Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A 5th grader at London, OH elementary hanged herself Saturday

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

11-year-old London girl commits suicide

The Columbus Dispatch Monday January 28, 2013 3:34 PM

Counselors and a crisis team are in London Elementary School today to help students and employees deal with the news that an 11-year-old student killed herself at home over the weekend.

London Police Chief David Wiseman said Hailey Petee, who was in the fifth grade, hanged herself in her bedroom overnight Saturday. Police were called to the family’s London home on Walnut Street at 12:17 a.m. Sunday.

Wiseman, who is part of the county’s suicide-prevention coalition, said it’s been a difficult weekend for everyone involved.

London Schools Superintendant Thomas Ben said counselors will stay on hand as long as necessary.

“It’s a terribly sad day,” he said.

Hailey’s parents, Melinda Groce and David Petee, said this afternoon that their daughter has been teased and bullied by neighborhood kids for months. They are putting out a call to action for it to stop.

Hailey, her dad said, has always worn glasses, the lenses so thick they distorted the look of her eyes. And she’s always been loud, outspoken, hyper — she took medication for her attention-deficit disorder — and other kids teased her because of it.

“She didn’t want people to make fun of her,” Petee said. “She just wanted to be like everybody else.”

Wiseman said today that in October, the police department charged a London woman who lives in the neighborhood and has a young daughter about Hailey’s age with telephone harassment and disorderly conduct in connection with causing Hailey and the Petee family some trouble. The disorderly conduct charge has been dropped, but the other charge is pending in Madison County Municipal Court.

But Wiseman cautioned that the police department will continue to investigate Hailey’s suicide and that no connection has yet been made.

For youth between the ages of 10 and 24, suicide is the third-leading cause of death, resulting in about 4,600 deaths per year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Last year in Franklin County, Coroner Jan Gorniak sounded the alarm when she saw what she said was a disturbing trend: her office investigated nine suicides where the person was under the age of 18. That’s more than the previous four years combined.

Gorniak said in an interview with The Dispatch in December that she would like to see school districts do a better job of identifying youth at risk for suicide and getting them help.

“There are all these counselors at the schools after this happens,” she said. “But where were they before?”

Anyone experiencing suicidal thoughts can contact a 24-hour suicide-prevention hot line at 614-221-5445.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandaday
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM
How tragic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM

disgusting

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Horrible.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM
3 moms liked this

How are the schools supposed to I'd the kids at risk when their parents can't... It doesn't say anything about the parents seeking counseling for her, but the school is supposed to?

amberklo
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM
I live 30mims away from this.How come no one spoke out?This makes me so angry.
MichelleJ1000
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
There are warning signs that may have been missed but they were there. I think schools should integrate education about bullying in their system.

Quoting terpmama:

How are the schools supposed to I'd the kids at risk when their parents can't... It doesn't say anything about the parents seeking counseling for her, but the school is supposed to?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this
They likely told her to quit making herself into such an attractive target for the bullies. That is what help usually consists of when the bullies are girls
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this
11 years old. What a truly horrible story. Bullying disgusts me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:52 AM
3 moms liked this

FYI, when children (versus teens) kill themselves it is usually by choking, hanging, or strangling.  This is awful.  Its amazing to me that an adult was involved in the bullying as well.  That's simply pathetic.  There are many signs of a suicidal youth or adult, but I think that no one wants to see these signs in an 11yo.  Its hard to imagine an 11yo is going to take their own life.  But they do.  It is more rare, and most of the literature is about teens, so it also more difficult to detect, for professionals, teachers, & definitely parents.

Sometimes a teacher may be the first one to see a sign.  If a child has a writing or art assignment & the student submits an assignment obssessed with death, morbid images or themes, etc, this should catch the teacher's attention.  This is odften going to be a cry for help.  Maybe the child tells the parents that they have lots of friends, but is lying, and the teachers note that the student is always alone or bullied at recess.  The parents need to be contacted about this.

Ultimately, parents, teachers, & mental health professionals all have to take a team approach to help these children & possibly save them.  It only takes one individual to note the problem & save a life.  I'm absolutely not blaming the school, the teachers, etc.  I'm just saying that we are all on the same team & any one of us can be a hero in a child's life. 

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Most do... All that does is drive it further underground and off school property. 

Quoting MichelleJ1000:

There are warning signs that may have been missed but they were there. I think schools should integrate education about bullying in their system.

Quoting terpmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)