Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Father of Newtown victim heckled......

Posted by   + Show Post

WTF is wrong with people? I don't give two shits what your stance is on gun control. You DO NOT heckle a grieving father. Common decency apparently isn't so common anymore.

Father of Newtown Victim Interrupted by Shouts of "Second Amendment!"

By

|

Posted Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013, at 10:00 AM ET

MYSLATE
Save this story.
Follow all Blog articles.
Follow the The Slatest blog.
Follow stories by Josh Voorhees.
MySlate is a new tool that lets you track your favorite parts of Slate. You can follow authors and sections, track comment threads you're interested in, and more.

Thousands of people participate in the March on Washington for Gun Control on Jan. 26, 2013 in Washington, D.C.

Photo by Yuri Gripas/AFP/Getty Images

Connecticut state lawmakers held a public hearing in Hartford yesterday to discuss gun control and safety in the wake of last month's tragic elementary school shooting in Newtown that killed 20 students and six staff members. Some 1,500-odd members of the public turned up to be heard at the task force meeting, and by most accounts things stayed relatively civil as those on both sides of the issue made their case. Then this happened according to the Connecticut Post:

"The Second Amendment!" was shouted a couple of times by as many as a dozen gun enthusiasts in the meeting room as Neil Heslin, holding a photo of his slain 6-year-old son, Jesse Lewis, asked why Bushmaster assault-style weapons are allowed to be sold in the state.
"There are a lot of things that should be changed to prevent what happened," said Heslin, who said he grew up using guns and was undisturbed by the interruption of his testimony.
"That wasn't just a killing, it was a massacre," said Heslin, who recalled dropping off his son at Sandy Hook Elementary school shortly before Lanza opened fire. "I just hope some good can come out of this."

The gun debate has raged all over the country in the wake of the Newtown tragedy, although perhaps no where louder than in the state in which it unfolded. Connecticut lawmakers have already considered a wide-range of gun-related legislation in the weeks since the shooting, including proposals that would enact a 50-percent tax on ammunition, expand the state's existing assault-weapons ban and outlaw large-capacity magazines.

As the Wall Street Journal explained yesterday, Monday's hearing was also the site of Connecticut-based gunmakers "most robust public statements" since the shooting, with company officials pushing back against those calling for stricter gun control. "As we've seen the number of guns in society have increased, yet the violent crime rate has decreased," Joseph Bartozzi, senior VP of general counsel of Mossberg & Sons Inc., told lawmakers. "To say it's all about guns I think simply is a disservice."

***Follow @JoshVoorhees and the rest of the @slatest team on Twitter.***

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Replies (121-130):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM
It wasn't. How dense are you ?

Quoting candlegal:

And of course you would believe a video that has been edited, No surprise..... considering...........

Quoting lga1965:

Of course you wouldn't think he was being heckled. No surprise.......considering......

Quoting candlegal:

Heckled?   Don't think so.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Really? What are the major differances between an ar15 and a remington 750?

Quoting Citygirlk:

Lol a real hunter would laugh In your face for that comment.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I don't care if she knows the ons and outs of every single weapon on the market, but she's sitting here saying anyone who thinks they have the right to own an ar is mentally ill, and then doesn't even know anything about it. She's making statements based on a picture and not information. That's irritating.

And yes iga, ar's can and are used for hunting.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Iga, she knows what kind of gun it is. She is one of those folks who thinks you're not allowed to have an opinion on gun rights unless you know everything there is to know about guns. My dad was an intelligence officer during the Vietnam War. I know a lot about weapons. I learned to shoot when I was 9. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with her over who knows more about guns, because quite frankly, it doesn't matter who knows more about them. I understand the Second Amendment, and I have a right to voice my opinion on the matter.

Quoting lga1965:

The picture is PART OF THE ARTICLE, dingbat. Click on the LINK and you will find out.

Geeeeze, do I have to do everythng for you? Explain everything?Its all there for you, but youre too lazy to CLICK?

......wow....

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

You purposely put a pic of this gun up to mislead people on what it is. So I ask you again, do you know? Do you know what guns it is like?

Quoting lga1965:

The article gives you all of the information...read it. CAn this gun be used for hunting? If not, then nobody needs it.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Please, do tell what kind of gun it is, how many bullets it holds, and at what rate they are released.... Or are ypu just going for the "oh it looks scary like a machine gun" effect

Quoting lga1965:

Here's another article about this. Please notice the gun that the woman is holding. Does the average citizen NEED one of them? NO. Hell no. If they think they do, then they probably have some serious mental disturbances. Really.

http://news.yahoo.com/newtown-parents-urge-enforcement-gun-laws-171101155.html

Firearms Training Unit Detective Barbara J. Mattson of the Connecticut State Police holds up a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle, the same make and model of gun used by Adam Lanza in the Sandy Hook School shooting, for a demonstration during a hearing of a legislative subcommittee reviewing gun laws, at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford, Conn., Monday, Jan. 28, 2013. The parents of children killed in the Newtown school shooting called for better enforcement of gun laws Monday at the legislative hearing. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TexasWife
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM

He got them from his mother. He didn't even use an assault rifle. The guy in the mall used a handgun. If you want to modify anything I guess it would need to be a psych eval because you already have to pass a background check. As for the schools we need something more than a little sign that says guns are not allowed. Also to make sure that parents use proper gun safety. This could have been avoided if she was the only one with the gun safe code.

Right now I am tired of the for guns: You gun toting crazy.

Against guns: Constition pisser.

Really name calling.

Quoting annabl1970:

No one is violating your rights.  This father, as others, just want  more regulations and control over  gun purchase. So we have less cases when some psychos shooting kids GET it?

Quoting soonergirl980:

I have every bit of sympathy for those families my heart breaks at their loss.

No you don't...  

However, their loss does not give them or anyone else the right to attempt to violate a Constitutional right given to me and MY kids. My cousin was killed by a drunk driver. He used a car to murder my cousin by breaking the law and driving drunk. Does that mean we should take away all cars because of the possibility that some will choose to break the law with them and kids might die? Owning cars isn't even a Constitutional right.

Quoting GLWerth:

It saddens me that some women in this group, ostensibly mothers, think it is OK (even laudable) to heckle a grieving father. 

They don't even seem to have the smallest bit of sympathy for his loss, but boy, do they LOVE their guns.

In my world, children are worth more than guns.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Quoting lga1965:

Well my gfil shoots them when they get in with his livestock other people use their fur others i dont know I was just pointing out that AR-15 can be used for hunting. Im not sure where people came up with the idea you can't
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Quoting cjsbmom:

That is just not accurate at all. Most states their are considered a predator and can been taken down at any time. There are a few that require seasons or permits or for them to be trapped but they are only considered protected in about 12 states.
mamabear0791
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM

He asked the question twice in the unedited version. Once would be rhetorical; twice means he really did want an answer. 

Quoting autodidact:

It was rhetorical question and it wasn't their place. They're classless assholes.

Quoting soonergirl980:

He wasn't heckled he asked a question and they answered. , asked why Bushmaster assault-style weapons are allowed to be sold in the state?

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

If someone can provide a legitimate news source for this editing information, instead of just a right-wing blog post, then I'll believe it. But right now, I see no legitimate evidence to support that claim.

Quoting lga1965:

It wasn't. How dense are you ?

Quoting candlegal:

And of course you would believe a video that has been edited, No surprise..... considering...........

Quoting lga1965:

Of course you wouldn't think he was being heckled. No surprise.......considering......

Quoting candlegal:

Heckled?   Don't think so.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Quoting candlegal:

Someone linked to the full video!
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sure he is looking for answers...I would be too if this had happened to my child. I can see repeatedly throwing that question out to the universe. And the last thing he probably wanted to hear was a gun zealot answer. Whether or not you agree with the question or the answer, it was an insensitive thing to do. Time and place people....

Quoting mamabear0791:

He asked the question twice in the unedited version. Once would be rhetorical; twice means he really did want an answer. 

Quoting autodidact:

It was rhetorical question and it wasn't their place. They're classless assholes.

Quoting soonergirl980:

He wasn't heckled he asked a question and they answered. , asked why Bushmaster assault-style weapons are allowed to be sold in the state?

North West Passage

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

So he wasn't heckled and people still need to insult gun enthusiasts?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured