Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boy Scouts Consider Lifting Ban On Gay Leaders

Posted by   + Show Post

The discrimination needs to stop already. Why is someone's sexual orientation even a factor for anything anymore? 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/us/boy-scouts-consider-lifting-ban-on-gay-leaders.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&smid=fb-share

In a Quick Shift, Scouts Rethink a Ban on Gays

The Boy Scouts of America, with its traditions of youth in uniform and the character-building virtues of honor, has always looked back to an older, more structured image of America, when gay and lesbian people were invisible and silent. It was a view reaffirmed in Scout policy as recently as seven months ago. Openly gay scouts and scout leaders need not apply.

The announcement on Monday by Scouts officials that the ban on gays was in line for elimination was thus a thunderclap on two fronts, scouts and people close to the organization said. First, it removed from discussion the idea, voiced in July by senior national scout leaders, that the ban was in the best interests of scouts themselves.

Perhaps even more momentous was the acknowledgment that scouting itself had moved on, with a diversity of thought like the multicultural and sexually diverse buzz of modern America itself, that no longer could be confined or defined by a dictated policy from headquarters. Local chapters would be able to decide whether to admit gay scouts.

“The Boy Scouts would not, under any circumstances, dictate a position to units, members, or parents,” said a spokesman for the Boy Scouts of America, Deron Smith, in a statement. “This would mean there would no longer be any national policy regarding sexual orientation, and the chartered organizations that oversee and deliver Scouting would accept membership and select leaders consistent with each organization’s mission, principles, or religious beliefs.”

Scout officials gave no timeline for making a formal decision, or for putting the policy into effect, but a spokeswoman said in an e-mail that discussion was anticipated at next week’s national executive board meeting. Board meetings are private and closed to the public and the news media, she said.

In 2000, the Supreme Court affirmed the Boy Scouts’ right to refuse gay members.

Groups that had pushed for the change said that even if senior scout leaders had second thoughts about the policy, it would probably be too late.

“The Boy Scouts of America have heard from scouts, corporations and millions of Americans that discriminating against gay scouts and scout leaders is wrong,” said Herndon Graddick, the president of Glaad, an advocacy group for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. “Scouting is a valuable institution, and this change will only strengthen its core principles of fairness and respect.”

Mr. Smith, the Scouts spokesman, said that under the proposed policy, “the B.S.A. would not require any chartered organization to act in ways inconsistent with that organization’s mission, principles, or religious beliefs.” He said that members and parents would be able to choose a local unit that best met the needs of their families.

Critics and supporters alike said that abandoning national policy for local control could have unintended consequences.

Tony Perkins, the president of the Family Research Council, a conservative group, said in a statement: “If the board capitulates to the bullying of homosexual activists, the Boy Scouts’ legacy of producing great leaders will become yet another casualty of moral compromise. The Boy Scouts should stand firm.”

Zach Wahls, whose group has been working for more inclusive rules under the motto, “A scout is equal,” said he applauded the change.

“It’s a step in the right direction, and good to see that B.S.A. is softening its position,” he said. “But under the policy change, it will still be possible for some units to discriminate.”

The question of gay scouts and leaders has not been the only cloud on scouting’s horizon.

Revelations about sexual abuse by scout leaders, which have increasingly emerged in recent years, with some victims and parents saying the organization shielded predators, have tarnished the group’s reputation as being always protective of youth.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM

what is a stupid group? 

Quoting momto3infl:

that is a stupiod group.

Quoting autodidact:

such as? afraid they will also end their other form of discrimination, against atheists? 

Quoting momto3infl:

Our troop and others have gay leaders or other volunteers because it is not asked on any online forms or applications.  But my concern is after this change what other changes will happen esp to the program as a whole.

momto3infl
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

accepting of this change whatelse will they be accepting to change because someone doesnt like something within the criteria.  Law or Oath.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Okay...I'm a mom to a Brownie GS and a Wolf Cub Scout...and even I don't understand where you are coming from here.  I don't see the connection between doing away with a ridiculous policy and changing the way badges are earned.  How are the two even related?

Quoting momto3infl:

Because people have the power of change-say that anyone comes in gay or not but looks at different things with bsa and doesnt like and starts changing up the program of how cubs earn their rank-that is takes 2yrs to go from wolf to bear-each rank take 2yrs-then they start taking away different badges that they earn, then there is the scout law and promise what if they want to totally change that-that is pretty much what happened on many levels of gs-I dont want to see that happen in BSA.

Quoting mama_l:

As a mom of a cub scout (also married to an eagle scout) I am curious as to why saying anyone is allowed into scouts would change their badge system? I know nothing about girl scouts so I don't know what went on with them. I only made it a few years in and that was forever ago. LOL!

Quoting momto3infl:

That wont-because as I stated our troop already had and several others have in our area.  What I am concerned about is changing advancements and type of program the boys get.  GS was better program years ago before their change-it is the way they do the badges types of badges and taking 2yrs to advance once level I dont like with GS and I am hoping boys doesnt do that-in the cub level esp.

Quoting mama_l:

What possible changes, by allowing homosexuals into the scouts, would concern you?

Quoting momto3infl:

Our troop and others have gay leaders or other volunteers because it is not asked on any online forms or applications.  But my concern is after this change what other changes will happen esp to the program as a whole.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

She said athiests, that's why I put up my Sheldon meme.

Quoting autodidact:

what is a stupid group? 

Quoting momto3infl:

that is a stupiod group.

Quoting autodidact:

such as? afraid they will also end their other form of discrimination, against atheists? 

Quoting momto3infl:

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM

It will be okay.

Quoting momto3infl:

accepting of this change whatelse will they be accepting to change because someone doesnt like something within the criteria.  Law or Oath.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Okay...I'm a mom to a Brownie GS and a Wolf Cub Scout...and even I don't understand where you are coming from here.  I don't see the connection between doing away with a ridiculous policy and changing the way badges are earned.  How are the two even related?

Quoting momto3infl:

Because people have the power of change-say that anyone comes in gay or not but looks at different things with bsa and doesnt like and starts changing up the program of how cubs earn their rank-that is takes 2yrs to go from wolf to bear-each rank take 2yrs-then they start taking away different badges that they earn, then there is the scout law and promise what if they want to totally change that-that is pretty much what happened on many levels of gs-I dont want to see that happen in BSA.

Quoting mama_l:

As a mom of a cub scout (also married to an eagle scout) I am curious as to why saying anyone is allowed into scouts would change their badge system? I know nothing about girl scouts so I don't know what went on with them. I only made it a few years in and that was forever ago. LOL!

Quoting momto3infl:

That wont-because as I stated our troop already had and several others have in our area.  What I am concerned about is changing advancements and type of program the boys get.  GS was better program years ago before their change-it is the way they do the badges types of badges and taking 2yrs to advance once level I dont like with GS and I am hoping boys doesnt do that-in the cub level esp.

Quoting mama_l:

What possible changes, by allowing homosexuals into the scouts, would concern you?

Quoting momto3infl:

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh snap. I think the post is about to get hijacked...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM

yeah that is why my 14yr dd is venturing crew BSA due to  how much our local gs changed.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It will be okay.

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting mama_l:

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting mama_l:

Quoting momto3infl:

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, DO elaborate. :)

Quoting momto3infl:

atheist.  My opinion on them was well before i knew anything of boyscouts.

Quoting Euphoric:

What's a stupid group?

Quoting momto3infl:

that is a stupiod group.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting momto3infl:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting stringtheory:

Oh snap. I think the post is about to get hijacked...

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

They Journey books were an adjustment for everyone.  They are actually working out quite well and seem more in line with the GSA's mission of developing future leaders.  It's a shame your daughter didn't decide to give it a chance, but I'm glad she found something that is a better fit.

I repeat.  It's going to be okay.  I live in a state that overwhelmingly approved gay marriage in November, and you know what?  The next morning the sun still rose in the east and the seas didn't turn to blood.  It was okay.  And BSA changing this policy will be okay too.  It will actually be a good thing.

Quoting momto3infl:

yeah that is why my 14yr dd is venturing crew BSA due to  how much our local gs changed.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It will be okay.

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting mama_l:

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting mama_l:

Quoting momto3infl:

momto3infl
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Not a gay issue with me-we already have gay boys and leaders.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

They Journey books were an adjustment for everyone.  They are actually working out quite well and seem more in line with the GSA's mission of developing future leaders.  It's a shame your daughter didn't decide to give it a chance, but I'm glad she found something that is a better fit.

I repeat.  It's going to be okay.  I live in a state that overwhelmingly approved gay marriage in November, and you know what?  The next morning the sun still rose in the east and the seas didn't turn to blood.  It was okay.  And BSA changing this policy will be okay too.  It will actually be a good thing.

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It will be okay.

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting mama_l:

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting mama_l:

Quoting momto3infl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured