Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

News Host Openly Says Abortion ‘Saved My Life’ But What About the Baby’s Life? Is it really worth it?

Posted by   + Show Post

News Host Openly Says Abortion ‘Saved My Life’ But What About the Baby’s Life?

Posted by Jenny Erikson on January 29, 2013

It’s always so touching when a TV news personality opens up on the air about how the decision to end the life of his unborn child “saved” him. No really -- that actually happened.  

Last Friday, MSNBC host Toure celebrated the 40th anniversary of Roe vs. Wade by sharing the story of when he and an old girlfriend decided 15 years ago to abort their baby, because it was, like, totally inconvenient.

During The Cycle, Toure told the audience, “In some ways that choice saved my life.” You see, it turns out that the girlfriend didn’t end up being the one, and giving birth to a live, healthy child would’ve just made “a mess of three lives.”

But wait! There’s more. Toure then went on to thank God and country for the right to abortion:

I thank God and country that when I fell into a bad situation, abortion was there to save me and keep me on a path toward building a strong family I have now. And I pray that safety net stays in place.

It’s unclear as to how one just “falls” into pregnancy (Did his penis trip and fall into her lady parts?), but we can gloss over that for the time being to talk about the ridiculousness of this particular situation. 

Here we have a guy in a committed relationship with a woman he calls his girlfriend, and he knocks her up. Now, instead of manning up and taking responsibility for the child that he helped create, he applauds mom’s decision to end the pregnancy, and then 15 years later claims that the death of that baby ‘saved’ him?

I bet that baby would have liked to be saved too, had he or she been consulted on the matter of their imminent death. Maybe that baby would be alive today, having been adopted by parents that waited years to meet their child. Or maybe Toure and his girlfriend raised him. The only thing that matters here is that you’ll be hard-pressed to come across a person that believes their parents should have aborted them for convenience’s sake.  

Like it or not, that’s a baby in there. A real, live baby with its own genetic code and DNA and everything. A child created by God. To turn around and thank God for the legal right to snuff out that life because pregnancy is icky is ludicrous. 

Abortion may ‘save’ someone from parenthood, but it does so at the cost of another person’s life. 

Is it really worth it?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lucky2785:

Some of these replies are ridiculous. I hope the man in this story suffers from severe impotence.

Karma, my dear.  Are you willing to suffer severe endrometriosis in exchange for the impotence you are wishing on this man?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting mandaday:

On a totally selfish note, if my husband's high school girlfriend had not aborted, my three sons would likely not exist, nor would the children she had with the man she went on to marry. So I can see his point.

I believe this is exactly what Toure is getting at.  His current children might not even exist now if not for the abortion 15 years ago.  So is the blog author willing to pit multiple current children's lives against one fetus's life?

There is no one right answer and that's why it's imperative that individual's make their own individual decisions.

This this this this this this this.

clowery
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this
They could have gave the baby up for adoption so the baby would have a chance at life .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I really despise jenny. That cow.

parentalrights1
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Sure they could have. But they didn't fucking want to so tough tittie.

Quoting clowery:

They could have gave the baby up for adoption so the baby would have a chance at life .

Lurion
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

My exbf wanted me to abort.

Turns out the biggest "mess" it made was to his own life.

I had the priveledge of raising the most beautiful, lovely, amazing daughter. We are both strong, smart, loving and responsible people. It hurt her not to have her father in her life, but by no stretch did it completely mess up our lives. 

He went about his life as if nothing happened. Now he has to live with himself, knowing he didn't step up to the plate...and his wife bitching and moaning for 18 years about the piddly $300 a month taken out of his paycheck. 

(PS I am pro-choice, this was the right choice for me at the time.)

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

some wingnut from the stir.  

Quoting LucyMom08:

Who is this 'author'?

mandaday
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I'm willing to bet she would pit that life against those of his children he has now. People like his kids and my kids don't count. They've already been born.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting mandaday:

On a totally selfish note, if my husband's high school girlfriend had not aborted, my three sons would likely not exist, nor would the children she had with the man she went on to marry. So I can see his point.

I believe this is exactly what Toure is getting at.  His current children might not even exist now if not for the abortion 15 years ago.  So is the blog author willing to pit multiple current children's lives against one fetus's life?

There is no one right answer and that's why it's imperative that individual's make their own individual decisions.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
The argument of saying the baby would have wanted to be saved if asked is silly because most kids scream that they never asked to be here. If we were able to ask, how many kids would want to opt out from the start? Would we let them?
SWasson
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Word. You should pat yourself on the back for that paragraph.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Yes, it is really worth it.

I am sure this individual is not alone in his feelings regarding abortion.  I believe many, many individuals who have chosen abortion feel the same way.  Nothing wrong with that.  They found themselves in an undesirable situation and used what they believed was the best option to deal with that situation.  Isn't that what we all do throughout our lives?

I think the only person who has any place to judge his feelings on the matter is the woman who was his girlfriend at the time.  The woman who actually had the abortion.  I would think it's quite likely though that she feels the same way he does right now.

As for this part - "I bet that baby would have liked to be saved too, had he or she been consulted on the matter of their imminent death."  This arguement always makes the person making the arguement look like a total dipshit in my opinion.  Obviously, an unborn, barely developed person cannot be consulted on the matter of anything and is completely oblivious to even it's own state of being.  To make a statement like "had he or she been consulted..." is just trying to engender emotion and shows a complete lack of logical foothold in the arguement.

Not to mention that I have met a person online who was very serious about believeing that their own mother should have aborted them.  I think people like that are more numberous than the blog author would like to believe.

If this blog author wants to be taken seriously, they need to use more fact-based arguements and leave out the emotional propaganda.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN