Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A 5th grader at London, OH elementary hanged herself Saturday

11-year-old London girl commits suicide

The Columbus Dispatch Monday January 28, 2013 3:34 PM

Counselors and a crisis team are in London Elementary School today to help students and employees deal with the news that an 11-year-old student killed herself at home over the weekend.

London Police Chief David Wiseman said Hailey Petee, who was in the fifth grade, hanged herself in her bedroom overnight Saturday. Police were called to the family’s London home on Walnut Street at 12:17 a.m. Sunday.

Wiseman, who is part of the county’s suicide-prevention coalition, said it’s been a difficult weekend for everyone involved.

London Schools Superintendant Thomas Ben said counselors will stay on hand as long as necessary.

“It’s a terribly sad day,” he said.

Hailey’s parents, Melinda Groce and David Petee, said this afternoon that their daughter has been teased and bullied by neighborhood kids for months. They are putting out a call to action for it to stop.

Hailey, her dad said, has always worn glasses, the lenses so thick they distorted the look of her eyes. And she’s always been loud, outspoken, hyper — she took medication for her attention-deficit disorder — and other kids teased her because of it.

“She didn’t want people to make fun of her,” Petee said. “She just wanted to be like everybody else.”

Wiseman said today that in October, the police department charged a London woman who lives in the neighborhood and has a young daughter about Hailey’s age with telephone harassment and disorderly conduct in connection with causing Hailey and the Petee family some trouble. The disorderly conduct charge has been dropped, but the other charge is pending in Madison County Municipal Court.

But Wiseman cautioned that the police department will continue to investigate Hailey’s suicide and that no connection has yet been made.

For youth between the ages of 10 and 24, suicide is the third-leading cause of death, resulting in about 4,600 deaths per year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Last year in Franklin County, Coroner Jan Gorniak sounded the alarm when she saw what she said was a disturbing trend: her office investigated nine suicides where the person was under the age of 18. That’s more than the previous four years combined.

Gorniak said in an interview with The Dispatch in December that she would like to see school districts do a better job of identifying youth at risk for suicide and getting them help.

“There are all these counselors at the schools after this happens,” she said. “But where were they before?”

Anyone experiencing suicidal thoughts can contact a 24-hour suicide-prevention hot line at 614-221-5445.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Replies (21-29):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Quoting Hatred4none:

Bullying is a result of bad parenting or bad influence in a child's life, which results in that child utilizing their life skills by bullying someone else. For schools, if its a trend they are seeing then they need to become more proactive. Create an environment that allows different groups of children (age, background, style) work together and help each other. For example in community service; soup kitchens, restore habitat for humanity, planting trees, etc. make it mandatory. Right now they are in an environment where the main focus is supposed to be their own studies, not a very give and take but more of an individualistic environment. They could work it in so its a quarterly thing to keep a continuity all year long. 

I appreciate your feedback, but I can't agree with the part in red

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Quoting Arroree:

Sadly there is a large number of parents who think kids need to just "stop being a pansy" and toughen up and "take it like a man" etc.  My own mother who thought she was more open minded than most told me as a kid that i needed to "stop having a self pity trip and get over it" when i had a mental breakdown over bullying. This sort of attitude is more common in parents of boys but also seen in parents of girls.

Then there's the attitude so many have that "it's not all bullying, some is just harmless teasing" and i hate that i have to actually point out that while something may seem like harmless teasing to you as an adult, to a child/teen it can feel like the end of the world and help to destroy them mentally. Blowing off a child/teens feelings because you as an adult don't find it that big of a deal is destructive to their mental state.

Quoting terpmama:

How are the schools supposed to I'd the kids at risk when their parents can't... It doesn't say anything about the parents seeking counseling for her, but the school is supposed to?

This. Sometimes the parents don't take it seriously and tell the kids to just toughen up and deal with it because they went through it and survived. When my oldest son was being bullied, you better believe I took it seriously. I went through it as a kid and I know how damaging it can be.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

Hislovebug
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Alot of women on cm say they hate bullying but many of them don't raise their kids right and teach them about what can happen to people who get bullied. So sad. This needs to stop. Parents we have to teach our kids about how bad bullying is!

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Quoting Hislovebug:

Alot of women on cm say they hate bullying but many of them don't raise their kids right and teach them about what can happen to people who get bullied. So sad. This needs to stop. Parents we have to teach our kids about how bad bullying is!

get your jabs in now

Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM

This just breaks my heart. :-(

Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM

If I have done one thing right as a parent, it has been to often look to 'the golden rule' when talking with them. Take the short and simple time to turn thing around and ask 'how would you feel if...?" The same or similar thing happened to you? 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

what a tragic story - I'm disgusted that adults were involved in the bullying there should be charges brought against them.

Hatred4none
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM

To each there own. But my observance of those who bullied me had no respect for women, or were just arrogant, or just plain ignorant. And most of these are what we learn from our parents and other people who are around us a lot, like daycare attendants, nannies, baby sitters, etc. I was bullied from kindergarten to grade 8. Only reason I survived is because my parents were very supportive, allowed me to even change my school, even though I found more bullies in the new school. After I wasted a year not studying and running from bullies. I realized its a big waste of time and just ignored them and left them behind. I think one other person tried to put me in my place in tenth grade but that was it. I focused on how to enjoy my life.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Hatred4none:

Bullying is a result of bad parenting or bad influence in a child's life, which results in that child utilizing their life skills by bullying someone else. For schools, if its a trend they are seeing then they need to become more proactive. Create an environment that allows different groups of children (age, background, style) work together and help each other. For example in community service; soup kitchens, restore habitat for humanity, planting trees, etc. make it mandatory. Right now they are in an environment where the main focus is supposed to be their own studies, not a very give and take but more of an individualistic environment. They could work it in so its a quarterly thing to keep a continuity all year long. 

I appreciate your feedback, but I can't agree with the part in red

Carol_H79
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM

So sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured