Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think is an acceptable amount?

I have a 1st grader and she gets one math worksheet and 20 minutes of reading nightly, plus spelling tests weekly.  I actually don't think it is enough, she whizzes through the math so quick.  She always reads anyway.  She gets the spelling words right after a quick review and practice test.  I bought her some math workbooks that are more challenging, and I have her do a page or two of that.

Is it because she is so young that she doesn't seem really challenged by the assigned work? (Meaning they wouldn't give her much.)

Or am I cursing myself and she will be overwhelmed in the future?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I don't believe in homework.  If they've got your kids locked up for as many hours as they do, that should be enough time to get some smarts into 'em. 

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Homework at this stage is not designed to challenge the child, and that's fine.  It's designed to build the habit of doing homework, which for some kids is very hard to develop.  Depends on the school system, but by my son's fifth and sixth grade years he had an hour or more of homework, four days a week. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the kid, depends on the school.

Talk to the teacher.

nurbabe82
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like ds who is also in first grade. A math or some kind of reading worksheet 3 nights a week. Reading every night and spelling every night. He does the worksheets pretty fast but he isn't much for the spelling or reading so that takes a little time.

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM

During the years my kids went to public school,  I hated when my kids got homework. The bus picked them up at 7:00 and dropped them off at 4:45. By the time they got home, we ate, played a while, took showers and went to bed. I figured that if the teachers can't get them to understand a subject in 7 hours then they weren't doing their job.  All mine were homeschooled about half of their school career. (Don't get on my case. My grown kids are quite successful adults.)

KKmommy3
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Let her enjoy the short amount of time she has to be a kid, and let her play after school.  Pretty soon she will have plenty of homework, maybe even too much. 

skateboardingtoddler girlboy on a swing
I love my beautiful girls, and my sweet little boy. I am lucky to be a mom!

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My understanding that home work was 10 minutes per grade. 1st grade-10 minutes; 20 minutes=2nd grade; 30 min-3rd grade, etc........(reading was extra and did not count towards 'homework time")

Of course- a lot of this depends on the teacher too.

When my children were younger and I found they had it easy- i would supplement like you are doing with the extra at-home books- to either reinforce or pre-learn for the next work.

As they have gotten older- they seem to have well-enough homework and if not, they know to study and review their notes.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I do let her enjoy being a kid.  I'm talking about 30 minutes of homework a day out of 4 hours 'til bedtime.

Quoting KKmommy3:

Let her enjoy the short amount of time she has to be a kid, and let her play after school.  Pretty soon she will have plenty of homework, maybe even too much. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I just don't want her bored.  I was so bored in elementary school I refused to do the class work because it was too simple.  (I know you home school but don't tell me to do so...I am not inclined to do so, plus I gotta work.)

I'm not super upset or anything, I just think if my kid shows a talent for math, I want her to learn and be challenged, not just stare at a wall in class like I did.  If the work she brings home is indicitive of what she is doing in class, I definitely think she is not being challenged.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't believe in homework.  If they've got your kids locked up for as many hours as they do, that should be enough time to get some smarts into 'em. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Wow, that is a long school day.  My girl goes from 8:30-2:50.  With bus ride she is gone from 7:50-3:30.  I gues if she was getting home at almost 5, I would be singing a different tune.  That IS a long day.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

During the years my kids went to public school,  I hated when my kids got homework. The bus picked them up at 7:00 and dropped them off at 4:45. By the time they got home, we ate, played a while, took showers and went to bed. I figured that if the teachers can't get them to understand a subject in 7 hours then they weren't doing their job.  All mine were homeschooled about half of their school career. (Don't get on my case. My grown kids are quite successful adults.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured