's ass and file it in the back of your brain. You NEVER know who you will run into in your life. Meet a mom with sensory issues, a mom with a kid that has a throat not formed right and hypotonia, a mom with a baby with severe asthma that anything triggers it. Take this info and share it with the mom. Fear mongering wasn't her intention, education was.

Quoting Aamy:

THis !!!! 

Quoting Aslen:

because you ARE fearmongering. even the FDA said RARE. Maybe you should too. POsting this isn't getting people pissed at you.Your overdramatic bullshit is

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)