Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Anyone use the diva cup, moon cup , or cloth pads?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 39 Replies

How well does it work? How much money did you spend upfront? Did you or would you go back to disposables? 

So it's not exactly news or hot but anything could be considered a topic, maybe.  ; ) 

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I use cloth.  I made mine from 3 to 4 layers of flannel stitched together in a rectangle about the length and double the width of a regular size maxi pad.  Mine were very cheap to make, probably around 15 or 20 cents a piece, because I bought used baby flannel blankets from thrift stores and cut them up.  A 30 in square blanket yeielded 4 to 6 pads.

I love them.  They are soft and comfy and quite absorbant.  I could put a waterproof fabric on the back to improve them but I love the breathability these have.  They need to be changed about as often as regular pads do.

matofour
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM
I use a diva cup. I spent less than 20. I love it.
Wouldn't ever use anything else at this point.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I use a diva. Had it forever. Keep forgetting to replace it but it still works the same as when i bought it. Just sucks trying to clean the holes in it. Love it! Idk how much i spent but it was worth it.
angevil53
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Do they leak through? Do you put them against you or in your underwear first? I'm allergic to adhesive and get a rash when i use pads after delivery.

Quoting eema.gray:

I use cloth.  I made mine from 3 to 4 layers of flannel stitched together in a rectangle about the length and double the width of a regular size maxi pad.  Mine were very cheap to make, probably around 15 or 20 cents a piece, because I bought used baby flannel blankets from thrift stores and cut them up.  A 30 in square blanket yeielded 4 to 6 pads.

I love them.  They are soft and comfy and quite absorbant.  I could put a waterproof fabric on the back to improve them but I love the breathability these have.  They need to be changed about as often as regular pads do.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Nope. I just use normal pads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow! When my mom was young in the 1920's and they used cloth pads, all women hated it. Because they had to. And because they were drenched in a short time and they stunk too. If I had used those cloth thingies, I would have been changing them every half hour . I wouldn't have been able to leave my home.

Are you serious ? I am all for natural products too....but, this is ridiculous.

The cup thing would have overflowed too often, I am, sure....

DO you ladies stay home?

Geeeee.

lga1965
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Nope. I just use normal pads.

Me too--super pads and a super tampax...I am so glad I went through menopause. Menopause was a breeze compared to periods. Flood city.

There is no way I would have been able to leave home if I used a cloth pad,even with waterproof material on one side. Wow....

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I've used a cup before I had kids- afterward it wasn't comfortable for me anymore.

I had great success for many years using a natural sea sponge instead of tampons (*noe to self: check around online for these).

I have been using cloth pads for like 20 years...I cloth diapered both my kids and would always check thrift stores for diaper covers and extra inserts. I would use the inserts (used for overnight cloth diapering for extra absorbency) for my period. Also bought some online. So-o-o much more comfortable than disposable pads. 

My dd12 will use them (tampons for swim practice days) & I know she's gotten her period when I see the large plastic coffee container under the sink. It makes a perfect cold water soaker pail.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I use cloth...I love them...I spent about $25 on them, and they are still in great condition...and they are so freaking comfortable...

I will never go back to disposable. My periods are shorter now, and lighter for some reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I haven't had any problems with leaking through, not yet anyway.  I've used them for one period so far (pregnancy and nursing, LOL).  I just slip them in my underwear.

I have so much trouble with those huge post partum pads, I started using my baby's flushable g diaper inserts laid into undies!  Much more comfortable for those first few gruesome days.

Quoting angevil53:

Do they leak through? Do you put them against you or in your underwear first? I'm allergic to adhesive and get a rash when i use pads after delivery.

Quoting eema.gray:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)