Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think is an acceptable amount?

I have a 1st grader and she gets one math worksheet and 20 minutes of reading nightly, plus spelling tests weekly.  I actually don't think it is enough, she whizzes through the math so quick.  She always reads anyway.  She gets the spelling words right after a quick review and practice test.  I bought her some math workbooks that are more challenging, and I have her do a page or two of that.

Is it because she is so young that she doesn't seem really challenged by the assigned work? (Meaning they wouldn't give her much.)

Or am I cursing myself and she will be overwhelmed in the future?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Replies (41-46):
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Just wait...

However if her grades are good and tests then you should not be concerned. If she needs more of a challenge perhaps she is not in the correct grade.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I suppose I'm jumping the gun.  She's in first grade, after all!  lol

She has shown a talent for math and science.  If she continues to I guess I will see if she qualifies for the math/science magnet school, luckily they have one close to me.  It is competitive to get in, so we will see.

I don't think they separate into different levels in math until 2nd or 3rd.  I'll just give her extra if she wants it and chill out, that seems to be the prevalent advice!

She performs well but I don't think above grade level except for math and science.  Also, she turned 6 just a couple weeks after she started K, so she is old for her grade.  Some of her classmates are almost a year younger than her.  I didn't think it was a good idea to start her at 4, though, she was definitely not emotionally ready.  

Quoting stormcris:

Just wait...

However if her grades are good and tests then you should not be concerned. If she needs more of a challenge perhaps she is not in the correct grade.

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM

The prevailing conventional thinking is 15 minutes of homework per grade, so at 1st grade...15 minutes of homework.  My kid was getting 30-45min of homework a night in 1st grade, which in my opinion was too much.

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Sigh. This is my first grader's HW for the week (keeping in mind he's ADHD and has an IEP, but his homework is never modified...

M-math page 110 (20 questions), read 20 mins
T- one spelling contract activity (choose to make one activity from the contract list...this week he wrote all his words 3x in pen), read 20 minutes, complete antiques roadshow sheet (weekly assignment to bring in an object older than himself with at least 4 full sentences explaining it and it's significance)
W- math page 111 (15 questions), read 20 minutes
Th- write 3 sentences about ground hogs, read 20 minutes, 100 Days of School project due tomorrow (he is collecting 100 different herb/spice labels for the project, they have had less than 2 weeks to complete it)

I teach middle school English and give much less than this...I also try to end class a few minutes early each day to have HW time so I can help out and answer questions.

It takes me more than an hour each night to get through homework with DS1. His meds are wearing off by the time dinner is done so we so homework in chaos, lol. I think his HW is too much and don't know why he never gets to work on it in class, not even in his curriculum assistance period.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
3mom627
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I say, enjoy it while it lasts. If she whizzes through it, then she understands it and is doing well.

3MOM627

have a nice day

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I really think an hour is too much for first grade.  I usually don't pay too much attention to the reading (20 mins a night) because she reads nightly anyway before bed.  She gets 5-10 math questions, they are pretty easy for her, though.  I think 20-30 minutes plus reading is good for first grade.  Like I said I just supplement with a workbook.  As long as she likes it I'm going to have her do it.

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Sigh. This is my first grader's HW for the week (keeping in mind he's ADHD and has an IEP, but his homework is never modified...

M-math page 110 (20 questions), read 20 mins
T- one spelling contract activity (choose to make one activity from the contract list...this week he wrote all his words 3x in pen), read 20 minutes, complete antiques roadshow sheet (weekly assignment to bring in an object older than himself with at least 4 full sentences explaining it and it's significance)
W- math page 111 (15 questions), read 20 minutes
Th- write 3 sentences about ground hogs, read 20 minutes, 100 Days of School project due tomorrow (he is collecting 100 different herb/spice labels for the project, they have had less than 2 weeks to complete it)

I teach middle school English and give much less than this...I also try to end class a few minutes early each day to have HW time so I can help out and answer questions.

It takes me more than an hour each night to get through homework with DS1. His meds are wearing off by the time dinner is done so we so homework in chaos, lol. I think his HW is too much and don't know why he never gets to work on it in class, not even in his curriculum assistance period.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN