Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News Host Openly Says Abortion ‘Saved My Life’ But What About the Baby’s Life? Is it really worth it?

Posted by   + Show Post

News Host Openly Says Abortion ‘Saved My Life’ But What About the Baby’s Life?

Posted by Jenny Erikson on January 29, 2013

It’s always so touching when a TV news personality opens up on the air about how the decision to end the life of his unborn child “saved” him. No really -- that actually happened.  

Last Friday, MSNBC host Toure celebrated the 40th anniversary of Roe vs. Wade by sharing the story of when he and an old girlfriend decided 15 years ago to abort their baby, because it was, like, totally inconvenient.

During The Cycle, Toure told the audience, “In some ways that choice saved my life.” You see, it turns out that the girlfriend didn’t end up being the one, and giving birth to a live, healthy child would’ve just made “a mess of three lives.”

But wait! There’s more. Toure then went on to thank God and country for the right to abortion:

I thank God and country that when I fell into a bad situation, abortion was there to save me and keep me on a path toward building a strong family I have now. And I pray that safety net stays in place.

It’s unclear as to how one just “falls” into pregnancy (Did his penis trip and fall into her lady parts?), but we can gloss over that for the time being to talk about the ridiculousness of this particular situation. 

Here we have a guy in a committed relationship with a woman he calls his girlfriend, and he knocks her up. Now, instead of manning up and taking responsibility for the child that he helped create, he applauds mom’s decision to end the pregnancy, and then 15 years later claims that the death of that baby ‘saved’ him?

I bet that baby would have liked to be saved too, had he or she been consulted on the matter of their imminent death. Maybe that baby would be alive today, having been adopted by parents that waited years to meet their child. Or maybe Toure and his girlfriend raised him. The only thing that matters here is that you’ll be hard-pressed to come across a person that believes their parents should have aborted them for convenience’s sake.  

Like it or not, that’s a baby in there. A real, live baby with its own genetic code and DNA and everything. A child created by God. To turn around and thank God for the legal right to snuff out that life because pregnancy is icky is ludicrous. 

Abortion may ‘save’ someone from parenthood, but it does so at the cost of another person’s life. 

Is it really worth it?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

it's a fetus in there and yes if they didn't want it and couldn't take care of it they should have the right to decide for themselves what course of action to take. i mean isn't the point of life, the end game getting into heaven. The "baby" gets to skip the middle stuff and go straight to Heaven... which is the ultimate goal in the Christian world isnt it? I don't see the problem.

i think they made the right decision for them. you constantly here how evil single mothers are and broken families make broken children.... look they avoided that. i'm telling you, you just cant win. Oh thats right you can keep your legs closed (dont you love how you rarely hear keep it in your pants) and if you make a mistake or deviat from the plan before marriage then there is really just no winning.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Do I personally think abortion is worth it in these cases?  Nope.  But, I obviously don't share this man's opinion.  I'm still pro-choice and believe the government needs to stay out of the very personal decisions of others.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting CDMelty:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/15/i-wish-my-mother-aborted-me

There. The author says they can't find anyone who wishes they'd been aborted for their parents' convenience so here's someone who does.

I have spoken with adults who had been adopted and some told me that they wish their Bio mum had aborted them. One ended up committing suicide. :(

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I don't care if it saved "his" life, I care about the woman, and her choice. Taking away the legal choice, isn't going to make things wonderful, unicorns will not start prancing down the street among all of these happily "saved" children. I could understand if that would happen, but lets be realistic here, a woman's uterus is her own, and only she should decide whether or not to carry out a pregnancy.

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM

So would not overturning the law of the land extend to something like gay marriage?  Many areas of the country have legislation against that; should we ignore what the government in their localities has deemed legal and try to advocate marriage equality for all?  Slavery was once government-sanctioned, should Christians not have been abolitionists?

Quoting IhartU:

“Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which god has established. The authorities that exist have been established by god. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what god has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he shall commend you. For he is god’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is god’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. There fore it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are god’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes, if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”

Clearly it is the job of Christians to obey the laws, and the laws of this country clearly state that abortion is legal. So too should Christians respect and honor that law. God commands them to NOT disobey, which entails attempting to get the law overturned. If god wanted abortion to be illegal he wouldn’t have appointed authorities to make it legal.

Mama2Spencerninja

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

So easy to judge from the outside. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quoting NewMom11222011:

So would not overturning the law of the land extend to something like gay marriage?  Many areas of the country have legislation against that; should we ignore what the government in their localities has deemed legal and try to advocate marriage equality for all?  Slavery was once government-sanctioned, should Christians not have been abolitionists?

Quoting IhartU:

“Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which god has established. The authorities that exist have been established by god. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what god has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he shall commend you. For he is god’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is god’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. There fore it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are god’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes, if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”

Clearly it is the job of Christians to obey the laws, and the laws of this country clearly state that abortion is legal. So too should Christians respect and honor that law. God commands them to NOT disobey, which entails attempting to get the law overturned. If god wanted abortion to be illegal he wouldn’t have appointed authorities to make it legal.

Well, those people may not be Christians in the sense that they didn't accept what was law and thought they needed to change it. Slavery was perfectly fine in the Bible- God never said it was wrong. Humans took it upon themselves to say it was- which in essence is going against what God wanted.

Anyway, I don't really care seeing as I'm not a Christian. I let my common sense, empathy, compassion and gut feelings lead me. No need to worry if I'm doing what some God wants me to.

Dewinter
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree, there is not one person I know that would approve of or agree to being ripped from their nice warm bed, limbs torn off one at a time, just so they would not be an inconvenienceto someone else. Everyone has the right to live . Just because these babies don't have a voice does not mean they want to die by the very hands of the  people that are supposed to protect them.

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Since you are so ready to donate someone else's body and possibly their life, so strangers can have a baby, I take it you donate your body for others or at the very least have no problem giving up a few bucks in tax money so poor people who are already here can eat and have healthcare, and you have adopted all the orphans that are already here.

Quoting clowery:

They could have gave the baby up for adoption so the baby would have a chance at life .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Yep

Quoting rfurlongg:

So easy to judge from the outside. 

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured