Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Winter attire for kids spin off from another post

Posted by   + Show Post

So if you live in a place it is bitterly cold in the winter usually in the negative digits.  Then it gets up to be 45deg F. 

My question is how do you then dress your kids for outside?  For us once it reaches 45 deg F that is pretty warm. We have the kids wear a jacket but don't demand hats or mittens unless extremely windy.  

I ask because I was called a bad mom because I don't think that at 45 deg is still really cold and kids should not be without hats at that temp.  I think it is relative as to where you live as to what is considered extremely cold or warm temps. 

By 50 deg Middle Schoolers and High Schoolers are usually in shorts and just sweatshirts for school.  Especially when we are used to temps most of the winter in temps of negative digits.  With windchills this past week we were around negative 40 deg F.  So at 45 deg sunny and no wind that is really warm to us.

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (81-88):
IWantOneMorePlz
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I'm close to the Canadian border, too.  About 60 miles from Montreal.

Quoting NutHouseMomma:

We live close to the Canadian border ~ my kids are comfortable in a sweatshirt and jeans, wool socks and boots at 45. If they are playing outside and not just going from house to car, then yes ~ jackets, hats, and gloves required.

Kokoscold
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I'm from Alaska too and 45 is nice

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I totally see where you are coming from.  When we lived in Alaska, it would go from -30 to mid 40s and 50s in a relatively short period of time.  We were in shorts and T-shirts and wishing we had air conditioning at 50, it felt that hot to us.  I have a picture of us with some friends on 4-wheelers, and we're all dressed in shorts and T-shirts, and there is still snow on the ground behind us.  It felt hot to us.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I'm in the midwest. This is our 5 day forcast.

Tonight Jan 29

Heavy T-Storms / Wind

61°FObserved High3:05 pm

55°F

Heavy T-Storms / Wind

Wed Jan 30

AM Showers / Wind

55°

19°

AM Showers / Wind

Thu Jan 31

PM Snow Showers

28°

7°

PM Snow Showers

Fri Feb 1

Mostly Sunny

21°

20°

Mostly Sunny

Sat Feb 2

Cloudy

34°

26°

Cloudy

Wind:
WSW at 8 mph

Today it was 60. If it is 45 degrees my kids do not have to wear a hat and I will send a jacket in case they want to switch from their coat to a jacket.

IWantOneMorePlz
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Right now, we are having a "heat wave".  It's 30 outside.  Last week it was below zero for 3 days.

45 degrees out, my kids wear a jacket, I don't require them to wear gloves or hats, though.  

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

OK I get the source of at least my misunderstanding.  Shoes and a hat are not "winter clothing" around here.  Here winter clothing is hat, scarf, boots, mittens, snow pants and warm winter jacket.  If we aren't in boots we are likely not wearing hats except for style reasons.  I don't consider shoes "winter" clothing.  I would of course not have a kid outside in flip flops at 45 degrees.

Quoting mikiemom:

And I'm clarifying this woman's comments. She would not put hats and shoes on her children in 45 Degree weather, I would judge her for that.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I'm asking you specifically for this post what constitutes "winter clothing".  While you may want to rehash another post I'm sticking to the replies in this post.  

Quoting mikiemom:

what I said was that I judge mothers who take their children out in cold weather without proper attire, such as hats and shoes and coats. This OP stated she would not put a hat or shoes on her child in 45degree weather because it gets below zero in her area. I told her that I would judge her for that. I also would judge her for a number of her other life choices. She pretty much hit my jackpot of things that bug me about certain parents. I've mentioned them. Poor people just continuing to pop out babies they expect someone else to support, smoking around her kids were others.

Quoting katy_kay08:

hats and shoes equals "winter clothing"? 

Quoting mikiemom:

hat and shoes.

Quoting katy_kay08:

what do you consider "winter clothing"?  

Quoting mikiemom:

children's body temperatures do not regulate like an adults. It is absolutely innapropriate to have your kids outside without winter clothing in temperatures that low.

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I'm in Austin, TX and we freeze down here once it goes below say 65 degrees.  LOL

But, yes, I say that my child should be layered but only insist that she wear a hat/mittens if it's bitterly cold (under 40 for us) and if it's really windy.  She wore mittens/hat today because it was a steady wind of 25MPH with gusts in the 40's.  And it was 45 degrees without the wind chill. COLD for down here. 

tambrathegreat
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Where we live, if it's 45 deg. then we are all bundled up, kids included.  Also, it's really not hot here until it reaches 100 deg or over. 

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM

71 here today 29 tomorrow. I can't figure it out...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured