Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Winter attire for kids spin off from another post

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 88 Replies

So if you live in a place it is bitterly cold in the winter usually in the negative digits.  Then it gets up to be 45deg F. 

My question is how do you then dress your kids for outside?  For us once it reaches 45 deg F that is pretty warm. We have the kids wear a jacket but don't demand hats or mittens unless extremely windy.  

I ask because I was called a bad mom because I don't think that at 45 deg is still really cold and kids should not be without hats at that temp.  I think it is relative as to where you live as to what is considered extremely cold or warm temps. 

By 50 deg Middle Schoolers and High Schoolers are usually in shorts and just sweatshirts for school.  Especially when we are used to temps most of the winter in temps of negative digits.  With windchills this past week we were around negative 40 deg F.  So at 45 deg sunny and no wind that is really warm to us.

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I totally see where you are coming from.  When we lived in Alaska, it would go from -30 to mid 40s and 50s in a relatively short period of time.  We were in shorts and T-shirts and wishing we had air conditioning at 50, it felt that hot to us.  I have a picture of us with some friends on 4-wheelers, and we're all dressed in shorts and T-shirts, and there is still snow on the ground behind us.  It felt hot to us.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

A lot of moms like to play the bad mother card when someone doesn't do the same thing they do. I ignore the momnazis.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Where do you live that 45 is warm? LOL!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I agree that it depends on where you live...

When we lived in Cali the first winter we lived there we went to the beach in December (it was 60* outside) and people thought we were crazy. But that next winter we had adjusted so it was cold for us...

Then we moved to TX... Where 100* in the summer is cool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I think your body adjusts to where you live. My friend in Alaska has her air conditioning on when its 60* outside... LOL! That is crazy to me but I live in TX...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Whocalled 'you' a bad mom? In that other thread a person said she negatively judged moms who don't put socks, coats and hats on babies in cold weather. Did I miss where she directed it toward you specifically?

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

It's supposed to be 50 degrees here tomorrow! We're so excited. After over week of temperatures in the teens without the wind chills...50 degrees is going to feel like summer.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM

our temperatures are pretty mild.  My son wears a thick/lined sweatshirt most days and will put the hood up when he is waiting for school to start.  When it's extra cold (low 30s), he will put his winter jacket on top of his sweatshirt.  

He is old enough to tell me if he is warm or not.  

As for being called a bad mom.  I don't think that would even registered with me as those that would call me that are irrelevant to my life.  

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I still sent my son to school with his winter coat (which includes a hood), hat and mittens yesterday when it was going to be about 45.  But, I know he's not necessarily going to wear all of that out to the playground.  I don't really care as long as it all comes home with him.  If he gets cold enough, he'll choose to wear it himself. 

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM

We live close to the Canadian border ~ my kids are comfortable in a sweatshirt and jeans, wool socks and boots at 45. If they are playing outside and not just going from house to car, then yes ~ jackets, hats, and gloves required.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN